Dress Code

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hitek0007

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a Canadian medical student going to Sydney, Australia for an elective next month. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what medical students generally wear to work in the summer months? Specifically, I'm wondering about dress shirts vs. polo shirts.

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a Canadian medical student going to Sydney, Australia for an elective next month. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what medical students generally wear to work in the summer months? Specifically, I'm wondering about dress shirts vs. polo shirts.

Thanks for the help!
Dress shirts, not polo.

What bashwell said, dress shirts.
Dress pants & shoes. No ties.
No white coat.

If on surgery or emergency - can maybe getaway with Scrubs, depending on if the rest of the medical team is wearing them, but probably not the first day.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, it's kinda funny that the trend to become informal in Australia since I came in 2004 (when a few consultants still expected white coats) has been driven by an interest in infection control. Or at least, that's been the excuse cited. Ties went out last decade, at first among paediatricians (whose patients grabbed and slobbered all over them). Now many hospitals PREFER short sleeve shirts because cuffs spread germs and get in the way of vigilant hand-washing. And after a number of years of contradicting the infection control imperative, finally, many have switched to disposable tourniquets.

In rural hospitals at least, you'll come across many docs wearing t-shirts and/or long shorts, but I wouldn't advise you try these as a student. Whether you can get away with a short sleeved shirt will depend on your hospital and consultants. I'd recommend bringing a few, but of the collared, button-down variety.

Reactions: 1 user
Haha, when I was rural, my surgical consultant (attending) came in on a Friday in flip flops (they're called "thongs" in Australia by the way) a hoodie and jeans. She was a new consultant, so still young. I thought she was a patient or patient family member at first, until she started going around and asking our patients how they were feeling post-op. I guess when you get to that level in a country hospital you can do what you want. (Obviously the rest of us were not dressed that way)