This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

km3

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I've been accepted to PT school at NYMC (graduated this past January-- I'm 21), but I had a change of heart and realized physical therapy isn't my passion-- medicine is. I've always been involved in sports and wasn't really sure what I wanted to do career-wise so I went with physical therapy since it seemed to be the closest to my interests and I definitely wouldn't mind doing it. However, after shadowing experiences, I realized the field was too narrow scope for my liking and I'd love to learn more. I'd love to pursue an MD.

Anyway, my stats are not too great. But I also haven't taken many of the prereqs for med school. I haven't taken Orgo 1, Orgo lab, or biochem.

I plan on going back to school for my post-bacc and completing these courses:
Orgo 1
Orgo lab
Biochemistry
Microbiology
Genetics
Maybe orgo 2?

I graduated with a B.S. in Kinesiology & Health
Cum GPA: 3.515
Science GPA: 3.00 (Edit: It's actually 3.08)

With the science courses I still have to take, I'm hoping to raise my GPA. Also, there is a tremendous improvement in my grades between freshman and senior year. I went from mostly C's/B's (due to a health issue) to all A's junior and senior year.

I have close to 700 hours of experience in PT clinics (as a PT aide and volunteer in 2 diff places), gymnastics coaching experience, dental office receptionist work-- I know I'd need to get more shadowing and research experience before applying to med school, just giving you the gist of my background.

Do you guys think I'd be able to get into an MD program within the next 2 years? My plan is to complete my remaining courses by December, study for the MCAT from January - June while gaining some experience and either applying next June or waiting til the year after if I need to retake my MCAT. I'm willing to put my best effort in and get a good score on the MCATs (I've already started studying), as well as beef up my resume with volunteer and research exp. I'm a bit nervous because I've already been accepted to this DPT program -- I know I won't love the profession though.

Any advice is appreciated! Also, I've considered pursuing DO but I'd much prefer to get into an MD program so your thoughts on the chances of me getting into an MD program would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Don't prioritize microbiology over orgo 2. Many places require orgo 2, nowhere requires microbio, and it's not high yield for the MCAT.
You don't absolutely need research but I don't see any mention of volunteering. That's something you really do need.
I think you're getting a bit ahead of yourself with the MCAT. It does not make sense to study for it before even starting orgo.

I would highly recommend actually taking biochem before studying for the MCAT.

Also have you shadowed any physician? I would recommend you verify that you like medicine before giving up a PT spot. No profession's scope is without limitations.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't prioritize microbiology over orgo 2. Many places require orgo 2, nowhere requires microbio, and it's not high yield for the MCAT.
You don't absolutely need research but I don't see any mention of volunteering. That's something you really do need.
I think you're getting a bit ahead of yourself with the MCAT. It does not make sense to study for it before even starting orgo.

I figured I'd just refresh my memory with Bio (gotta start somewhere right?). I'm starting orgo 1 next week. And the courses I listed were out of order lol, I definitely need Orgo and biochem. The other courses mentioned are just to raise my science GPA.

I would highly recommend actually taking biochem before studying for the MCAT.

Also have you shadowed any physician? I would recommend you verify that you like medicine before giving up a PT spot. No profession's scope is without limitations.

Just refreshing my memory in bio for now since it's been a while! I haven't shadowed a physician yet-- just physical therapists. I'm sort of in a tight spot because my PT program starts in less than 2 weeks.

Just refreshing my memory in bio for now since it's been a while! I haven't shadowed a physician yet-- just physical therapists. I'm sort of in a tight spot because my PT program starts in less than 2 weeks.
How do you know you will like medicine better?

I know its a tough spot to be in right now, but just think you should consider in case the grass is not actually greener for you on the other side (medicine). You would be adding years to your training before "starting to work", and also starting to earn a salary, so delaying that may be a regretful decision.

I bring it up because I made a similar decision at the same age, but before I had applied to PT school, and have had to think through it for myself. I just recommend basing your decisions on more concrete experiences than what you find PT to be lacking, as you may end up finding medicine equally lacking.

Reactions: 1 user
Can you defer your PT acceptance for a semester until you sort this out? Sounds like you really haven't thought about all of the ramifications of dropping PT with NO guarantee of a Med school
acceptance(your sGPA is very low for MD). With only two weeks to decide I think you need more time.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I have been a PT (DPT) for the last 5 years, and am currently in the process of applying/switching to medicine. Physical therapy is an amazing field with more medical management aspects than one would think (especially in the vestibular/neurology/cardiopulmonary specialties), but if you already know that it won't be what you are looking for then there is no point in starting school. Sounds like you are leaning strongly MD, but just know that the best sports med doc I know is a DO, and it might give you the manual training that many find appealing who are interested in PT.

I have been a PT (DPT) for the last 5 years, and am currently in the process of applying/switching to medicine. Physical therapy is an amazing field with more medical management aspects than one would think (especially in the vestibular/neurology/cardiopulmonary specialties), but if you already know that it won't be what you are looking for then there is no point in starting school. Sounds like you are leaning strongly MD, but just know that the best sports med doc I know is a DO, and it might give you the manual training that many find appealing who are interested in PT.

