Drop in Step 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greenngold

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

My step 1 score was a 240, but my step 2 score dropped to 216. I was devastated as this was unexpected and I studied for 4 weeks very diligently. At the time, I was experiencing some pretty major family difficulties, but I tried not to let this distract me. This score also doesn't correlate with the rest of my application.

Clinical grades: all honors/near honors
Research: 2 publications, 5 posters
Awards: Gold Humanism
Will graduate with my Masters in Public Health (MPH).

I was originally interested in ENT, but I realize this is likely no longer realistic. I'm considering other specialities, such as OB or IM, however I'm afraid all residency programs may see this drop, despite my CV, and question my performance as a future resident. Any thoughts/comments are appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

As a fellow 4th year medical student starting interviews this is the advice I would give you:

First off, don't worry what you can't control. Get good LORs from physicians that worked with you on clinical rotations.

Be fully prepared to discuss the Step 2CK score. I would be honest and say something like this: "I am disappointed about my performance on Step 2CK. I was struggling with family difficulties prior to the exam and I probably should have made the decision to postpone the exam for another time; that being said, I am proud that I was able to persevere and pass the exam. Despite the low CK Score, I have consistently demonstrated I possess the ability to be a competent medical provider during my 3rd and 4th year Clerkships."

Believe in yourself and turn the negative aspect of your application into a positive. I assume that it makes a difference.

Reactions: 4 users
You can always do a year of research and apply to ENT if that is really what you want to do. Any program that sees that kind of dedication would see past that low step 2 score in my opinion. You wouldn't be the first to do this I'm sure.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,

My step 1 score was a 240, but my step 2 score dropped to 216. I was devastated as this was unexpected and I studied for 4 weeks very diligently. At the time, I was experiencing some pretty major family difficulties, but I tried not to let this distract me. This score also doesn't correlate with the rest of my application.

Clinical grades: all honors/near honors
Research: 2 publications, 5 posters
Awards: Gold Humanism
Will graduate with my Masters in Public Health (MPH).

I was originally interested in ENT, but I realize this is likely no longer realistic. I'm considering other specialities, such as OB or IM, however I'm afraid all residency programs may see this drop, despite my CV, and question my performance as a future resident. Any thoughts/comments are appreciated.

Don't worry, the stats are on your side! 384 first year residents, in 2017, had equal Step 2 scores as you but lower Step 1 scores. You are in good company, I'm sure you'll match to IM.

Data and Analysis - AAMC