DO's in Academics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MJD503

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am verrrry early in the process of med school and this might come off as misinformed..etc
Just curious, is it possible to pursue a career in Research/Academics via completion of Ostepathic Medicine?

Thanks for the info!!

Members don't see this ad.

Here are some DO's doing research at Evanston Northwestern Healthcare, some of whom are faculty at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine:

Mark G. Neerhof, DO
Principal Investigator
Division of Maternal Fetal Medicine
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
Associate Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Northwestern University's Feinberg School of Medicine

David P. Randall, DO
Department of Neurology

Stuart M. Sprague, DO
Division of Nephrology
Department of Medicine

Scott N. MacGregor, DO
Director
Division of Maternal-Fetal Medicine
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
Associate Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Northwestern University's Feinberg School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad :)
Mike MacKinnon said:
Sure DO's do as much research as anyone else.

Care to back that up with some numbers?

Good luck.

There's another thread out there with a website of the DO research. Yes they do research. No its not going ot be as much as MD's because obviously there are MORE MD's out there than DO's. Some residencies require research and some don't. I'll look to see if I can find that particular link that was posted.

AACOM Clnical Research Database

DO-online research page

Here's some worldwide links of osteopathy

You also have to remember, not all DO's are versed in medicine as well. Alot of DO's over the world are just versed in OMM which is why some DO's have problems practicing in certain areas. Its not becoming as much as a problem recently although I'm sure some places it still is. So there is research going on at a global level on OMM but its not advertised as much. Why? Because OMM research is hard to measure and interpret the data for some things. Read up on it to fully understand it as I myself don't have all the answers but maybe someone else can step in about OMM research.

But yes, there are DO schools that have research but usually aren't as advertised as MD schools. I know UMDNJ has a lot of opportunities due to the connection with 2 other MD schools and the state of NJ (all under fire at the moment).

OUCOM's research page