Drexel DPMS 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Earlier in the thread someone did say if you miss the requirement by a point that means you failed to fulfill the contract and I'm guessing no amount of pleading will make a difference

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

When I went to an open house, Dr. Walker did mention that only 1 person in the history of the program failed to make contract and was accepted to the med school via regular admission for the following year. I'm wondering if the stipulation applies to ppl interested in DO school too since you use a completely diff application system...how would they know? I'm just curious...not that those are my intentions.

Members don't see this ad.

When I went to an open house, Dr. Walker did mention that only 1 person in the history of the program failed to make contract and was accepted to the med school via regular admission for the following year. I'm wondering if the stipulation applies to ppl interested in DO school too since you use a completely diff application system...how would they know? I'm just curious...not that those are my intentions.

Well I have no idea but remember you still have to request your first semester grades from them if you are applying to DO school

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats on the interview!! Best of luck !

When you have you interview would you mind sharing your experience and what questions they asked? Would really appreciate it !

Yes, I will post up tomorrow night or Friday about it

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey!

1) How difficult is it to reach those grade marks?
- So, the program was definitely my hardest year of my education so far, but I think that should be the expectation. I didn't need to spend the entire year studying 24/7 just to get a 3.2 or anything. The hardest part was really changing my study habits to get much more efficient. Basically, of course it's very hard - they're not going to let you into med school without making you work hard. But, its very doable, since most of the people in the program do it. (The MCAT is was really gets people, unfortunately).

2) What would you say is the matriculation rate? 40%...50%...60% (is this the reason they dont post success rate anywhere on the website)
- My year was around 50%. Most years I think are around 50-60%. Like I said, unfortunately its mostly the MCAT that keeps people out.

3) Does the loans disperse while you're still in the summer program or during fall?
- The loans disperse around August, so, after the summer.

4) I have an acceptance to VCOM's grad program. Would you take that program over DUCOM... especially considering their program seems to have a really supportive faculty as well as 75+% matriculation
-I don't really know anything about VCOM's program, but if it's another 1-year masters program with a conditional acceptance, and the matriculation rate is that high, it sounds like a great deal! It's difficult for me to say what I would do in your position, mostly because DPMS worked beautifully for me. So, if given the chance... I would go for the program that I know works for me.

5) Im sure im going to be in track 1 if i get accepted, so do you know how hard it was for track 1 students to study for the mcat at the same time? How many of the track 1 students got accepted??
- From what my friends tell me, studying for the MCAT while doing classes was definitely hard. A greater percentage of track 2 students make it in comparison to the track 1 students.

On a separate note - I know a lot of people say the faculty is not supportive, and I know some of the students who have experienced that. So, I am not at all saying they are lying - they aren't. BUT, that wasn't everyone's experience. When I needed help, I emailed the professors who teach the medical school classes, and they were extremely easy to meet with and very eager to help. And besides the professors, we also had old DPMSers (1st years) and tutors(also 1st years) who helped us out A TON. I never felt like I was in it alone, or that I couldn't get help.

Good luck!

Reactions: 4 users
I spoke to Kelli and will be dropping my interview. Hopefully one of you gets it:xf:. Good luck everyone!

Hey!

1) How difficult is it to reach those grade marks?
- So, the program was definitely my hardest year of my education so far, but I think that should be the expectation. I didn't need to spend the entire year studying 24/7 just to get a 3.2 or anything. The hardest part was really changing my study habits to get much more efficient. Basically, of course it's very hard - they're not going to let you into med school without making you work hard. But, its very doable, since most of the people in the program do it. (The MCAT is was really gets people, unfortunately).

2) What would you say is the matriculation rate? 40%...50%...60% (is this the reason they dont post success rate anywhere on the website)
- My year was around 50%. Most years I think are around 50-60%. Like I said, unfortunately its mostly the MCAT that keeps people out.

3) Does the loans disperse while you're still in the summer program or during fall?
- The loans disperse around August, so, after the summer.

4) I have an acceptance to VCOM's grad program. Would you take that program over DUCOM... especially considering their program seems to have a really supportive faculty as well as 75+% matriculation
-I don't really know anything about VCOM's program, but if it's another 1-year masters program with a conditional acceptance, and the matriculation rate is that high, it sounds like a great deal! It's difficult for me to say what I would do in your position, mostly because DPMS worked beautifully for me. So, if given the chance... I would go for the program that I know works for me.

5) Im sure im going to be in track 1 if i get accepted, so do you know how hard it was for track 1 students to study for the mcat at the same time? How many of the track 1 students got accepted??
- From what my friends tell me, studying for the MCAT while doing classes was definitely hard. A greater percentage of track 2 students make it in comparison to the track 1 students.

