Easiest school to get into - and the the 4 schools im looking at, currently

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the4ork

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon all,

I'm a non-traditional student residing in California. I'm applying (hopeuflly) to the Navy's health professions scholarship program.

The way the program works is, I cant apply for the program until i get an acceptance letter. So im looking at the easiest school to get accepted in - to get my letter. This isnt necessarily the school i will attend, but i need that letter in order to get the ball rolling. I can change schools after acceptance into the scholarship program.

So my question is, what are the easiest/fastest schools to be accepted into? I will have all my admission requirements by August for most schools.

The schools im seriously interested in are:

Nova - Fort Lauderdale Florida: Because I LOVE Florida, and it would be a good atmosphere for my wife and 2 young boys to be near the beach. I grew up in florida for a few years and loved it. Housing is about the same as my current location so I shoulnt have any problem finding a place less than what i currently pay on my mortgage (because i should pocket about $60-70k when i sell my house) I just started looking into this school and dont know much about it yet. Currently, its on the top of my list based off of geography.

Western University - Pomona CA: I really dont want to stay in CA because i absolutely hate this state, especially the politics, and the taxes, and how the state feels it should have its pockets and a say in everything that goes on in your life. I did however, go to the preview for this school and was impressed. Though, its the only preview I have been to. They also seem pretty lax on admission requirements. I would like to hear thoughts on this school.

University of Houston TX: I love Texas, and I have family in Houston. A big plus for me here is I can sell my house here in CA, walk away with about $60-70k in cash, and basically buy a house for twice that price... having half of it paid off right off the bat. This would keep my costs of living very low, and provide a good investment. Texas politics are great, the taxes are low, and the state keeps its hands out of your pockets and affairs. I dont know much about the school at this point.

University of Pikeville - Pikeville Kentuky: I hear this is a easy school to get into because its new. I hear the new schools have the most lax entrance because they need students. Other than that, the cost of living is kind of high (especially for kentuky), good politics. Likely will not buy a house here, would rent. thats a negative. It was on the top of my list, but the geography is killing it for me, especially the price and availability of homes - rent or purchase.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi the4ork,

I see you have a unique situation, but I hope you choose a school that you like and fits with your needs. I believe it will be easy to get into any school as long as you are highly competitive, exceed their requirements, and do extremely well on your OAT. Make sure you apply to schools that you are qualified for, and that should make the application process easier.

I'm not familiar with any of the schools you mentioned, except for NOVA, as I recently lived close to NOVA. I have heard that NOVA is not particularly easy to get into as they have become more competitive over the years, as most schools are becoming. I have also heard that newer schools are easier to get into, but I wouldn't personally know.

Your best bet would be to contact the schools you're interested in and tell them your stats and ask what your chances are of getting in. Best of luck to you, and good luck with your OAT and applications.

If you have any questions, feel free to msg me personally. I attend PCO/Salus, which is not one of your choices, but I'm always willing to give advice.

Good afternoon all,

I'm a non-traditional student residing in California. I'm applying (hopeuflly) to the Navy's health professions scholarship program.

The way the program works is, I cant apply for the program until i get an acceptance letter. So im looking at the easiest school to get accepted in - to get my letter. This isnt necessarily the school i will attend, but i need that letter in order to get the ball rolling. I can change schools after acceptance into the scholarship program.

So my question is, what are the easiest/fastest schools to be accepted into? I will have all my admission requirements by August for most schools.

The schools im seriously interested in are:

Nova - Fort Lauderdale Florida: Because I LOVE Florida, and it would be a good atmosphere for my wife and 2 young boys to be near the beach. I grew up in florida for a few years and loved it. Housing is about the same as my current location so I shoulnt have any problem finding a place less than what i currently pay on my mortgage (because i should pocket about $60-70k when i sell my house) I just started looking into this school and dont know much about it yet. Currently, its on the top of my list based off of geography.

Western University - Pomona CA: I really dont want to stay in CA because i absolutely hate this state, especially the politics, and the taxes, and how the state feels it should have its pockets and a say in everything that goes on in your life. I did however, go to the preview for this school and was impressed. Though, its the only preview I have been to. They also seem pretty lax on admission requirements. I would like to hear thoughts on this school.

University of Houston TX: I love Texas, and I have family in Houston. A big plus for me here is I can sell my house here in CA, walk away with about $60-70k in cash, and basically buy a house for twice that price... having half of it paid off right off the bat. This would keep my costs of living very low, and provide a good investment. Texas politics are great, the taxes are low, and the state keeps its hands out of your pockets and affairs. I dont know much about the school at this point.

University of Pikeville - Pikeville Kentuky: I hear this is a easy school to get into because its new. I hear the new schools have the most lax entrance because they need students. Other than that, the cost of living is kind of high (especially for kentuky), good politics. Likely will not buy a house here, would rent. thats a negative. It was on the top of my list, but the geography is killing it for me, especially the price and availability of homes - rent or purchase.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or thoughts?

Houston takes quite a while to hear back from (I'm in-state and have a few pulls from the school and haven't heard back from them. A girlfriend of mine that goes there said the same thing so if you need a quick reply I would not recommend it.)

Also make note that if you're doing applications now it's smack dab in the middle of holidays- these schools won't get back to you probably around middle of January.

I applied to quite a few places but the first to respond to me were SCO, UMSL, Midwestern IL, and Salus (I got interview offers the day or the next day I submitted).

I interviewed with SCO the next Monday and got an acceptance call that Wednesday. I'm not sure how quick the other schools are though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey thanks for your input. I'll definately take a look at that school in PA.

I've applied, interviewed, and gotten into both. Message me if you have any specific questions. Happy to help.

Also, I heard back from Houston the next day.

Last edited: