Drexel (with $$) vs Case Western

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ml200201

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Free tuition lol, I say Drexel.
What can you not do at Drexel that you can't at case?

Reactions: 1 users
Drexel has problems with clinical rotations and general hospital instability. Case has very strong research and clinical opportunities. I honestly don't think the money is a strong enough reason to pick Drexel over Case. If it were Jefferson or Temple (with full ride) vs Case, I'd probably pick the full ride.

Some additional information can be found here

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems like almost everyone is voting Case. Can someone comment on why that is? Is it because of the general hate towards Drexel on SDN, or because money isn't worth the opportunity cost? To me and my family, $200k is a huge deal..
What are your interests? 200k is a big deal to anyone except those born with a silver spoon. I am surprised so many seem to be discounting it.

But if you have strong interests in selective areas of medicine and/or an academic career, perhaps Case would be worth it.

I don't condone how bloated medical school debt has become, but in decisions such as these I have to advocate for the better school. The medical school you choose will affect the next 4-7 years of your life, and perhaps longer depending on whether you matched into the specialty of your choice.

People will say that if you are the top of your class, you could match into anywhere you want. But you should never go into med school expecting to be at the top of your class. If you look at the average matriculant from each school, the students at Case simply have way better career options than those at Drexel. Are you willing to drastically change your career and lifestyle choices for $200K?

Think about the time in which this debt will matter. At that point you will have already gone through medical school and residency and will be making $200K+ a year. If you choose Case, you will effectively be making 20K-30K less after debt repayment. This will suck, but how much would you really regret your decision, when you've already gotten the career, salary, and location of your choice? Compare the regret you would feel making $180K instead $200K, versus spending the next 4-7 years at a school you would be less happy at, and ending up with fewer career options in the end.