Drug screen for residency and confidentiality?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunshine1160

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am prescribed Adderall by my outpatient provider and use the medication as prescribed. I intend to disclose this when I go for my drug screen. However, I am concerned as to confidentiality with regards to the fact that I don't want to have my future program director or program officials know about this.

I want to ensure that my health information would be kept confidential as I am taking the medication as prescribed and for a legitimate reason. Does anyone know if HIPPA applies here?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I am prescribed Adderall by my outpatient provider and use the medication as prescribed. I intend to disclose this when I go for my drug screen. However, I am concerned as to confidentiality with regards to the fact that I don't want to have my future program director or program officials know about this.

I want to ensure that my health information would be kept confidential as I am taking the medication as prescribed and for a legitimate reason. Does anyone know if HIPPA applies here?

Thanks
Generally speaking, employee health (who does all of the screens, mask fitting, etc) is a completely separate division from your program's hierarchy. HIPAA doesn't really apply, but most organizations firewall that information off. Your PD should just get a thumbs up or down on you being fit to work.

Reactions: 2 users
Generally speaking, employee health (who does all of the screens, mask fitting, etc) is a completely separate division from your program's hierarchy. HIPAA doesn't really apply, but most organizations firewall that information off. Your PD should just get a thumbs up or down on you being fit to work.

Thanks. It is employee health. I'll go there for my physical exam and drug screen later this month. My concern is that with my ADHD (which was diagnosed while in Medical school) do I have to list this as a diagnosis or condition that would impair me from taking care of patient's? I guess it's a chance I'll have to take, but I vote no that it would not impair me.

I just hope that if by some way my PD or program administration finds out that I have ADHD and take Adderall, they may not try to find ways to show I am incompetent to safely care for patients and may rescind my acceptance. I know in other professions this is illegal, but in the field of medicine, things are a little grey I would imagine.

Thanks. It is employee health. I'll go there for my physical exam and drug screen later this month. My concern is that with my ADHD (which was diagnosed while in Medical school) do I have to list this as a diagnosis or condition that would impair me from taking care of patient's? I guess it's a chance I'll have to take, but I vote no that it would not impair me.

I just hope that if by some way my PD or program administration finds out that I have ADHD and take Adderall, they may not try to find ways to show I am incompetent to safely care for patients and may rescind my acceptance. I know in other professions this is illegal, but in the field of medicine, things are a little grey I would imagine.
Only if you believe it would impair you from taking care of patients.

You may have to tell the licensing board about it when you get your license in a year or three, but I don't believe there's a requirement to tell your PD.

Reactions: 1 user

Depends on what you are filling out.

For the Employee Health and Hiring Forms, it's up to you but I would disclose and I never say disclose. Trust me, this is better in the long run for many legal reasons.
You don't have to always disclose it in a section mentioning impairment, sometimes they have a section for listing illnesses/treatment seperately. Or a section that asks about disability but is worded that way and not impairment. Those are better boxes to fill out.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO TELL YOUR PD at this point.

If HR/Employee Health takes issue with it, it will be up to them to address any accommodations that need to be made, if any. In this case, it will depend on the accommodations how much med info is necessary to be divulged to the program to accomplish the accommodation. Accommodations can be ordered without any med reason given for it to your employer. However, HR/Employee Heath can try to make you jump through any hoops regarding your fitness for duty. Sort of a trade off.

Some people will claim it as a disability that they DO NOT need accommodations for. (this is a thing).
That's ideal.

At the first whiff of any real trouble with your PD, to your PD and only your PD, you should then mention it.

This is the best way to deal with HR and your PD re: mental health disability to start with.

However, you need whatever you tell HR to match whatever you tell the licensing board in terms of spirit and appearing honest.

Sometimes you luck out the licensing boards keep their questions vague enough you wouldn't have to list it if you didn't feel it would impair you. Frequently HR/Employee Health is more invasive and forces more out of you for you to honestly answer their questions. More info is safer is with HR than with the board or the PD, that said, don't give away your entire health history to your employer. You don't have to and there's ways around it.

There usually isn't contact from HR/Employee Health --> med board, and I covered HR -/-> PD with more than accomodations if indicated as far as I know. However, the PD can always go to to the med board and the med board can do whatever the **** it wants. The med board can go to HR and your PD for at any moment for any info it wants from what I've gathered. I know some can subpoena your med providers to appear and your entire health record.

Make sure you have a PCP and at least have a list of psychs you can try to get an appt on short notice if you need it, all out of your EHR system!! Not part of your hospital organization!! Or see a psych for a baseline visit #bonus CYA.

Your piss test needs to reflect what you are prescribed. If the Adderall is written PRN and you have a good history with that, then I would go in clean. If it is not written that way, you need to piss Adderall.

If you are scourged with a mental illness in medicine you need to do a few things:
always demonstrate as perfect of compliance with the MH issue as you can
do not have any documented substance use disorders (or undocumented ones for that matter)
avoid self harm
psych hospitalizations tend to be broadly required to be disclosed to Med Boards, same with inpt or even outpt substance abuse treatment
be proactive always with having regular care in place
consider an ADA attorney (or have an idea how to find a decent one)
avoid anything that smacks of impaired judgement at work and outside of it
don't tell *anyone* in your program if you can help it
avoid anything that smacks of dishonesty, particularly about your condition
be careful about disclosing if your mental health condition is impairing you at the same time,
know when to wave the white flag before you've had enough rope to hang yourself
I realize this is a fine line and some of the above even contradicts, do your best

TLDR:
licensing and HR forms should match
you want to shy away from "yeses" to things about impairment but still be honest with medical history
PDs don't *have* to know about your med conditions, I repeat, you have legal protections about what med info your employer is entitled to, consider carefully
if the PD & HR are not aware, you can't use it as a defense in the future if they say you are having performance issues, so if you play that card do it early but don't do it before you are under the microscope, because it will likely put you there even if you weren't there already

Last edited:
The thing is I don't feel that my ADHD impairs me from taking care of patients. From that standpoint, I don't see why I would need to disclose this to state licensing boards or to the employee health office?

The thing is I don't feel that my ADHD impairs me from taking care of patients. From that standpoint, I don't see why I would need to disclose this to state licensing boards or to the employee health office?
It varies from state to state, but some ask if you have ever been diagnosed with any condition that may ever impair you. Some are even broader than that. YMMV.

Edit: Oh, and I just did my drug screen for fellowship, today. Plus all my various titers and such. I asked them, and they said that no one except the employee health office and the trainee ever sees specific results, the GME office and department only get a thumbs up or thumbs down. Same as the last place I worked. Just another point to confirm :)

Last edited:

I am in much the same situation as you (same medication and disease).

I did not disclose any of it to the state licensure board when I applied for my permanent license. My performance has met (and in many situations greatly exceeded) that of my peers in medical school and residency. With medication and previous CBT, my ADHD is not an 'impairment' in any real sense and I am not going to list it unless I am utterly compelled to.

I would have done the same for my future employer (and stopped the meds several days before the urine test to be negative), but this year the employer has implemented random drug testing and I did not want this to blow up into a huge issue in the future so I listed it on the forms. I urine tested positive (they are verifying my medical hx and script with my PCP at this time).

This was all a new experience for me as neither my medical school nor my residency required drug testing (or even any sort of intake physical). I view the entire thing as a massive and unnecessary invasion of privacy and agree with crayola above - I could see drug testing (although I think that's somewhat misguided as well), but your employer really doesn't need to know your entire past medical hx for you to be able to work there. Buzz off.

Here's my logic (not to be seen as absolute or better legal advice than an attorney's)

Don't disclose anything on a record that can ever be looked at later. Stop everything a week or more before you have your drug test and just load up on caffeine to get through until after your drug test. That means alcohol and any allergy or cough/cold medicines too. This will be before any work at that facility, so don't worry about being unmedicated and it affecting patient care. If you've got anything positive in your system, you'll get a phone call from a medical examiner asking about it. Just fax them whatever they want and your PD will get a thumbs up. If it were I, I would never want a positive test result anywhere on my record, even if explained away by an Rx for what you were positive for. When you get drug tested by your prescriber, however, make sure you test waaaaay positive, so you aren't accused of diversion. Definitely keep everything outside of the providers and EMR of your hospital. Pay cash and accept this as a cost of being a medical professional.

If you get caught up in some (usually arbitrary) random drug testing, keep a ton of Gatorade in your locker, call room and trunk, and drink as much as you can before the test. The longer you work in the medical profession, the more you will find that many people have been been in a similar situation, whether colleagues or friends, and are calling you for advice on this because you're the all-knowing doctor that may be able to get them out of a bind. Probably in the top 5 questions asked a doctor at social events.

Bottom line: You're human, can make mistakes too and have the right to medicines that help you get through this crazy profession; just minimize your exposure as much as possible. You made it this far and maybe needed some medication to do it, but nobody needs to know why, just that you had it legally IF they ask you directly. You do not have anything in your system that could impair your judgement at the time you signed the application, so nobody needs to know about what happened before. In the unlikely event that you get caught in a DUI checkpoint, refuse to be tested for anything and you'll probably just get a restricted license to go to work and back for a year, likely having NO DUI on your record if you have an average DUI lawyer with you. A "wet reckless" will be the next step up, if you haven't done anything horrible while you were DUI that night. They're highly unlikely to check what else happened in your past to use against you unless it's for a similar offence, just that you were DUI on the date they "caught you."

Uber is your friend. $30 to get home and avoid screwing up your career is totally worth it.

YouTube is a gold mine for this stuff!

Reactions: 2 users
The one thing that gets doctors in trouble faster than anything else is lying and/or covering things up.

My advice - disclose to whoever needs to know, particular with regards to your drug tests. Don't skip meds or try and flush your system with Gatorade. You are taking a legally prescribed medication for a properly diagnosed condition.

Don't take illicit drugs and expect to get away with it. Don't drink and drive.

With regards to medical licensing, read the questions the state board asks - if it asks if you have a problem that impairs you, and yours doesn't, then you can honestly answer know to this question.

Have a doctor who takes care of you And has the appropriate records in case anyone asks. It's up to you if this person is in your healthcare system or not - whatever you are most comfortable with.

Reactions: 5 users
Hi,

Thanks

You realize many people will think you just took adderall to help you get better scores. I've known many premeds and Medstudents who did the same. Kinda like the Russian athletes taking the performance enhancers. Maria Sharapova still claims her banned drug was for "health" reasons.

You realize many people will think you just took adderall to help you get better scores. I've known many premeds and Medstudents who did the same. Kinda like the Russian athletes taking the performance enhancers. Maria Sharapova still claims her banned drug was for "health" reasons.
Yes, but the difference is if you took it with a doctors prescription, nothing bad will happen to you. Occ health will note it, and give you the all clear to your PD, and that's it.

You're not going to be banned from residency unless you do something stupid like lie.

(OTOH, sports doping regulations are sometimes a little over the top. There's soccer players who can't take levothyroxine for their documented hypothyroidism because it's on the banned list.)

There is nothing wrong with stopping medications that help you take care of patients better if you're not taking care of them yet. You do not need to disclose any medications on the drug test slip. The medical examiner is the only person that can request it from you and that is the only one you should be directing any prescription bottles/records to. The bar for doctors is set so high in this society, that having any illness or possibility of addiction could quickly lead to being forced out of your program.

Are you sure "medical examiner" is the term you are looking for? OP seems to still be alive and kicking...
Not that I would know anything from first hand knowledge, of course, but I have to apologize, it's a "Medical Review Officer.":whistle:

Reactions: 1 users
Somehow I came back to this thread...

I want to reiterate, ESPECIALLY with mental health meds, if it is a current Rx, on your med list, recently picked up from the pharmacy, AND IT IS NOT written as PRN, then you need to be taking it EXACTLY as Rx'd, and your piss test needs to reflect that, PERIOD.

If you don't think you should be/need to be taking Adderall daily, then get your provider to change the script to add in "PRN." That is the only way you can be Rx'd it and piss clean without looking like ****. It won't matter who's looking at the piss test. To have your Rx on file and a piss test that doesn't match to the letter is bad.

Because if you are written for mental health by a provider & don't piss in accordance, that is NON-ADHERENCE.

Let me repeat, MENTAL HEALTH NON-ADHERENCE is worse than any legally prescribed drug you would ever piss out, in the view of a Medical Board.
TRUST ME

If for some Godawful reason the med board becomes aware of your mental illness, they will care the MOST about the following:
1) Impairment
2) Adherence

Don't **** yourself on #2. Seriously.

Let me repeat, MENTAL HEALTH NON-ADHERENCE is worse than any legally prescribed drug you would ever piss out, in the view of a Medical Board.
TRUST ME
This doesn't sound entirely believable, and you've given us no reason to trust you. Putting it in bold and caps makes it seem less believable, in fact.

