Dual MD and DVM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SkyeDJR

The Skye's the Limit!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

This is my first time posting - it's neat to find a forum like this!

I'm interested in finding others who might be in a similar situation as mine, and in hearing ideas on how I can dovetail several strong interests into one (fun) career.

As background, I am Canadian, an MD (1995), board certified in Family Medicine (CCFP) and in Emergency Medicine (CCFP-EM), and have practiced in both disciplines off and on since 1999.

I am also a DVM (2003) and am currently finishing up a 3-year combined residency and DVSc (Doctor of Veterinary Science) in Zoo Animal Medicine and Pathology. This training will give me a post-doc degree (one tiny notch down from a PhD), clinical experience in exotic animal medicine and conservation issues, and eligibility to sit the American College of Zoological Medicine board exam. My DVSc also has exposed me to clinical/benchwork research, which I really enjoy.

Soooooo ... any ideas on what to do next? My main priority is to earn an income now after over two decades of paying tuition (ack!!), but a close second in the priority department is to have a career that is fun, challenging, and inspires passion.

Does anyone else here know of a dual MD/DVM, particularly one who practices in both disciplines?

Thanks!
Skye

Members don't see this ad.

SkyeDJR said:
Does anyone else here know of a dual MD/DVM, particularly one who practices in both disciplines?

I can't even conceive of how you might use both disciplines other than in academia (unless you find some pocket of lycanthrope :) ) I suggest you pick one.

Lab animal medicine working for a pharmaceutical company, or other industry jobs/research. Public health, military or government, CDC etc. Especially with the path background; there are lots of options.

Pathognomonic
DVM 2000
MD ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Law2Doc said:
I can't even conceive of how you might use both disciplines other than in academia (unless you find some pocket of lycanthrope :) ) I suggest you pick one.

Academia maybe the way to go.

SkyeDJR said:
Hi folks,

I'm interested in finding others who might be in a similar situation as mine, and in hearing ideas on how I can dovetail several strong interests into one (fun) career.

As background, I am Canadian, an MD (1995), board certified in Family Medicine (CCFP) and in Emergency Medicine (CCFP-EM), and have practiced in both disciplines off and on since 1999.

I am also a DVM (2003) and am currently finishing up a 3-year combined residency and DVSc (Doctor of Veterinary Science) in Zoo Animal Medicine and Pathology. This training will give me a post-doc degree (one tiny notch down from a PhD), clinical experience in exotic animal medicine and conservation issues, and eligibility to sit the American College of Zoological Medicine board exam. My DVSc also has exposed me to clinical/benchwork research, which I really enjoy.

Soooooo ... any ideas on what to do next? My main priority is to earn an income now after over two decades of paying tuition (ack!!), but a close second in the priority department is to have a career that is fun, challenging, and inspires passion.

Thanks!
Skye

Why dont' you specialize in exotic animals like you said, and then open up your own veterinary practice for exotic animals, and keep working in the ER. That way you have an income, while at the same time you can pursue what you enjoy. But to combine the both into one job, sorry can't see it. Unless genetic recombination creates half man half animal, you are out of business my friend.

hey there!
this might sound far fetched but why don't you keep working as a doctor and volunteer your time helping out at a shelter/humane society or some place that needs help with exotic animals etc. I'm sure there are many areas out there that could use your help! that way you can still earn a good income and use yer DVM degree to some sort!

or yeah maybe a biotechnology company or pharmaceutical industry works well too.....just a thought tho.....

very impressive though!!! How old are you???

also have u thought of working as a pathologist for an animal laboratory? many pathologist work at home reading slides....this way you can do that and work as an MD! =)

Thanks for the input so far ... some good suggestions for sure. While pathology has been part of my current residency, it's not something I want to make the main part of my career. I don't mind it being *part* of my career (e.g., perhaps as part of my research, or as a very small aspect of my job duties), but not the focus.

I enjoy clinical medicine, on both exotic species and humans. I've read the rare account of MD/DVMs in the past who have opened up a "dual" clinic, but I know of no current people who have built a custom career like that. I also enjoy research, but I think I'd miss the clinical aspect if I went down the doctor-scientist route and was *only* doing research.

I'm sure that I'll have to pick a path and head on it to see what develops, but I'm not at all convinced that I have to pick ONE of the two (i.e., MD or DVM). With time, contacts, and legwork, I think I can have my cake and eat it too! Also, in the current age of higher awareness of zoonotic disease, and with a stronger push for multidisciplinary approaches to public health & conservation medicine, I think that my rather unique credentials could help get me a job that DOES incorporate all of my skills to some degree.

It's a matter of knowing where to start, and who/where/how to network. I kinda suck at that!

To answer medtech's question, I'm 41.

Skye

Simple open up a WHOLE family clinic. Since now and days people consider fido and fluffy part of the family, why don't you prove it and open up shop where you treat both patients. Man comes in with a bad cold, and brings his cat with him for it's check up. You can market to people the opportunity to save time and have them and their 'other' family member be treated to. There are a lot of people really attached to their animals out there and you'd be their ideal doc. You could possibly through a sort of quick care twist in there too to utilize your EM side. OR... Get this, go to the country, and when you do the large animal stuff on the farm, also treat the whole family running their farm, and even the hired hands if its a bigger operation. OR... become a consultant for farming/ranching operations for improving the efficiences of animal viability AND human safety OR... move to some really depressed fourth world nation where your skills will be tapped to the max, and you'll be able to piddle with Trypanosoma on the side while in middle of nowhere Africa. <--This will be the biggest utilization of all your skills IMO.

I suspect you are trying to find the perfect career, which does not exist as a perfect job!

