Do's and Don'ts of Applying to Vet School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys,
Potential applicant with a quick question:
Do admissions committee members actually call your references and verify that you've done X amount of hours at a center or ask what your roles and responsibilities were as a volunteer at ________?
Thanks!
Typically no, that would be a ton of work considering how many applicants they get. It's kind of an honor system thing, and I don't think they usually call unless something looks fishy. There are probably a few school-specific exceptions.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,
Potential applicant with a quick question:
Do admissions committee members actually call your references and verify that you've done X amount of hours at a center or ask what your roles and responsibilities were as a volunteer at ________?
Thanks!
UGA is the only school I know of that calls experiences.

Typically no, that would be a ton of work considering how many applicants they get. It's kind of an honor system thing, and I don't think they usually call unless something looks fishy. There are probably a few school-specific exceptions.

I know of someone that was asked specific questions about their experience in their interview.. After the interview, they found out that that school actually called the experience reference for verification because I guess her responses to the questions seemed "off". Needless to say, she didn't get into that school.. So I guess moral of the story is, don't lie about your experiences, and don't try to BS your way through your answers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine
New app Cornell developed to track animal and vet experience. Could be useful for all the prevets?
Interesting idea! Could see potential problems if you change phones/ it breaks/ the app crashes and deletes your information though. Overall I think the intention is good but imo an app is unnecessary. Once I actually knew what vmcas was, I researched the different experience types and I used a spiral notebook and wrote down all my experiences and what category it was in. Worked really well for me (especially since VMCAS is always changing the formatting)

I will say, if it auto-chronologically orders the experiences for you, it’d be really nice! That was always a struggle for me! :laugh: