Drexel rad onc closing Hanhaemann department

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rymd

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hahnemann closing heart transplant program

"Separately, the Drexel University College of Medicine, which uses Hahnemann as its main teaching hospital, announced to faculty Monday that it will close its Department of Radiation Oncology at the end of June."

Does this affect any residents?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hahnemann closing heart transplant program

"Separately, the Drexel University College of Medicine, which uses Hahnemann as its main teaching hospital, announced to faculty Monday that it will close its Department of Radiation Oncology at the end of June."

Does this affect any residents?

Disappointing to see the Rad Onc department become a sacrificial lamb, although when you're surrounded by Jefferson, Fox Chase, and UPenn Rad onc departments all a hop skip and a jump away it may be hard to compete in the competitive downtown philly market?

When the Drexel program re-opened at the very end of my interviewing year, they had partnered with Cristiana Care in Delaware, which seemed to be more than capable of being it's own institution. Maybe now with closing of the program at Drexel it'll be a full shift to CC?

Members don't see this ad :)
Most of that list are PhDs. Dr. Komarnicky and Dr. Poli (along with Luther Brady at times) are the only clinical docs at HUH. Only having 3 docs is one of the reasons the Drexel program initially closed. Last I heard Dr. Brady is apparently still active at Philadelphia Cyberknife, although I'm not sure exactly what his role is.

The Hahnemann department is not closing. This is merely the employment agreement that is in place with the physicians on the HUbside. The university is eliminating the employed departments that are not revenue generators (revenue is generated by hahnemann hospital).

The residency has and continues to be owned and operated by Hahnemann/Tenet - who employs the residents. Hahnemann will continue to operate a full service rad onc department and residents will continue to train at both Hahnemann Hospital and Christiana Care Health systems.

Luther Brady is going strong still. Last I heard the guy still goes skiing!

The Hahnemann department is not closing. This is merely the employment agreement that is in place with the physicians on the HUbside. The university is eliminating the employed departments that are not revenue generators (revenue is generated by hahnemann hospital).

The residency has and continues to be owned and operated by Hahnemann/Tenet - who employs the residents. Hahnemann will continue to operate a full service rad onc department and residents will continue to train at both Hahnemann Hospital and Christiana Care Health systems.

Interesting. Thanks for the clarification. Drexel's medical school has 0 interest in discussing the field of radiation oncology with it's students, so I suppose this eliminates the need for faculty positions.

have all the respect in the world for Dr. Poli- one of the best radoncs I have met, especially when it comes to brachy.