Duke DPT c/o 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got my acceptance too! Congrats everyone! Cannot wait to see you all there.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm so happy for everyone!! I wonder when they will make the facebook page. if anyone wants to connect on facebook, feel free to PM me!

Reactions: 2 users
I got in too! Congratulations to everyone who got accepted! I can't wait to meet you guys in Durham soon! Good luck to everyone applying Regular Decision!

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats everyone! I was accepted :)

Congrats to everyone, I'm so excited to meet you! And good luck to everyone else who has applied!

Congrats to everyone! I was also accepted, can't wait to meet you all next fall!

I can make one this weekend if no one beats me to it!

I think they make the official class page, but it would be nice to have one everyone can join in the meantime!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey y'all, I went ahead and made a Facebook group "Duke DPT 2021" for our class so everyone can start joining and getting to know each other.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you guys don't mind, those were accepted, what were your statistics?

Overall GPA- 3.95
Pre-req GPA- 3.85
GRE- V157 Q158 A4.0
300+ volunteer in outpatient, 60 pediatrics, 80 acute care, 180 paid hours in an orthopedic clinic

I had 4 letters of recommendation from 2 PTs, a professor who was also a PT I shadowed, and my boss from a research position I had for three years.
I have also held several positions in various clubs on campus.

Major:
Kinesiology (Sports Medicine Concentration)
Overall GPA: 3.82
Pre-Req GPA: 3.65
GRE: 160V 156Q 3.5AW

Extra-Curricular:
Kinesiology Club, Bronze Leadership Challenge, Kinesiology Commencement Honor Marshall, Club Lacrosse Secretary, Campus Activities Board Member, Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society, Employee for my University's Facilities and Game Operations (2+ years), Retail Sales Associate (5+ years), Retail Store Lead/Key holder (new position), Volunteer for a Summer Enrichment Program for refugee and immigrant youth (42 hours), Muscular Dystrophy Association Summer Camp Counselor (144 hours), Muscular Dystrophy Association Muscle Walk Volunteer (8 hours)

Observation:
138 hours [30 outpatient orthopedics, 30 inpatient rehab, 30 geriatrics (SNF/Extended-care facility), and 48 outpatient pediatrics (@ a Duke University Health System location)]

LOR:
Kinesiology professor/academic advisor, Duke DPT alumna (from pediatric location), Duke DPT alumna (from inpatient rehab location)

University: University of Virginia
Major: Kinesiology
Overall GPA: ~3.4
Pre-Req GPA: ~3.2
GRE: Q 155 V 161 AW 5.0

Extracurriculars: Gamma Phi Beta Sorority, Voyeuristic Intention Club

Observation Hours: 119 hrs outpatient (orthopedic), 60 hrs inpatient (geriatric)

Letters of Recommendation: 2 orthopedic PTs, 1 geriatric PT, and a kinesiology professor who was also a PT

Applying to: Duke (ED)

Acceptances: Duke

Rejections: N/A

Interviews: N/A

Thank you! You are all so impressive!

Major: Health Science Pre-PT, Exercise Science Minor
GPA: 3.8
Pre Req GPA: 3.7
GRE: 164V 155Q 4A

Hours: 1885 hrs - 30 inpatient rehab, 30 acute, 65 special needs pediatrics, 1760 outpatient clinic
LOR - PT I volunteered with, PT who I researched with and is DPT faculty at my university, Dean of Honors College, Anatomy Professor

Extra-Curric: Pre-PT Club (Vice President), Honors College, Alpha Lambda Delta Honors Society, InterVarsity Christian Fellowship, Sunday School Teacher, Anatomy Lab Teaching Assistant, Honors College Teaching Assistant, Admissions Ambassador, Orientation Group Leader, Physics Grader, Physical Therapy Tech, Swim Instructor, Nightwatch (housing job), OUCARES (volunteering to run programs for people with autism)

University: Ohio State
Major: Athletic Training, Developmental Psychology minor
Overall GPA: 3.7
Pre-Req GPA: 3.6
GRE: Q 152 V 147 AW 4.0

Extracurriculars: AT Internship with Cleveland Indians Triple-A team, President & VP for AT Club (multiple years), President & Community Service for HRS student council, Eucharistic Minister, 4 or 5 various jobs within past few years, volunteer at hospital nursing floors

Observation Hours: ~200+ from in-patient, out-patient, sports clinic, and pediatrics

Letters of Recommendation: 2 PTs (OSU football & Triple-A fellow), AT program director, head AT (OSU football)