Take a step back and assess what aspects of various jobs you want to spend 90% of working life doing. With the benefits of the experiences that you've had, you should be able to come up with a short list at least. Research vs ppl vs paeds vs dogs vs whales vs the world....

From someone who's done some similar career wandering and wondering... I decided ppl were the way to go by the way... And on an individual level...

Don't have much to add except that I knew a dual MD/DVM who worked as a primate vet at a zoo and loved it.

Good luck to you!

Redneck said:
Simple open up a WHOLE family clinic. Since now and days people consider fido and fluffy part of the family, why don't you prove it and open up shop where you treat both patients. Man comes in with a bad cold, and brings his cat with him for it's check up. You can market to people the opportunity to save time and have them and their 'other' family member be treated to. There are a lot of people really attached to their animals out there and you'd be their ideal doc. You could possibly through a sort of quick care twist in there too to utilize your EM side. OR... Get this, go to the country, and when you do the large animal stuff on the farm, also treat the whole family running their farm, and even the hired hands if its a bigger operation. OR... become a consultant for farming/ranching operations for improving the efficiences of animal viability AND human safety OR... move to some really depressed fourth world nation where your skills will be tapped to the max, and you'll be able to piddle with Trypanosoma on the side while in middle of nowhere Africa. <--This will be the biggest utilization of all your skills IMO.

Do this in California (e.g. Bev. Hills) and I bet you would make a fortune. People spend thousands to get a massage for their dogs. I bet they would eat up the idea of a "Whole" family doctor.

Seems to me that there are one or two degrees that you haven't gotten yet. Maybe you could go back to school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why did you decide to persue the DVM after the MD? Did you have a career goal in mind at the time or were you looking to change gears all together?

Frozen Cdn: I pursued the DVM because it was my lifelong dream ... MD happened along the way as my "alternate career" because I couldn't get into vet school the first few times I applied (I got into med school on try #1, though). Once in my General Surgery residency (MD), I realized that there was no way that I could HAPPILY go through my life without giving vet med another try. So I switched from General Surgery into Family Medicine, did an extra year of Emerg Med, and then went to vet school and worked in Emerg to pay my way through school.

VelcoSky: ha ha on you.

Skye

SkyeDJR said:

Skye
I tease but I'm impressed.

I can't think of a way to practice medicine combining these two things, but it does seem like there would be a lot of people in research that would find your education very valuable. Especially pathology research. The CDC would probably jump all over someone with your skills.

By the way, would you care to compare med school to vet school? You have a unique insider look at both. I'd be really interested in what you had to say.

SkyeDJR said:
Frozen Cdn: I pursued the DVM because it was my lifelong dream ... MD happened along the way as my "alternate career" because I couldn't get into vet school the first few times I applied (I got into med school on try #1, though). Once in my General Surgery residency (MD), I realized that there was no way that I could HAPPILY go through my life without giving vet med another try. So I switched from General Surgery into Family Medicine, did an extra year of Emerg Med, and then went to vet school and worked in Emerg to pay my way through school.

Skye
I know of one who practices MD part time and does relief as a DVM. Works out great for her.

:laugh: You'de be quite the expert in terms of the whole "bird flu" situation I would guess :laugh: .

Hi folks,

Thanks!
Skye

pretty amazing! just wondering if you have children and a family at all?

OP - You are awesome. You're like the Costco of doctors. Get a JD and then I can get all my services at you.

Apparently there are some rural areas in the US where there are people who have both degrees and when they make house calls they first check up on the people then go out and check on the animals. Makes it easier on the patients I guess. I can't imagine doing that, I would be scared I would give the wrong species the wrong shot!

I always joke that my 6 year old is going to get a DVM/MD since she has no problems examining a dog and then examining a person (and only asking for the person's copay).

Please please please when you bump a 4 year old thread please state that you are doing so. That way others don't get confused and reply to posts made by folks who may no longer be using SDN. Thanks.

thought it was very unique and would be interesting.....

OP - You are awesome. You're like the Costco of doctors. Get a JD and then I can get all my services at you.

i know a physician who has the following:

DO, JD, MBA, 2 masters in something else

he left medicine and works as an attorney

I've always said if I were a wealthy, wealthy man I'd buy myself a seat in a veterinary school and then a medical school. I'd get licensed in both fields but probably only volunteer occasionally in both. Again, if I were a wealthy, wealthy man I'd be a globe trotter after seeing America of course. ;)

I'm back all these years later. I had forgotten about this discussion forum, then I was up late googling "MD, DVM" and came across the forum again and this thread. I thought I'd update for anyone interested.

Since I finished my zoo residency & DVSc in 2006, I ended up returning to human medicine primarily to repay the huge student debt I'd amassed. I kept a foot in the DVM door, though. For example, I ended up working in a rural/remote part of northern Ontario as a family doc/ER doc & hospitalist, but I also provided DVM services to some captive polar bears that were one town over from where I lived.

Since 2008, I've lived in eastern Ontario and have worked primarily as a family physician. I also am the consultant veterinarian for a local wildlife rehab centre, which I do casually (very part-time). In the last three years, I've branched out to include administrative medicine/healthcare systems consultation work which I do one day per week. I'm now contemplating other ways to include "OneHealth" in my career portfolio, but that thought is in its infancy at this point.

So, I seem to be using all three of my doctorate degrees: MD, DVM, and DVSc. I have a fairly good work-life balance now and enjoy competitive dressage/eventing as my main hobby. I also ended up adopting a school-age girl about three years ago and that's going really well. Life can be quite busy at times, but (mostly) in a good way.

Reactions: 5 users