On a separate note - I know a lot of people say the faculty is not supportive, and I know some of the students who have experienced that. So, I am not at all saying they are lying - they aren't. BUT, that wasn't everyone's experience. When I needed help, I emailed the professors who teach the medical school classes, and they were extremely easy to meet with and very eager to help. And besides the professors, we also had old DPMSers (1st years) and tutors(also 1st years) who helped us out A TON. I never felt like I was in it alone, or that I couldn't get help.

Good luck!

In my interview today, there were about 7 or 8 DPMSers who were just finishing their first year at DUCOM. They said that they don't hold your hand and that's why people don't feel supported. They said they just kick your butt into the program, but if you need help, they said there's actually A LOT of support; however, you have to seek it out! No one is going to come up to you and ask what's going on (until you start failing), so if you need help, just ask.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats on the interview!! Best of luck !

When you have you interview would you mind sharing your experience and what questions they asked? Would really appreciate it !

So here's a summary of my interview today. I'll make it pretty detailed for everyone who wants to know.

First off, the day is from 9am to 1:30pm so be prepared. Interviews are also the DUCOM (Queen Lane campus), but the DPMS program is at the Center City campus. So from 9 to 10 we settled in, introduced ourselves and met the other people interviewing that day (there were 6 other people there today) and some program details. This included:
Classes start June 19th, the committee will meet the third or fourth week of May and make decisions about who's in.
This years class has 45 seats available, they're doing about 100-115 interviews for these spots
They said 60% matriculation rate; however the former DPMSers said about 50%, so I'm guessing the 60% is based on how many people were left by semester 2.
Summer session is easy and it's important to get all As, this will give you cushion for your overall GPA. Dates are June 19 - July 31.
There's peer mentoring, free tutoring available to everyone. You get almost like a "big" (former DPMSer who can help you with anything)
Fall session is August 7 to mid-December. Possible orientation August 2 and 3 (this is for all the grad students, DPMS might not end up going to it this year)

For people worried about the MCAT, about half the former DPMSers there today had to. You take the Princeton Review MCAT prep course as a part of your DPMS courses, it's 6 credits and Pass/fail. You have 2 attempts at making it, so most people take it in January so they can get their scores back in time to know if they have to take it a second time. Your scores have to be in by sometime in April to make contract. They said that the DPMS courses (outside of the MCAT prep course) GREATLY helped them with the MCAT, especially the Biochem course. For those who don't have to retake the MCAT, you take Neuro (3 credits) and Immunology (3 credits) instead, also Pass/fail.
Most of the lectures are recorded so if you need to miss a day, you can just watch the lecture online.

After the information session, we all split apart to follow our own little schedules. We all did the same thing, just in different orders. So for my first half hour, I had to do the essay first. It was a pretty basic, what would you do in this situation question. They only give you so much space to write too so you have to be concise. My next half hour (which ended up being 40 mins) was my interview. I interviewed with one of the DUCOM professors. He asked some questions like why medicine, explain some strengths and weaknesses of your app, why DPMS, why do you feel you fit into the DPMS program, etc. My next half hour was shadowing the anatomy lab (which was awesome!). Then a half hour break and finally lunch followed by the campus tour. The former DPMSers ate lunch with us and gave us the tour. They were very open and candid about their experiences. They all agreed that it was one of the most stressful things in their lives, but if you stay organized and top of your studying, then you'll succeed. On the plus side, all the course work and stress of DPMS made their first year at DUCOM easy since they took most of those classes already.

Also, the DUCOM curriculum change will be 100% effective next year (the class we'd be starting). So that means courses are all Pass/Fail and the learning is more group oriented. So current students only have to go to campus a few times a week, but the group learning will mean you have to go to class every day.

That's all I can think to add at the moment, hopefully this helps.

Reactions: 8 users
So here's a summary of my interview today. I'll make it pretty detailed for everyone who wants to know.

First off, the day is from 9am to 1:30pm so be prepared. Interviews are also the DUCOM (Queen Lane campus), but the DPMS program is at the Center City campus. So from 9 to 10 we settled in, introduced ourselves and met the other people interviewing that day (there were 6 other people there today) and some program details. This included:
Classes start June 19th, the committee will meet the third or fourth week of May and make decisions about who's in.
This years class has 45 seats available, they're doing about 100-115 interviews for these spots
They said 60% matriculation rate; however the former DPMSers said about 50%, so I'm guessing the 60% is based on how many people were left by semester 2.
Summer session is easy and it's important to get all As, this will give you cushion for your overall GPA. Dates are June 19 - July 31.
There's peer mentoring, free tutoring available to everyone. You get almost like a "big" (former DPMSer who can help you with anything)
Fall session is August 7 to mid-December. Possible orientation August 2 and 3 (this is for all the grad students, DPMS might not end up going to it this year)