Hi! I am an international student from Taiwan and I got accepted in Duke DPT c/o 2021. I would like to share my stats so as to encourage those with similar background. Also hoping to let my classmates know me better.:clap:

University:
National Taiwan University (NTU)
Major: BS in physical therapy (transferred from the department of agronomy)
Overall GPA: 3.82 (calculated by World Education Services)
GRE: Q 169 V 151 AW 3.0 (English is not my native language so I tried to boost my score in quantitative)

Extracurricular & Experiences: Sport physical therapy service club for collegiate track and field athletes, Asia Physical Therapy Student Association Headquarter @ NTU, several court-side physical therapy service experiences for marathons and handball games, Research assistant in hospital, Field medic during compulsory military service, 2017 Taipei Universiade standby physical therapist, Violinist in college orchestra, Softball player (shortstop), Volunteer in a child development center for the blinds

Observation Hours: 1440 in 2 different hospitals in Taipei (out-patient and in-patient in orthopedics, neurological, cardiopulmonary and pediatrics), 480 oversea clinical placement in Hong Kong (university rehab clinic), all hours are done during my PT internship and verified by my clinical educators

Letters of Recommendation: 3 from professors who are also PTs and another from my supervisor when I was a research assistant, who is a retired physiatrist as well as an emeritus professor

With my background I had been considering post-professional programs (transitional-DPT) but later determined to pursue an entry-level degree because I knew there are gaps and differences in education and training methods between Taiwan and the United States. Although passing my license exam in my country, I still cannot practice via direct access due to medical law restriction. According to an alumnus graduated from my school who got his DPT degree in Northwestern, a few decent schools would not consider students with PT background to their entry-level DPT programs. So I am just extremely glad that Duke is willing to offer me admission!

Hope that helps and good luck with the application journey!

Last edited:
Hey twptCLC,

Congratulations on your admission! Did you apply early or regular decision?

Hey twptCLC,

Congratulations on your admission! Did you apply early or regular decision?
Thanks! I apply early decision because Duke has a high acceptance rate of ED applicants. Also lots of schools encourage us to apply early. So I submitted my application as soon as I was ready, though transcript arrival and verification took much longer than I expected.
Good luck if you're applying to Duke!

Hey has anyone heard anything for those who applied regular decision?

Hey has anyone heard anything for those who applied regular decision?
I applied regular decision and haven't heard anything yet, other than that they had all my materials and were passing them along to the admissions committee. I'm thinking it may be at least Dec-Jan before I hear anything, maybe later if it's a no.

they just sent me an update saying my application is still under review and they could review until April!

Is this another way of saying wait list or that they just havent gotten through all of the applications yet?

Is this another way of saying wait list or that they just havent gotten through all of the applications yet?
they'll tell you if it's a waitlist. they're still reviewing all apps.

Has anyone gotten an email that specified they are on the waitlist? I got the "still under review" email.

Hi! I am an international student from Taiwan and I got accepted in Duke DPT c/o 2021. I would like to share my stats so as to encourage those with similar background. Also hoping to let my classmates know me better.:clap:

University:
National Taiwan University (NTU)
Major: BS in physical therapy (transferred from the department of agronomy)
Overall GPA: 3.82 (calculated by World Education Services)
GRE: Q 169 V 151 AW 3.0 (English is not my native language so I tried to boost my score in quantitative)

Extracurricular & Experiences: Sport physical therapy service club for collegiate track and field athletes, Asia Physical Therapy Student Association Headquarter @ NTU, several court-side physical therapy service experiences for marathons and handball games, Research assistant in hospital, Field medic during compulsory military service, 2017 Taipei Universiade standby physical therapist, Violinist in college orchestra, Softball player (shortstop), Volunteer in a child development center for the blinds

Observation Hours: 1440 in 2 different hospitals in Taipei (out-patient and in-patient in orthopedics, neurological, cardiopulmonary and pediatrics), 480 oversea clinical placement in Hong Kong (university rehab clinic), all hours are done during my PT internship and verified by my clinical educators

Letters of Recommendation: 3 from professors who are also PTs and another from my supervisor when I was a research assistant, who is a retired physiatrist as well as an emeritus professor

With my background I had been considering post-professional programs (transitional-DPT) but later determined to pursue an entry-level degree because I knew there are gaps and differences in education and training methods between Taiwan and the United States. Although passing my license exam in my country, I still cannot practice via direct access due to medical law restriction. According to an alumnus graduated from my school who got his DPT degree in Northwestern, a few decent schools would not consider students with PT background to their entry-level DPT programs. So I am just extremely glad that Duke is willing to offer me admission!

