Driving to ODS (Navy) Reimbursement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalGator

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings all!

I am headed to Newport, Rhode Island early June to report for ODS. I am planning on driving my vehicle up there during this time. I have to fill out DD FORM 1351 Travel Voucher Correct? Do I have to stay at Navy lodge in order to be reimbursed? Because when I try to reserve a room nothing is ever available, so can I be compensated for hotel stay (Best Western) etc or will they not allow that? Any insight is appreciated, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You'll be staying in the barracks.

If you're getting there early you won't be reimbursed as your orders should be written to report NLT the day before your class begins.

You'll fill out the paperwork for getting compensated for driving there and per diem (daily expenses en route) at ODS. I don't remember having to fill out the travel voucher form until you get there and everyone sits in a big room and does it together.

Members don't see this ad :)
go gators and gl with ODS!!!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Also something to keep in mind, if you check in earlier than your "no earlier" date in your orders, they will not award you per diem/travel reimbursement for those days. So better to just get there on the no earlier date/time (usually Sunday morning).

You'll be staying in the barracks.

If you're getting there early you won't be reimbursed as your orders should be written to report NLT the day before your class begins.

Just to piggy back on this, according to the web site you can arrive early and accommodation is provided, but only as early as the Friday before you start.

Upon arrival to OTC, check-in wearing appropriate civilian attire and report to King Hall, Building 291 Quarter Deck (Main Entrance). You will be directed to your quarters (room) and will be given additional guidance on Sunday afternoon.

Lodging in King Hall is available after 1600 on Friday. Do not arrive before this time. Follow the arrival time as stated in your orders. The first event begins Sunday afternoon at approximately 1300. If you have questions understanding your orders, contact your recruiter or OTC Admin Support at 401-841-2264 (during normal business hours). If you are going to be late, contact the OTCN Command Duty Officer (CDO) at (401)862-4321. Officer Training Command, Home of Navy OCS - Travel to OTC