Dual Degree Non-Traditional High School Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marvelers

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, everyone! Sorry for the length that this post is about to be.

I am currently a senior year high school student in Canada. I have taken business courses and have not taken any science courses. My family and I have been living in Canada for the past nine years and I have a desire to go back to the States to pursue medicine.

The thing that got me interested in the world of medicine was when I’d heard about a cousin of mine who’d applied to AUA and became a pediatrician. I eventually became inspired by her and began searching more about pediatrics, which led to me searching more about medicine.

After about a year of searching through business and medicine careers, I can now say that I am much more passionate about medicine.

I thought of a solution for applying to medical school in the States (I have no desire to live in Canada, as amazing as this country is): since I am a dual citizen I was thinking of applying to AMCAS after I take introductory science courses at university along with a business major.

But now I’m wondering if I should try to get into the States as an undergrad and apply after hopefully completing a business/pre-med track.

The thing that sucks is that I have no guidance as I would be the first member in my family to complete a university degree in Canada/US. So I was hoping this community would be willing to help me out on where I could study and how hard it would be to take introductory science courses as a pre-med as someone who’s never taken them?

Members don't see this ad.

Stay in Canada and go to a school in Canada where you can commute from home. Universities in US are grossly overpriced, and doing undergrad in US gives you minimal benefits in terms of competitiveness as a medical school applicant. Study hard in undergrad and get involved in extracurricular that interest you. Do those two things and continue to read up on the whole medical school application process (on SDN or Premed101, plenty of resources available), and you will do just fine.

Stay in Canada and go to a school in Canada where you can commute from home. Universities in US are grossly overpriced, and doing undergrad in US gives you minimal benefits in terms of competitiveness as a medical school applicant. Study hard in undergrad and get involved in extracurricular that interest you. Do those two things and continue to read up on the whole medical school application process (on SDN or Premed101, plenty of resources available), and you will do just fine.

Thanks! I was thinking of doing that. I feel like I know a lot more about Canadian universities anyway. Hopefully being an American citizen will make it more easier for me to apply through AMCAS. I’ve already made an account on AMCAS and updated my information.

And I’ve had a family friend of mine ask around for me, and I would not be considered an international applicant, since I’d (hopefully by that time) have family living in the States.

Do your mcat and apply both to USA and Can
Then pick from those unis in which you are accepted