This doesn't sound entirely believable, and you've given us no reason to trust you. Putting it in bold and caps makes it seem less believable, in fact.

Um, your point taken.

However, what about what I said is not believable? Let's look at some examples.

So, you think that if you're bipolar, and you're prescribed lithium, and then don't test positive for lithium, and that you are in a situation where the Medical Board is even looking at this, that this is going to be kosher?

Or, that if the medical board had any reason to look at you, and mental health comes up, and the fact that you have ADHD comes up, and that you are currently prescribed Adderall, yet did not take it, as evidenced by a clean urine sample, that this will be seen in any sort of good light?

Besides anxiety, I'm blanking on other mental health conditions for which you can test for the Rx.

My point is, if you have a mental health condition, are prescribed medications for them, especially controlled substances, while you may think a clean urine test is going to show some sort of fortitude or lack of impairment, what the Medical Board is going to see is non-adherence. That inspires less trust in you than if you were on your legally prescribed Adderall when an issue occurs. Non-adherence can and will raise eyebrows about impairment. I don't think you appear somehow less impaired when you have a mental health condition, are prescribed treatment, and then don't take it. How would that make any sense?

Having mental health conditions and being labeled NON-ADHERENT by your medical providers and the Medical Board is the worst thing that can happen to you besides you actually being impaired at work or actually having harmed a patient by said impairment. You don't have to take my word for anything. It's simple logic. Also, if you're really inclined, you can read State Medical Board websites, bylaws, individual state laws regarding licensing, and you can read about individual state PHPs to see that ADHERENCE is one of the most important things they expect in physicians with mental health conditions.

Having a mental illness doesn't exactly excite the Board nor does it have to be a big deal. There's differing levels of oversight. Having a mental illness but not complying with treatment? C'mon now. If they let that go and then anything bad happens... it's their worst nightmare. Therefore the tolerance for non-adherence with mental health is just about zero across the board.

What I'm really saying is this, if you have been diagnosed with a mental illness, you need to do what your providers tell you. If you don't want to do that, try to change what they are telling you. Don't get in a situation where you look like the doctor with a mental health condition that doesn't treat it as their providers tell them they should.

So, you think that if you're bipolar, and you're prescribed lithium, and then don't test positive for lithium, and that you are in a situation where the Medical Board is even looking at this, that this is going to be kosher?

Or, that if the medical board had any reason to look at you, and mental health comes up, and the fact that you have ADHD comes up, and that you are currently prescribed Adderall, yet did not take it, as evidenced by a clean urine sample, that this will be seen in any sort of good light?

Besides anxiety, I'm blanking on other mental health conditions for which you can test for the Rx.
A UDS will not test for lithium. The only typically prescribed meds that will show up on an employment urine drug screen are some benzos and the amphetamines. I don't think there's a psychiatric medication you can't test for in the blood, but I don't think that ever gets done in an employment screen. So we aren't talking about non-adherence to lithium or Haldol or whatever as those aren't being looked for in the context of this thread.

My point was still that you should take your medications as prescribed and your test results, whatever they may be, should reflect that, to reflect adherence in treating your mental health condition, to your employer or medical board. Certainly people can feel free to follow whatever advice they feel best. Best of luck.

You take medicine. I assume you have a valid prescription. You're getting drug tested. You have to disclose the medicine if it is a legit prescription because it's going to trip the drug screen in all likelihood. I don't really see where any advice on this forum is going to change any of that. You're not THE ONLY ever doc that has been prescribed Adderal. Stop fretting and just do what you need to. Now, if you're taking the Adderal illicitly....

It screens as amphetamine on a urine test so you have to disclose it as a medication for whatever hiring paperwork the hospital asks for. Theres a lot of residents with ADHD who take medication and no one considers it a condition that "affects your ability to take care of patients". Your medical info is HIPPA protected. No one's going to care that you have ADHD listed as a medical condition but they will care if your screening urine test for work is positive for amphetamine and then they have to further investigate
Why did you bump a 4.5 month old thread to say something that had already been covered?

Why did you bump a 4.5 month old thread to say something that had already been covered?
l2anwtY.jpg

He/She apparently came back from a 8 year SDN hiatus yesterday and is now necrobumping left and right.

ahhh sorry! and yes you're absolutely right I haven't been on this site in like 6 years I had no idea it bumps up any thread with a recent comment, thats annoying, sorry!!