Duke GI fellowship placement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kb7878kb

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone happen to know where other Duke residents going into GI have matched. I only have the list from the 2008-2009 class in which 2 Duke residents matched into GI at Duke. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone happen to know where other Duke residents going into GI have matched. I only have the list from the 2008-2009 class in which 2 Duke residents matched into GI at Duke. Thanks!

i was under the impression that the list provided was complete. It may have been an odd year in that only 2 applied for GI?

Odd years happen, especially the smaller the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe the list for the 2008-2009 class is complete. I was simply asking about previous classes as other programs have provided this information over several years.

Duke resident here - last year 2 people applied to GI, both matched at their top choice, which happened to be Duke.
I believe last year everyone who applied for fellowship from Duke matched at their #1 choice in every specialty.
In addition to the "brand name", I think Duke tends to set you up well for fellowship since there is a strong focus on career development:

1) You can work with a mentor in their subspecialty clinic as a resident (helps gain exposure to the field as well as a letter of recommendation).
2) Ther are loads of research opportunities regardless of your interests.
3) in terms of GI, the GI program director serves as an additional advisor to everyone applying to GI. He will generally meet early on with any resident who is thinking of GI to develop an individualized application strategy.

This is a rough list for the past 5 years of GI matches for Duke residents.

Duke x9, Pitt x2, Wake Forest x2, UTSW, Mayo, Vanderbilt, Penn, Cleveland Clinic

Historically, GI has not been as hotly pursued by Duke residents as it may be at some other top programs. If I recall correctly, 2 applied last year, 2 the year before, and 3 the year before that. It's simply resident preference, plus many choose Duke for its well-known cardiology program. On the other hand, those who applied to GI obviously matched well.