Early Decision 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

btcao

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm thinking of applying Early Decision to Ohio State COP. Anybody else doing early decision for this school or in general? I would love to know some feedback before I make a crucial decision.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello there,
I am applying for ED, but to Pacific U Oregon. I think my stats are decent and I just want to get it over with.
I would say only apply for ED if you're 100% sure that you want to go to Ohio State and you're confident in your stats.

Hi, I'm thinking of applying Early Decision to Ohio State COP. Anybody else doing early decision for this school or in general? I would love to know some feedback before I make a crucial decision.

Hope you don't mind me piggy backing off of your post but I am considering early decision Midwestern Glendale. How does early decision work and is there any risk involved? Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
When you apply for ED, your account will be temporarily locked. You will not be allow to apply to any other schools. All schools participating in Early Decision have to make their decision by October 20th. By then, if you are rejected, your account is available for you to apply for regular cycle. If you are accepted, you have to attend. The risky part is, if you do not get accepted to your ED school, your account is locked until October 20th, people applying in regular admission are already submitting their secondaries to schools by October 20th. So your application will be on the later side, as we know, the earlier you submit the better off you are. That is the risky part that is holding me back.. But Ohio stats for ED was pretty alluring. They had 38 ED applicants, and admitted 35. The 3 they didn't admit was due to prerequisite courses not being complete on time. Maybe you can call Midwestern Glendale and ask them about their ED stats of last year?

Reactions: 1 users
When you apply for ED, your account will be temporarily locked. You will not be allow to apply to any other schools. All schools participating in Early Decision have to make their decision by October 20th. By then, if you are rejected, your account is available for you to apply for regular cycle. If you are accepted, you have to attend. The risky part is, if you do not get accepted to your ED school, your account is locked until October 20th, people applying in regular admission are already submitting their secondaries to schools by October 20th. So your application will be on the later side, as we know, the earlier you submit the better off you are. That is the risky part that is holding me back.. But Ohio stats for ED was pretty alluring. They had 38 ED applicants, and admitted 35. The 3 they didn't admit was due to prerequisite courses not being complete on time. Maybe you can call Midwestern Glendale and ask them about their ED stats of last year?

I was just about to ask how you got those ED stats for Ohio....that would definitely give me a idea. Is the ED process done directly through PharmCAS?

I am deciding right now whether or not to do ED at UIC. The only other school I am looking at is Washington and maybe Minnesota, but I'm getting the feeling that it is a reach. I'm from Indiana so UIC is pretty close which is good and bad. I like that you get in state tuition if you get in ED. I have average/bellow average gpa (3.3) but a really strong upward trend with the grades. Had a bad sophomore slump. I have been a tech all summer. I have been to Seattle but not recently and cannot visit before the fifth. The GF does NOT want to stay in the midwest and I used to be that way, but at this point I think it makes sense considering UIC's ranking and the sweet deal I'd be getting. Seattle is pretty expensive and it seems like the job market out there is tough.

I am deciding right now whether or not to do ED at UIC. The only other school I am looking at is Washington and maybe Minnesota, but I'm getting the feeling that it is a reach. I'm from Indiana so UIC is pretty close which is good and bad. I like that you get in state tuition if you get in ED. I have average/bellow average gpa (3.3) but a really strong upward trend with the grades. Had a bad sophomore slump. I have been a tech all summer. I have been to Seattle but not recently and cannot visit before the fifth. The GF does NOT want to stay in the midwest and I used to be that way, but at this point I think it makes sense considering UIC's ranking and the sweet deal I'd be getting. Seattle is pretty expensive and it seems like the job market out there is tough.

I was in a similar situation to you. My cGPA is a 3.54 and I was debating whether or not to submit my ED app to U of M (average accepted GPA is 3.5) or apply regular to multiple programs. Did you take the PCAT? If you scored well on the PCAT I don't think the .1 difference in your GPA and their average would be a big deal, and schools will take note of your upward trend as well. On the supplemental app on PharmCAS U of M had additional information about that they consider competitive, (3.3+ GPA, 70+ PCAT, 2~3 years healthcare experience etc) so after reading that I decided to submit my application for ED. You should try to inquire more information from UIC.

I was in a similar situation to you. My cGPA is a 3.54 and I was debating whether or not to submit my ED app to U of M (average accepted GPA is 3.5) or apply regular to multiple programs. Did you take the PCAT? If you scored well on the PCAT I don't think the .1 difference in your GPA and their average would be a big deal, and schools will take note of your upward trend as well. On the supplemental app on PharmCAS U of M had additional information about that they consider competitive, (3.3+ GPA, 70+ PCAT, 2~3 years healthcare experience etc) so after reading that I decided to submit my application for ED. You should try to inquire more information from UIC.

Thanks, which M are you at? MI or MN, both are great. I got a 96 pr on the July pcat and I've been a tech for a few months. Letters are in the works but I think they will be strong. But scratch my previous comment bout UWashington. Just found out my biochem won't count, so I'd need three courses for them. That combined with the high tuition takes them off my list I think. Looking for more of an urban feel. I spent 5 years at Indiana for undergrad and want a change from college town life.

Thanks, which M are you at? MI or MN, both are great. I got a 96 pr on the July pcat and I've been a tech for a few months. Letters are in the works but I think they will be strong. But scratch my previous comment bout UWashington. Just found out my biochem won't count, so I'd need three courses for them. That combined with the high tuition takes them off my list I think. Looking for more of an urban feel. I spent 5 years at Indiana for undergrad and want a change from college town life.

I'm at MI lol.

Since your composite is high I wouldn't stress abut the fact your GPA is slightly below average. I also had a bad sophomore year partly because my dad was diagnosed with ALS and his health started declining fast and school just wasn't important to me in freshman/sophomore year. I ended up failing cell biology. I retook it at the same school and got an A and also scored well on the pcat and got a 98 in biology, so hopefully both of those together make up for the awful grade. Even though my pharmcas GPA is above a 3.5 I'm still pretty worried about it since I don't know how forgiving top tier schools are when it comes to failing grades. As long as you don't have any F's, I wouldn't be worried at all if I were you and would submit ED at UIC with no reservations.

I'm also a tech, I've been working sine 2016 and am fully licensed. Some pharmacists have told me school's don't care about tech experience and others have told me it helps a ton. Thankfully the pharmacist I got one of my letters from is UofM COP alum and thinks that technician experience is extremely valuable. Some people on this forum say research looks better than tech experience. I went into applications thinking my tech experience would be a huge help, but now I don't know what to think.

Is one of your letters from a pharmacist? I think that would help a lot and would make your application more unique.

Last edited:

Hi there! I'm a bit late to the party, so I'm going to just operate under the assumption that you've applied ED. I know ED applications were due September 5th, and interviews are being conducted October 12-13. When do you think ED applicants will receive an invitation for an interview?

has anyone else applied ED to Midwestern University - CHicago? thank you