Thanks for this! Why did you decide to switch over to medicine?

Don't worry about you're major. As long as you finish the preresequit, high GPA and study for the MCAT. Your going to be fine. Oh and make sure you study enough for the MCAT to get a high score on it. Experience also look good on you're resume

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Don't worry about you're major. As long as you finish the preresequit, high GPA and study for the MCAT. Your going to be fine. Oh and make sure you study enough for the MCAT to get a high score on it. Experience also look good on you're resume

OP already graduated.

Thanks for this! Why did you decide to switch over to medicine?
I find myself continually drawn to the management of individuals as a whole and not necessarily just their mobility system. When I thought about where I wanted to be in 20 years I realized that many of the things that I enjoy the most about healthcare (science, problem solving, promoting health literacy, looking at the whole picture) would be best met in a physician role instead of a PT role.

Reactions: 1 users

I'll second this guy. I've been working as a PT for 4 years (DPT as well) and am currently applying. If you don't think you'll love PT before you even start school, you'll probably not love it when you graduate in 3 years. If you're unsure, don't put yourself into debt and try to go MD/DO 5 years down the road.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh sorry about that

I'll second this guy. I've been working as a PT for 4 years (DPT as well) and am currently applying. If you don't think you'll love PT before you even start school, you'll probably not love it when you graduate in 3 years. If you're unsure, don't put yourself into debt and try to go MD/DO 5 years down the road.
Glad to know there's someone else out there trying to do the same thing! Good luck!

How do you know you will like medicine better?

I know its a tough spot to be in right now, but just think you should consider in case the grass is not actually greener for you on the other side (medicine). You would be adding years to your training before "starting to work", and also starting to earn a salary, so delaying that may be a regretful decision.

I bring it up because I made a similar decision at the same age, but before I had applied to PT school, and have had to think through it for myself. I just recommend basing your decisions on more concrete experiences than what you find PT to be lacking, as you may end up finding medicine equally lacking.

You're right. I don't know for sure that I'll like medicine. However, I know that I'll love learning more about the body than just how to mobilize it. I took systems physiology and I absolutely loved it. I loved the challenge, the connection between various body systems, and how it just all works together. With PT, I feel like I'll be very limited in what I'll learn although I wouldn't mind it. I was a gymnast/I've been exposed to injuries my whole life basically and I could see myself being comfortable in the profession, I just don't think I'll love it. Also, the tuition for PT school is about 60k per year (I'd be taking out loans). Not sure if the total cost of 180k (NOT including interest) is worth the degree-- especially since I won't have much autonomy as a DPT. Any thoughts on this?

You're right. I don't know for sure that I'll like medicine. However, I know that I'll love learning more about the body than just how to mobilize it. I took systems physiology and I absolutely loved it. I loved the challenge, the connection between various body systems, and how it just all works together. With PT, I feel like I'll be very limited in what I'll learn although I wouldn't mind it. I was a gymnast/I've been exposed to injuries my whole life basically and I could see myself being comfortable in the profession, I just don't think I'll love it. Also, the tuition for PT school is about 60k per year (I'd be taking out loans). Not sure if the total cost of 180k (NOT including interest) is worth the degree-- especially since I won't have much autonomy as a DPT. Any thoughts on this?

Your perspective on what you will learn in PT school is fairly skewed. You'll go in depth in anatomy, physiology, kinesiology, obviously. You'll also be exposed to pharmacological aspects of treatment. You'll go very in depth in neuroanatomy and physiology. You'll learn cardiopulmonary aspects of PT, wound care, etc.. You'll learn more in depth aspects of cranial nerves/ nuclei than you'll (probably ) ever need. Learning "just how to mobilize it" is way off. But, like I said, if you aren't excited about it now, I'd really think hard about it. Especially at that cost of attendance.

Reactions: 2 users
I cant make a decision for you. I just wanted to emphasize evidenced-based decision making, which typically means some form of shadowing. I dont think it is practical to make comparisons otherwise.

UPDATE: I've dropped my spot at PT school and I'll be pursuing medicine. Thanks to all for your input and .02 :)

Hey guys,

It's been a while but as promised-- I'd like to make an update (in case it helps anyone else). I completed my DIY post bacc and then, I worked as an ER scribe.

I then decided to do a post-bacc at a top school which I'm in the process of doing now (received all A's my first semester). I'll hopefully be applying this upcoming cycle or next cycle.

I still haven't taken my MCAT and know that my chances of admission heavily depend on that but I'd just like to say that I DO NOT regret my decision of leaving PT school as I'm now sure that was not a good fit for me. I love medicine much more :)

I'll update you with the progress.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Sounds like you're in a great spot! If you do well on the MCAT I wouldn't be surprised if you get into an MD program.

Updating this thread in case it helps anyone! Ended up taking the MCAT twice, applied this year for 2021 matriculation, and I officially received an acceptance to a US MD school. It’s been a wild ride but hard work paid off and I couldn’t be more excited to be on this journey.

Please feel free to DM me anytime if any career changers have questions about the process!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users