DPT and DO/ PM&R career swit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTDUDEUCF22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Currently a 3rd Semester DPT student, I always wanted to DO school but opted for the path of least resistance (PT school). However, Seeing all the DO students studying around me, I realize I can make it through schooling as I Feel up to the challenge.

However, I have just opted to continue with DPT education as to not to waste the $$. My plan is to graduate work for a couple years pay off my debt and finish like 4 pre-req classes for DO school. I'm 21 now I'll be 24 when i grad with my DPT. So ill be 25-26 when i am applying to DO school.

I have a few question and am open to others opinions.

How related is the applicable knowledge between these two fields? If i was a pmr in a rehab unit with PT knowledge would i ever apply this knowledge as a pmr?

In a outpatient setting as a PMR would there be more overlap in amount of manual therapy and knowledge?

Having a DPT and work experience would be beneficial or not to applying to school?

Research Aspect of DO / DPT: I'm fully aware that i can do rehab research as a DPT, but as a DO I imagine if i go research route that ill be able to have greater control and independence, and be able to do more?

This is all a ways down the road but I just was wanting to hear your guys opinions and comments as I feel i would be happy and satisfied as a PT but More fulfilled as DO.

Members don't see this ad.

First I'd ask yourself why you think you will be more fulfilled as a DO verses a DPT. What are you specifically wanting out of your job that you are not getting as a PT that you think you will get as a physician.

Just realize that after you finish your DPT and have a few years of work experience you will still have a long and drawn out road to becoming a physiatrist. Besides the extra undergraduate education, MCAT and other extracurricular activities (research, volunteer work, etc.) that you will have to keep current, once you get into medical school it will be 5 years until you even start learning about PM&R (4 years school + internship). At most you will have 1-3 months of PM&R electives during your 4th year of medical school and will have zero-to-little PM&R education during medical school. Then you have 3 more years of post-graduate training before you can start trying to make a practice into what you desire. Thats a long time making little or no money and encountering a lot of debt.

So if you are happy and satisfied as a DPT, i'd really ask why you want to make the switch now and is it really going to change your work satisfaction all that much in the long run. I think to answer most of your questions, you should really shadow an IPR physiatrist for a couple of days to really see how PT and PMR relate and what physiatrist do in that setting.