Drexel with a $25,000 scholarship vs. SUNY Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jeannie514

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Note: I am a total city boy

Drexel with a $25,000 scholarship
Pros
  • Roughly 50% off tuition - save $100,000 + interest over four years. Tuition will cost me about $26,000 per year
  • Cheaper cost of living in Philly, very livable.
  • Liked Drexel's vibes
  • Prestige of scholarship

Cons
  • I love Brooklyn

SUNY Downstate

Pros
  • I love the idea of living in Brooklyn
  • I liked Downstate as well, probably a better clinical population in NYC
  • Interested in doing an NYC residency

Cons
  • First year tuition for out-of-state is a whopping $65,000

Summary: Living in Brooklyn vs. scholarship

Members don't see this ad.

Drexel is higher ranked and cheaper? What is the total cost difference?
Is it worth spending 100K to live in Brooklyn?

I would go to Drexel then if you really want to punish yourself just do residency in NYC & settle down there!

Members don't see this ad :)
That's odd considering Drexel is ranked higher at usnews.
Note: I am a total city boy

Drexel with a $25,000 scholarship
Pros
  • Roughly 50% off tuition - save $100,000 + interest over four years. Tuition will cost me about $26,000 per year
  • Cheaper cost of living in Philly, very livable.
  • Liked Drexel's vibes
  • Prestige of scholarship

Cons
  • I love Brooklyn

SUNY Downstate

Pros
  • I love the idea of living in Brooklyn
  • I liked Downstate as well, probably a better clinical population in NYC
  • Interested in doing an NYC residency

Cons
  • First year tuition for out-of-state is a whopping $65,000

Summary: Living in Brooklyn vs. scholarship

USNews is crap Downstate has a much better reputation on the east coast and the most doctor practicing in NYC is downstate trained . Also I just want to say that I interviewed at Drexel and didnt have anything good to say about the school other than it was generous and threw money at me. And there are some real concerns about its clinical training that has been expressed on this site before so u might want to look into that. This paired with the fact that downstate is in my and seemly ur opinion a better location simply gives downstate the edge also remember u can get instate residency after first year.

Reactions: 1 users
USNews is crap Downstate has a much better reputation on the east coast and the most doctor practicing in NYC is downstate trained . Also I just want to say that I interviewed at Drexel and didnt have anything good to say about the school other than it was generous and threw money at me. And there are some real concerns about its clinical training that has been expressed on this site before so u might want to look into that. This paired with the fact that downstate is in my and seemly ur opinion a better location simply gives downstate the edge also remember u can get instate residency after first year.
I don't disagree with you. Just stating what most people refer to when talking about ranking. The word on the forum is that go to the highest ranked school to land the best residency you can.

I don't disagree with you. Just stating what most people refer to when talking about ranking. The word on the forum is that go to the highest ranked school to land the best residency you can.
yeah I get what you're saying but I feel alot of people including me feel that ranking while being a factor is not always accurate and we believe that Downstate is ranked higher(from the opinion we get from fellow physicians) especially since the OP wants to stay in NYC. SO ranking is playing a factor in peoples voting but we just have qualms how USNEWS ranks school. This coming from a local New Yorker we feel that downstate is a much more highly regarded school than Drexel.

Reactions: 1 users
That's odd considering Drexel is ranked higher at usnews.

Drexel is not ranked higher. Downstate does not participate in rankings, similar to other schools like Penn State. Downstate is the more reputable school and is a solid lower mid-tier while Drexel is generally considered a low-tier school. Downstate also has a better reputation for residency directors in the Northeast, especially in New York.

Reactions: 1 user
Drexel is not ranked higher. Downstate does not participate in rankings, similar to other schools like Penn State. Downstate is the more reputable school and is a solid lower mid-tier while Drexel is generally considered a low-tier school. Downstate also has a better reputation for residency directors in the Northeast, especially in New York.
I don't disagree with you. But technically it is still ranked higher on usnews considering downstate isn't ranked. That being said in this instance OP is probably better off going to downstate.

Reactions: 1 user
What about the added prestige of getting a merit scholarship? I feel like residency directors will like that as well.

Rank differences are insignificant/negligible. You only use rank/prestige to compare between Top 20 schools vs rest of US MD schools. I voted Downstate because I think the quality of clinical rotations at Drexel isn't all that great (and this is supported by experiences of some students there and applicants interviewed/accepted there). I don't think money is the compensating factor.

Reactions: 4 users