DPT student need advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msrya

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my first time posting in Student doctor network, but I really need some advice. I have completed my first year of DPT school in florida, and really am starting to hate it. I came to graduate school excited to be in this profession, but it feels as though I have lost what made me what to come to pt school to begin with and am not happy anymore at school. I don't know what to do, I've felt this way for 3 mo now and thought it was a funk that I would get past this but it's not getting any better. Any advice would be welcome, has anyone tried to transfer DPT programs? maybe that would make this a little better being in a new place?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, the real question is what do you hate about it? Your professors? A specific class or topic? The stress or the pace of learning? Your apartment, classmates, roommates, or town you live in? If you're genuinely starting to hate PT, as in the profession, then a transfer won't help. You should also know before trying to take such a step (though I'm not 100% sure on this), that you can't transfer DPT programs like you can undergrad programs. Most programs will make you start over.

I agree with pegasuscvc in identifying what exactly it is you hate about PT school. I would also go one step further and ask yourself what is it that you want for your life in 10, 20, 40 years from now? I'm curious to know. Please share what you come up with msrya. I'm personally a PT looking to change careers at the age of 31 but I do not regret pursing PT. It's a good profession and definitely has it perks.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't like my mock course and the way the classes are set up. It feels as though you are studying to pass the test and pass practicals. I guess I was idealistic in thinking that I would enjoy learning the material and would be excited by the classes. I really enjoyed the classes in the first two terms, I felt like I was learning and growing and I could see myself in this field. But recently the tests have been very nit picky and test minute details that don't seem important or relevant. I have still been able to perform well, but I'm not excited by learning anymore. The best comparison I can think of is when I took biochemistry, and I never have nor will use that information ever again. I want to work in pediatrics and my program is focused in manual therapy and ortho. Maybe its just this set of courses and it will get better from here.

I agree with pegasuscvc in identifying what exactly it is you hate about PT school. I would also go one step further and ask yourself what is it that you want for your life in 10, 20, 40 years from now? I'm curious to know. Please share what you come up with msrya. I'm personally a PT looking to change careers at the age of 31 but I do not regret pursing PT. It's a good profession and definitely has it perks.
would love for you to PM me your switch. I can usually hear pros and cons of why from a veteran.

I don't like my mock course and the way the classes are set up. It feels as though you are studying to pass the test and pass practicals. I guess I was idealistic in thinking that I would enjoy learning the material and would be excited by the classes. I really enjoyed the classes in the first two terms, I felt like I was learning and growing and I could see myself in this field. But recently the tests have been very nit picky and test minute details that don't seem important or relevant. I have still been able to perform well, but I'm not excited by learning anymore. The best comparison I can think of is when I took biochemistry, and I never have nor will use that information ever again. I want to work in pediatrics and my program is focused in manual therapy and ortho. Maybe its just this set of courses and it will get better from here.

Classes suck but are not indicative of the day to day. You need to focus on the day to day. Is that the life for you? The first four semesters are absolute hell as well as competency exams at the end of the year.

I'm on clinicals. It's a LOT better not having to memorize and play the tricks and games for practicals. You will continually reference coursework and pubmed but you're working.

Practicals can be a game and you have to conform directly to what the tester thinks is the best teaching method and correct answer. You need to play the game. I had a horrendous time my last didactic semester recently.....just have to push through and not fail.

Keep your head high and the loans low.

Also try to rotate pediatrics for your acute/icu rotation. They are there for sure. After your Ortho and neuro rottation you can get an outpatient pediatrics.

Just try to keep them within driving distance or stay with a relative or friend for further away.

If that isn't possible then snatch the requirement rotations and for your fourth just make sure that you can go ahead and get a pediatrics rotation that you want to work at. It's a two month interview. You network at the end and can get references at the end for other pediatric places to work at.

Again, head high and loans low

I agree with the other posters.

