DOs with 30+ MCATs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just wanted to be a doctor.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
How many of you guys at DO schools have 30+ on your mcats and what do you think was limiting your app from getting into MD (unless you chose DO over md)?

I'm not trying to start a fight. I'm starting this thread because someone recently told me that they went to a DO school over an MD school and that got me thinking about the topic. One of my greatest mentors is a DO, and I've met many brilliant DOs that I hope to be as good as professionally. I have a family friend that is a DO ortho surgeon, and I've shadowed multiple DOs in highly competitive fields. I was curious and wanted to get anecdotal info on how many of you guys got over a 30, and what stopped you from going md.

If you guys could reply with the following I think I'd would make the thread more neat:
1. MCAT score
2. Reason for going DO

33/3.9

Cost(no in-state acceptances)/Location
No major regrets.

Reactions: 1 users
30+/ 3.7....lots of EC's as well but applied kinda late and non-citizen so could only apply to some schools, got waitlisted at an MD program and only got into DO schools. Was definitely pissed at first but I think it made me work much harder in med school because I felt like I had something to prove. If you get into an MD school, go to an MD school simply because you will have more options when it comes to applying for residency, unless you love omm. MD schools have home programs and more research which are better for building connections but you can make up for this by building your own contacts, etc. Either way you learn the same stuff and you gotta work hard regardless. DO leadership has done a great job with advocacy (i.e merger) and so options for residency continue to increase. Humility and hustle are the key no matter where you go.

Members don't see this ad :)
How many of you guys at DO schools have 30+ on your mcats and what do you think was limiting your app from getting into MD (unless you chose DO over md)?

I'm not trying to start a fight. I'm starting this thread because someone recently told me that they went to a DO school over an MD school and that got me thinking about the topic. One of my greatest mentors is a DO, and I've met many brilliant DOs that I hope to be as good as professionally. I have a family friend that is a DO ortho surgeon, and I've shadowed multiple DOs in highly competitive fields. I was curious and wanted to get anecdotal info on how many of you guys got over a 30, and what stopped you from going md.

If you guys could reply with the following I think I'd would make the thread more neat:
1. MCAT score
2. Reason for going DO

1. 30+, 3.87
2. accepted into MD, turned them down to play professional sports and then came back after a few years and went DO route.

Reactions: 1 user
No undergrad research, average EC's, average LOR, 3.5 undergrad GPA, 4.0 SMP GPA. It took me 4 attempts to get a 511. I also had a legal issue as a minor which I think turned off a lot of MD schools.

I'm just thankful I got in somewhere.

I don't really get while this thread was revised. But i'm bored, and my 2 cents is this. There is some predictiveness of a good MCAT and Step 1; and its due to the common variable of... the student! If you could be disciplined enough to do well on one, odds are you can apply that same motivation to step1. And likewise, there's plenty of room for improvement, and DO school will give you a couple years of practice to figure that out.

I think the similarities end there. For the D*&% measuring; MCAT: 30, Step1 250+, Level1 700+ I was a totally different person by the time boards rolled around compared to my young MCAT self.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah for me I grew up poor and worked since the age of 12, full time since 18 and prioritized work over school when I was 18-22 or 23. Then I got my crap together and ended up with a 3.5 and >30 MCAT plus got above a 3.8 in a master's program, but my early GPA was just too much of a red flag (around a 3.0). Got wait listed at an MD School and got into a DO school. Despite the low SES, the true death knell for my application was being a white male from California. It's ok though because I really love where I ended up and I wouldn't trade it for any other school. Besides, I'm killing it where I currently am. Like others have posted, I have a sort of chip on my shoulder now which keeps me motivated.

Reactions: 1 user
Lots of 30+ MCATs at my DO school. Some turned down MD acceptances, I'm assuming mostly for location.
Most, obviously, do well, but at least one failed out. I guess it's a good reminder that the MCAT/Step correlation isn't particularly strong.