For people worried about the MCAT, about half the former DPMSers there today had to. You take the Princeton Review MCAT prep course as a part of your DPMS courses, it's 6 credits and Pass/fail. You have 2 attempts at making it, so most people take it in January so they can get their scores back in time to know if they have to take it a second time. Your scores have to be in by sometime in April to make contract. They said that the DPMS courses (outside of the MCAT prep course) GREATLY helped them with the MCAT, especially the Biochem course. For those who don't have to retake the MCAT, you take Neuro (3 credits) and Immunology (3 credits) instead, also Pass/fail.
Most of the lectures are recorded so if you need to miss a day, you can just watch the lecture online.

After the information session, we all split apart to follow our own little schedules. We all did the same thing, just in different orders. So for my first half hour, I had to do the essay first. It was a pretty basic, what would you do in this situation question. They only give you so much space to write too so you have to be concise. My next half hour (which ended up being 40 mins) was my interview. I interviewed with one of the DUCOM professors. He asked some questions like why medicine, explain some strengths and weaknesses of your app, why DPMS, why do you feel you fit into the DPMS program, etc. My next half hour was shadowing the anatomy lab (which was awesome!). Then a half hour break and finally lunch followed by the campus tour. The former DPMSers ate lunch with us and gave us the tour. They were very open and candid about their experiences. They all agreed that it was one of the most stressful things in their lives, but if you stay organized and top of your studying, then you'll succeed. On the plus side, all the course work and stress of DPMS made their first year at DUCOM easy since they took most of those classes already.

Also, the DUCOM curriculum change will be 100% effective next year (the class we'd be starting). So that means courses are all Pass/Fail and the learning is more group oriented. So current students only have to go to campus a few times a week, but the group learning will mean you have to go to class every day.

Wow, bless you for this review! Just a quick question: by pass/fail, does this mean that GPA no longer factors in? I'm kind of confused as to how a pass/fail grade will benefit us, if the grading criteria is still the same.

Thank you so much!! This is really helpful

For the strength and weakness he wanted to know those for the app not about yourself personally?

What did you say? If you don't mind me asking?

Wow, bless you for this review! Just a quick question: by pass/fail, does this mean that GPA no longer factors in? I'm kind of confused as to how a pass/fail grade will benefit us, if the grading criteria is still the same.

My interviewer said it should be less competitive since with the normal "bell curve" of grading, some people must fail. But with the pass fail, they set guidelines about what you have to meet for "pass" so, in theory, everyone could pass. I think they're trying to make it less cut throat

Thank you so much!! This is really helpful

For the strength and weakness he wanted to know those for the app not about yourself personally?

What did you say? If you don't mind me asking?
For strength I listed all of my years of research experience, extensive shadowing hours and overall passion for medicine. For weakness, I used my first semester of my senior year. I received my first and only F of my life (in an advanced Spanish class that was just A LOT of busy work) since I was dealing with the possibility of having thyroid cancer. Also, explained how my GPA (while necessarily bad, 3.3) could have been higher but because I had to commute (not board) so I could work 20-30 hours a week just to pay for college, while in college, my GPA suffered and therefore is lower than the typical medical school applicant.

I'm not saying those are good answers haha, it's just what I said

Last edited:
One of my professors took forever to submit the letter of recommendation so my application was just completed tonight, hopefully I'm not too late. I'm also going to Europe for two weeks on May 12th so hopefully if I get an interview invite its before then!

I believe that a lot of medical schools are shifting to pass/fail to eliminate the competitive factor. I'm curious to know how that will correlate to GPA when it comes time to evaluate if someone made contract or not AND if that grading standard is continued throughout the medical school process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do they prefer candidates who don't have to re-take the MCAT over those that do?

Do you remember what your essay question was?

I believe that a lot of medical schools are shifting to pass/fail to eliminate the competitive factor. I'm curious to know how that will correlate to GPA when it comes time to evaluate if someone made contract or not AND if that grading standard is continued throughout the medical school process.
The 100% pass/fail is just for DUCOM. For DPMS, the only pass/fail courses are the MCAT prep course or Neuro and Immunology (for those who don't have to take the MCAT prep). All the other courses are graded

The 100% pass/fail is just for DUCOM. For DPMS, the only pass/fail courses are the MCAT prep course or Neuro and Immunology (for those who don't have to take the MCAT prep). All the other courses are graded

Then that would mean that program-wise, nothing has really changed. According to last year's thread, immunity was pass/fail (not too sure about neurology)

For those who received interview invites, would you mind sharing the last interview date that was listed. I'm curious to see if there is still a chance for us hopefuls who haven't received word yet (especially since they began extending invites prior to the application deadline).

