DPT school accept students from their own school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WelovePT

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if PT schools give favors on accepting students who graduated from the same undergrad? I heard that many grad schools do not like to accept their own students graduated from their undergraduate. I am not sure if that is true because I've seen some people got accepted back into the same school. I know that GPA and GRE are the most important factors to be considered but I'm still hoping to get some comments from those who applied.

Members don't see this ad.

Just like a lot of things on here... it depends on the school

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I did not have a stellar GPA (3.65) or GRE (302, 4), but had great rapport w/ my professors (many of which teach in PT school here), worked at the university hospital as a rehab aide, and was declined a seat by my undergrad institution. I felt betrayed in a way, but this school primarily looks at GRE (nothing else, apparently) to grant admission.

If you are tied exactly with someone else, I don't see why they'd give a seat to someone else? Maybe so they can get out of state tuition? I'm not sure, I was accepted as in state to my school and my school takes like 80% out of state, so I think it depends on the school like others said. But think about it, they make almost double for getting an OOS student

I did not have a stellar GPA (3.65)...

An A- average is pretty good. Some people think they're literally trash if they don't have a 3.9/4.0 GPA. I don't get it.

Reactions: 7 users
An A- average is pretty good. Some people think they're literally trash if they don't have a 3.9/4.0 GPA. I don't get it.
My undergrad institution accepting only 3.9's and 320+ GRE's really hurts the ole self esteem ;)

My undergrad institution accepting only 3.9's and 320+ GRE's really hurts the ole self esteem ;)

Yeah? I'm curious what school this is. A program that can accept and build a class of students with ONLY 3.9+ GPAs and 320+ GREs must be highly regarded.

I don't think this affects your statistical odds that much at most schools, other factors will be much more heavily weighted. Definitely depends on the school. Call up the admissions office and ask. State schools will tell you that in-state students get preference, I doubt any of them will tell you that they give preference to students who went to undergrad there.

My undergrad typically does not take its own students, according to several professors. However, they accepted 12 out of 40 students this past cycle.