I kept thinking I'd like it more when I got to clinicals. I did, somewhat. But I still wound up leaving patient care after 5 years. It was partly due to injuries (non-work related) and partly due to the fact that I'm much more suited to communications/writing. I started a website for PTs, which has been an excellent way to stay involved in the field, without the emotional and physical toll of direct patient care.

It's an expensive degree for something you may or may not enjoy. I would highly recommend visiting both a therapist and a career counselor while you're still at the beginning of your program, as well as doing more volunteer hours on your weekends as available. Try to really understand if you dislike school or you dislike PT itself. Either or both are possible. But also consider whether you'll feel energized or drained after working with people all day. You can even spend a day with friends and try to dole out advice and occasionally give them some stretches/exercises as you feel comfortable. Tell them to act both happy and grumpy. See how you feel after 8 hours of it. Some people feel incredible, others feel drained, and it's key to understand how this type of work will affect you.

I will say PT school is not very indicative of actual life as a PT, which has its own pros and cons.

@DrHomieKwan what career are you going to to pursue next?

I think you may have misunderstood the purpose of PT school. Its purpose is to cram the knowledge you'll need to pass your licensing exam into your head while also giving you the clinical experiences you'll need to start at entry level. PT school is NOT supposed to be like a PT practice. In school, your primary role is to be a student. In the field, your primary role is to be a practitioner. Also, even if your passion is for pediatrics, there is no "pediatrics only" NPTE. You do in fact need ortho, neuro, etc if you want to pass the NPTE and become ANY kind of PT. That, and your, "When will I ever use this" thinking may be a little limited. Children have neurological systems too, you know.

Adding to the above: very few students can say with 100% certainty what setting they will end up practicing in following school. I had several classmates who came into school gung-ho about peds, neuro, manual therapy, etc only to find that their preference drastically changed while they were in school or in clinicals. Don't dismiss your manual therapy, etc etc because it isn't peds. You never know where your interests and strengths will take you.

My advice is stick with it if it's only the "class" part of PT school that you don't like. PT school is a necessary step to have the career you chose to pursue. Personally, I've never been more miserable than I was during my first year as a DPT. I'm starting my first clinical in 2 months and I'm excited to see a different part of the schooling process. You've done a year of classwork, which is not what you'll be doing in a few years as a DPT if you just push through this phase.

I'm an OCS who works in pediatrics, and I would say that manual therapy/ortho training makes an excellent background for a career in pediatrics. I think you have to consider whether you want to provide physical therapy care to patients, and remember that PT programs are charged with preparing students to pass board exams. Once licensed, you can practice PT anywhere you like, and you can take only classes that interest you in your post grad education. But if you don't want to be a PT, then the PT degree is not very useful. It doesn't open many healthcare doors (BSN and MD are better for non-treating but still clinical health care jobs).

A good book to read is Pivot by Jenny Blake. Changing careers and paths is normal but sometimes we feel like the only choice is a huge change. Sometimes we just need to make a small adjustment to change the course of our lives, not a complete 180.

Consider what your goals are. Consider how knowing PT may help you achieve those goals. If they don't then pivot. Perhaps you could go the way suggested by others. Start an online business using your PT knowledge. Just keep in the game of finding what interests you and your motivation/satisfaction will improve.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
I think you got a lot great advice so far but I just want to tell you that what you are feeling is not unique especially in that first semester. I even have some posts on this forum asking if I made a horrible mistake. Keep in mind, nothing that you learn is a waste of time because you are adding to your knowledge and the more knowledge you have, the better practitioner you will be. Everything that I have learned so far has come up in the clinic and I am not exaggerating. PT school is meant to get you through the NPTE but that doesn't mean the material is fluff.

Old school PTs will even tell you that they learned neuro only for neuro PT, ortho only for ortho PT, but that has changed because it was wrong. Regardless of what population you work with, they will have ortho issues, neuro issues, psychological issues, integumentary issues some will have unique diagnoses, some will be straight forward. You will be a great therapist because you pay attention to those little details and you don't ignore their other systems.

PT school is hard. PT school requires sacrifice and it can really suck. You are just studying to pass the exams because you need to pass those exams but what you are paying for is valuable.