For those who received interview invites, would you mind sharing the last interview date that was listed. I'm curious to see if there is still a chance for us hopefuls who haven't received word yet (especially since they began extending invites prior to the application deadline).
May 4th was the last interview date listed.
I'm positive they'll send more after that day for the second batch of interviews.

The last one I received was May 18th That is what I picked.

How many people were in your interview group?

6 other people

So 7 people and from the previous posts I can only find 6 different interview dates so that's 42 candidates in this round of interviews, but Airs77 said there are going to be 100-115 interview candidates so there's gotta be at least two more sets of interview invites yeah? Can anyone corroborate my logic or am I just rationalizing so I don't have to face the fact that I got rejected?

So 7 people and from the previous posts I can only find 6 different interview dates so that's 42 candidates in this round of interviews, but Airs77 said there are going to be 100-115 interview candidates so there's gotta be at least two more sets of interview invites yeah? Can anyone corroborate my logic or am I just rationalizing so I don't have to face the fact that I got rejected?

If I am not mistaken, I believe that at the open house Dr. Walker said they conduct ~ 100 interviews. When I looked through old DPMS threads, ppl were getting invites and rejections well into the 3rd week of May. I think we have to play the waiting game a little longer.

Can those that didn't get invited yet post their stats? I'm trying to see if there is a correlation

The program starts on June 19th and anyone accepted will be notified by the first week of June

Can those that didn't get invited yet post their stats? I'm trying to see if there is a correlation

cGPA: 3.06
sGPA: 3.2
2015MCAT: 514
completed 1/27/2017
Still waiting to hear something :/

completed 1/27/2017

Wow, so your MCAT is exponentially higher than most of the interviewees for sure. Did you apply regular decision last cycle?

completed 1/27/2017

The ONLY reason why I could potentially see you not being interviewed is because they believe that your stats are strong enough for the traditional route. You need to tell everyone your secret for the MCAT CLEARLY! My stats are much lower overall but I'm hopeful! Whatever is meant shall be.

Undergrad: 2.88 (Rutgers)
Postbac: 3.88 (local CC)
Grad: 3.73 (Mount Sinai School of Medicine)
MCAT: Horrible!
EC: I have LOADS of healthcare experience and currently work in epidemiological research
Completed: 2/20/2017

I check the portal and my email religiously lol! I'm learning that patience is truly a virtue.

Last edited:
Thank you both for the support
I don't really have a secret, I took it in the summer before senior year and it was the first time since starting college that I wasn't working and taking classes simultaneously (worked and took classes during breaks too) so everyday I'd wake up, work out, study for 4 hours, goof around, and then study for another 4 hours before going out and hanging out with friends.

Well it all depends. I took the second interview date, the one that was on April 25 only had 3 people in it. Other people into interview group said they tried to get into the interviews for this this week, but they were all full. I don't know how many people they accept each interview say, but I'm pretty sure mine wasn't full. So more than 7

Got an email saying I got an interview this morning!! I finished my application on 4/28/17

Last edited:
Anyone know how many people usually apply to this program altogether?

Anyone know how many people usually apply to this program altogether?
In my interview last Thursday, they said that as of Tuesday (April 25) they had 400 applications and that they usually get 100 applications a day in the last few days it's open

Got an email saying I got an interview this morning. I finished my application on 4/29/17
Congrats!!

I submitted my app on Friday, April 28th. I really hope I find out something soon.

Congrats!!

I submitted my app on Friday, April 28th. I really hope I find out something soon.

Thanks!! I'm sure you'll hear something soon! My gf is also waiting to hear and she completed on 4/28

I am waiting to hear also complete on 4/28. My checklist is still awaiting transcript evaluation. Does anyone know what they are talking about? I don't remember seeing anything about that in the application instructions.

My stress level is through the roof.

For those that haven't received an interview, is your application status still under review?

Does anyone know of the next day they may be sending out interview invites?

I am waiting to hear also complete on 4/28. My checklist is still awaiting transcript evaluation. Does anyone know what they are talking about? I don't remember seeing anything about that in the application instructions.
You have to do a math/science GPA calculation after they evaluate your transcripts. They need to make sure you took the prerequisites for the program

My stress level is through the roof.

For those that haven't received an interview, is your application status still under review?
I received an interview and mine still says under review. I think the portal isn't up to date

It doesn't sound like anyone's gotten a rejection then?

You have to do a math/science GPA calculation after they evaluate your transcripts. They need to make sure you took the prerequisites for the program
So there is nothing else that needs to be done until they contact me about it?