Drexel Evening Post-Baccalaureate PreMed Program (2015-2017)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ArtisticSoul

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Got accepted today! Anyone else out there starting this program this fall/thinking about applying?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi!

I'm interested in applying next year for the summer entrance. I've been in working for several years as a mental health therapist, so I've been out of school for a little while. Any tips or pointers for ensuring an acceptance?

Hi there. From what I understand, the program is fairly small (probably accept 15-20 students each year), but I don't believe admission is incredibly competitive. I'd say that your years as a mental health therapist will look good, but do you have any clinical/medicine-relatied experience? Like, say, volunteering in an ER, or shadowing a physician? In your personal statement you're gonna want to be able to show that you understand the world of medicine, and how/why you've decided to make the leap from your current career to medicine. I think the personal statement and letters of recommendation are most important. It will be helpful to have recommenders who can speak to your academic aptitude/maturity. You've been out of school for a while (and this program is geared towards non-trads so this won't be a significant disadvantage) so you may need to rely on past employers who can speak to qualities that would make you a great physician. The program has a direct linkage to Drexel med, so I would treat this as if you were applying straight to med school. In your personal statement be sure to talk about how you came to the decision that medicine is really where you want to be. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to go into more detail on anything!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
First, congratulations on your acceptance!! And thank you so much for getting back to me! I don't have any recent experience volunteering in an ER or shadowing a physician but with your advice and my time frame, I have about a year to do something about this! I truly appreciate your feedback, this was so helpful to me!

The program has a direct linkage to Drexel med, so I would treat this as if you were applying straight to med school.
cFUx4f

Hi there. From what I understand, the program is fairly small (probably accept 15-20 students each year), but I don't believe admission is incredibly competitive. I'd say that your years as a mental health therapist will look good, but do you have any clinical/medicine-relatied experience? Like, say, volunteering in an ER, or shadowing a physician? In your personal statement you're gonna want to be able to show that you understand the world of medicine, and how/why you've decided to make the leap from your current career to medicine. I think the personal statement and letters of recommendation are most important. It will be helpful to have recommenders who can speak to your academic aptitude/maturity. You've been out of school for a while (and this program is geared towards non-trads so this won't be a significant disadvantage) so you may need to rely on past employers who can speak to qualities that would make you a great physician. The program has a direct linkage to Drexel med, so I would treat this as if you were applying straight to med school. In your personal statement be sure to talk about how you came to the decision that medicine is really where you want to be. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to go into more detail on anything!

Hi, I sent you a PM with a few more questions.

Hello, I am also interested in this program. However it has been nearly impossible to find information from past or current students on just the Evening Post Bac Program. Have you all had any luck?

Reactions: 1 user
First, congratulations on your acceptance!! And thank you so much for getting back to me! I don't have any recent experience volunteering in an ER or shadowing a physician but with your advice and my time frame, I have about a year to do something about this! I truly appreciate your feedback, this was so helpful to me!

Thank you! And you're absolutely welcome!

Hello, I am also interested in this program. However it has been nearly impossible to find information from past or current students on just the Evening Post Bac Program. Have you all had any luck?

Well I'm a few weeks into the program now, and may be able to answer questions you may have. Feel free to PM me.

Hey everyone, I just graduated the evening post bac this past May and am currently applying to medical school now. If you guys have any questions, feel free to ask as I am happy to answer them!

What about the DPMS program at Drexel? Is it even worth it to apply if you arent URM?

I briefly considered this program because I lived in Philadelphia, but shied away due to the price tag. There is no way I can justify that sort of debt just to apply to medical school.

Last edited:
I briefly considered this program because I lived in Philadelphia, but shied away due to the price tag. There is no way I can justify that sort of debt jut to apply to medical school.

I live in Philadelphia and I'm considering this program. But I'm curious, what did you ultimately decide?

I live in Philadelphia and I'm considering this program. But I'm curious, what did you ultimately decide?

@MrsNonTraditionalMD I am currently in graduate school and have full tuition remission (i.e. I don't pay for tuition) so I will begin my post baccalaureate journey here by taking undergraduate courses in math and science in addition to my graduate studies. However, as I will still need to complete additional prerequisites, if I perform well, I will most likely return to Philadelphia (or maybe South Jersey) and complete my prerequisites and upper level biology courses at Rutgers-Camden. I went to high school in GA and have family there so that could also be an option... Ultimately, my decision will come down to what is the most cost effective way to complete my prerequisites without being totally miserable; life is short so I want to enjoy the journey as much a possible.

Have you taken a look at the tuition for this program? For the Drexel Evening Post-baccalaureate Pre-medical Program the cost is $1,346 per credit and you need 32 credits to complete the certificate and be eligible for the linkage with Drexel University College of Medicine; that's approximately $43,072.00. I know a student who completed the program, successfully linked, and is an M1 and I know a student who did not successfully link and is stuck with a pile of debt. It's a risk.

I have also sent you a private message.

Last edited:
Anyone still in the program or planing on doing it? I got my admission to fall 2017 and would appreciate talking to someone about it.