Decide on what you want. Does PT make you happy? Then you need to get committed and do whatever it takes to get through this program.

I am going to PT school in Florida starting in August. Are you willing to share where you are? Are you a second year now?

I am going IN to PT as a second career at 33 (37 by the time I am done *if* I can make it in to a program on my first go round).....

Something relevant that I learned from another degree and various life experiences... In anything you pursue at a high level regarding the accumulation information, you will come across details that seem vague, maybe unnecessarily specific, maybe some things even feel completely off topic... But with time and experience in any practice you will find yourself occasionally recalling some of those "unimportant" details, and sometimes they may even be a life saver.

Something else to consider when feeling generally burnt out and stressed... Sleep patterns? Diet patterns? Exercise? Getting out to just exist in the world at least every once in a while? Is it the program or something else that is a distraction? Is there maybe even an underlying clinical diagnosis (low T, manic depressive, etc) that may be at play? (these are of course rhetorical questions)

You got the spot that a lot of us out here in the world want, and sounds like you are just about half way. HALF WAY through a DPT program, in terms of life a year and half is nothing. Find some time to be alone from the world and do some self reflecting, find your peace, and push through.

You may love PT but hate learning about it. Hell, I LOVE playing weird jazz/neo soul pieces on the piano, but sitting down and plugging away at the theory makes me want to puke.

Good luck!

Hey,
So I have been practicing physical therapy for over seven years now. I've done a ton of out patient and acute care. I've done travel physical therapy (first two years), and home health on the side. I've had a private practice that I closed after all the changes in healthcare, especially in my state. I may be repeating what others have said but you should spend more time shadowing physical therapists in different setting and with different specialties. You're in graduate school. Who ever said it would be easy lied to you. It's hard. PT school was the hardest thing I've done. You won't like every single class no matter where you go. You won't love every aspect about ANY place you work. You have to be realistic too btw. Spend serious time shadowing physical therapists in different settings and specialties before you decide to completely leave the profession. I don't think changing schools is the best idea unless your school has pretty bad 1st time pass rates on the boards. BTW it's important for a school to prepare you for the boards and prepare you to be a great therapist. I know a few people with all the PT debt who never passed. So anyway if it's just school, School is temporary. It's such a short time in you life. You'll get through it. I'm hoping you don't make your decisions to quickly. I've been considering going to medical school for a couple of years now. I took the MCAT and will be starting my career change to medicine in the fall. I'm in my 30s. I really thought about this. I hope you do too. And if you decide that this career (not school) is not for you do something else. But really think about it. No school is going to be easier or perfect.

This description probably fits 50% or more of 2nd year PT students, nothing is wrong with you at all. The people in my program who are interested in peds express the exact same feelings (actually pretty much all of us feel this way to some extent at this point). Most exams in PT school are not geared toward learning how to be a great therapist, they are a game of "guess what's in the professor's head" and/or memorizing all the random bits of minutia that that particular instructor happens to have glommed on to. This is how it is at all PT schools and I imagine in pretty much all professional degree programs in general.

Set yourself up with an awesome peds rotation and other rotations you can succeed at and learn from, then keep your head down and play the game until you graduate. It's all just a big paper chase at this point (as most of your 5+ years of education thus far likely has been to some extent), get the degree and the license on the wall and then go do what you want to do. Pediatric therapy is a very under-served population in many parts of the country, you will have no problem finding employment with a bit of experience in peds if that is your desired specialty. Not that many therapists want to do peds and we really need more people like you. You are going to be making a huge difference in the lives of children with disabilities and the lives of their families, try to remember that and jump through as many hoops as you have to until you graduate.

Transferring PT schools isn't a thing, and at this point probably half or close to half of your tuition is already paid so you've got to get the degree. A DPT with one credit hour not completed is literally exactly the same as having never gone to PT school at all. And who knows, you may very well fall in love with another setting on rotations as well, there is a lot out there in this profession and everyone likes seeing pts more than sitting through lectures and doing busywork.