DPT + PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DollarNaDream

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any information or guidance regarding going into a PhD after graduating? I'm currently a DPT student, (My school does not offer a joint PhD Program) and I'm looking into PhD programs because I eventually want to go into academia and I'm genuinely interested in research.

I'm looking into science based PhD's, Neuroscience in particular. Anyone gone through a similar order, DPT then Science PhD and have any advice? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have any information or guidance regarding going into a PhD after graduating? I'm currently a DPT student, (My school does not offer a joint PhD Program) and I'm looking into PhD programs because I eventually want to go into academia and I'm genuinely interested in research.

I'm looking into science based PhD's, Neuroscience in particular. Anyone gone through a similar order, DPT then Science PhD and have any advice? Thanks.

Work for a few to moderate amount of years and then head back for it. If you don't have a joint then I assume you don't have funding. Take care of loans while working in a niche. Many many therapists that have contributed to the rehab literature worked for years before returning.

Neuro is exciting if you can work with those patients. Work with vents for cardiopulm, orthotics and prosthetics for ortho and postop, and creating practice parameters for pediatrics are all areas to look into for PhD work.

First take care of yourself though. Hope that helps

I'm nowhere near being a pt, (don't even have a degree yet, but going for A.S. In pta next year) so I prob shouldn't be here asking anyone anything but, id like to ask regardless and hopefully get some well informed replies. Concerning attempting a dual doctorate what do you think would be a better route dpt/phd in rehab Sci or engineering? What about a phd in pt after completion of a dot? What are the differences between a phd in physical therapy and a phd in rehab Sci? The reason I ask these questions is because I've been reconsidering when I finally do get in pt school and ultimately graduate id like to be a part time researcher with my projects focused on neurophysiology and neurorehabilitation and I used to think that going the dpt ncs/ecs faaompt path would lead to not only better opportunities to conduct research but to a better understanding of the brain, now I'm not sure please all bestow your knowledge and wisdom unto me

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm nowhere near being a pt, (don't even have a degree yet, but going for A.S. In pta next year) so I prob shouldn't be here asking anyone anything but, id like to ask regardless and hopefully get some well informed replies. Concerning attempting a dual doctorate what do you think would be a better route dpt/phd in rehab Sci or engineering? What about a phd in pt after completion of a dot? What are the differences between a phd in physical therapy and a phd in rehab Sci? The reason I ask these questions is because I've been reconsidering when I finally do get in pt school and ultimately graduate id like to be a part time researcher with my projects focused on neurophysiology and neurorehabilitation and I used to think that going the dpt ncs/ecs faaompt path would lead to not only better opportunities to conduct research but to a better understanding of the brain, now I'm not sure please all bestow your knowledge and wisdom unto me

A clinical doctoral degree and the postprofessional training/certifications work for making a living as a clinician.

A physical therapy PhD IS a PhD in rehabilitation science. You should be going that route.

Also, the PTA degree is a terminal associates. You will need to complete a full bachelors before physical therapy school or a PhD program. I would recommend working as a PTA, then taking coursework to complete a kinesiology, neuroscience, psychology, biomedical degree before a PhD program.

Biomedical engineering is an undergrad degree. PhDs in those are another world. I would recommend an engineering degree with an eye towards working corporate for a while before doing work on an engineering PhD to work with product development and R&D before stepping back out into the market.

Tyvm yes ik that pta is a terminal degree but that is just a stepping stone into the pt profession, id be going for a bs in kinesiology or athletic training while still completing the pre reqs for pt admission. Though, I'm not particularly interested in a coupling a dpt with a phd in engineering I gotta admit device development & design does sound interesting, heck the technological aspect of pt is alluring. So, what would the entry level dpt, residency and fellowship allow a practicing pt to do, research as well or just be a better clinician?

Tyvm yes ik that pta is a terminal degree but that is just a stepping stone into the pt profession, id be going for a bs in kinesiology or athletic training while still completing the pre reqs for pt admission. Though, I'm not particularly interested in a coupling a dpt with a phd in engineering I gotta admit device development & design does sound interesting, heck the technological aspect of pt is alluring. So, what would the entry level dpt, residency and fellowship allow a practicing pt to do, research as well or just be a better clinician?

Clinician.

If you're program doesn't have a DPT/PhD program, then I would definitely recommend working as a PT first for a few years (or if you're a masochist complete your PhD part-time while working full-time or some other combo). This would allow you to actually be exposed to PT and experience first-hand gaps in literature and help you develop and form clinical research questions. Make sure the PhD program you're choosing will give you the knowledge and skills (and mentorship) to perform the type of research you want to do in the future. Look at how much the program emphasizes teaching and research. Depending on what balance of scholarship/teaching/service you are planning to have, choosing the right program that provides/focuses on your particular interest will be important. A PhD in Neuroscience, for example, may be heavy in bench research and may place little emphasis on teaching or clinical/translational research. A PhD in Physical Therapy can be more flexible in terms of your research inclinations, dependent on the school you choose. A PhD in Rehabilitation Sciences may be more of an "interdisciplinary" degree and less focused. A PhD in Engineering wouldn't be advisable unless you have a background in engineering, e.g. BS in a field of engineering, which is not that uncommon in PT.

I recommend working for a few years as a clinician. I also cannot recommend enough to identify potential mentors for a PhD early and establish a relationship with one that you want to work with. This absolutely includes looking at their funding. YOU SHOULD NEVER PAY FOR A PHD. Your mentor should fund you. A PhD is to give you the skills and experience and mentor ship to be an independent researcher and that is the only goal of a PhD. Your mentor must be an independent researcher to provide you with the appropriate opportunities and needs funding for their work and to support you. Although I have many opinions about PhD programs this is the one absolute requirement to increase your potential as an independent researcher.

Reactions: 1 user