Hope that helps and good luck with the application journey!
Hi, I am an international student interested in applying for DPT too! It is very encouraging to see your post!

Hi, I am an international student interested in applying for DPT too! It is very encouraging to see your post!
Thank you! If there is anything I can help with your application I am more than happy to do so. Feel free to PM me and good luck!

Has anyone who applied regular decision heard back yet? I got that "still under review" email in early December, but nothing since then.

Has anyone who applied regular decision heard back yet? I got that "still under review" email in early December, but nothing since then.
I also got that email, but haven’t gotten anything yet. To anyone who was accepted, what is/was the deadline to accept? I’m guessing we’ll get an email after that

I got that email too. I have a feeling we won't hear anything until after Jan 15 because that's when most deposits are due

Jan 12 is when deposits are due. But that's just for first wave of applicants. I'm sure once people decline their offer of admission, the next applications will receive offers of admission and I'm assuming will have 2 weeks to send in deposit since that seems like magic number from most schools.

Jan 12 is when deposits are due. But that's just for first wave of applicants. I'm sure once people decline their offer of admission, the next applications will receive offers of admission and I'm assuming will have 2 weeks to send in deposit since that seems like magic number from most schools.

Jan 12 is Duke's deadline, not the recommended one from PTCAS.

Y

Yeah I've been accepted already. They want their deposit by Friday.
Thats awesome--congrats!! Do you know how many people they accepted in this wave? I'm going there for a tour on Friday, but it would be really great to hear back from them next week

Thats awesome--congrats!! Do you know how many people they accepted in this wave? I'm going there for a tour on Friday, but it would be really great to hear back from them next week
I know this doesn’t answer your question, but in terms of people that have accepted admission the class is about halfway full according to the Facebook group we made ourselves (41 members)

Reactions: 4 users
I know this doesn’t answer your question, but in terms of people that have accepted admission the class is about halfway full according to the Facebook group we made ourselves (41 members)
That is helpful, thank you! I know the admissions committee meets 1-2x per month, so hopefully they will send out more decisions this week or next after seeing results from the 1/12 deadline.

Just got my acceptance too! Congrats everyone! Cannot wait to see you all there.
can you tell me your stats, please? Also some tips for getting in? I'm an undergrad student in my sophomore year and I'm so stressed! Duke is my dream school but I'm afraid I won't get in bc my gpa is kinda low at the moment but I'm working on bringing it up.

Is your pre-reqs gpa your gpa for your major specifically or is it your gpa for the prereqs the university requires?

Is your pre-reqs gpa your gpa for your major specifically or is it your gpa for the prereqs the university requires?

Pre-req GPA is the combined GPA of all the pre-req classes a school requires. As such, it will be different for nearly every school you apply to. Most schools do not pay attention to your major GPA, or even care what your major was. Typically only overall GPA, science GPA, and pre-req GPA are looked at. If you're only a sophomore now, you have plenty of time to raise your GPA and get into Duke!

University: University of Virginia
Major: Kinesiology
Overall GPA: ~3.4
Pre-Req GPA: ~3.2
GRE: Q 155 V 161 AW 5.0

Extracurriculars: Gamma Phi Beta Sorority, Voyeuristic Intention Club

Observation Hours: 119 hrs outpatient (orthopedic), 60 hrs inpatient (geriatric)

Letters of Recommendation: 2 orthopedic PTs, 1 geriatric PT, and a kinesiology professor who was also a PT

Applying to: Duke (ED)

Acceptances: Duke

Rejections: N/A

Interviews: N/A
Quick question:
were you ever scared you might not get in?I'm asking because compared to other applicants your GPA and pre-req GPA was lower but your scores are really good! I hope that I can do as well as you and get in as well. My GPA is kinda low at the moment and I'm trying to raise it up :)

Quick question:
were you ever scared you might not get in?I'm asking because compared to other applicants your GPA and pre-req GPA was lower but your scores are really good! I hope that I can do as well as you and get in as well. My GPA is kinda low at the moment and I'm trying to raise it up :)

Hi! Honestly, I was a little worried about not getting in because my GPA are lower than some of my other classmates. Since I had this concern, I put in a lot of effort to make sure that my GRE scores were competitive. I expressed my fears about my GPA to my dad and he ensured me that the rigor of the school would also be taken into account. While GPA and GRE scores may be a big part, they will look at all aspects of your application. If Duke is your dream school, I would highly encourage you to apply to early decision. I think that really helped my chances of getting in. Good luck with your journey! If you have any questions please feel free to ask!

Hey guys just as an update the class has around 73ish people in it (our canvas page was created today)

Usually between 80 and 85