DO's and Academic IM Residency - Realistic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meliora27

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a third year DO student planning on applying to ACGME IM residencies. I'm starting to do some research on programs and come up with some places that I think I may have a realistic chance at matching. I was hoping for some "straight talk" from those who have gone through this already on realistic expectations. Obviously I will not stand much/any chance at the very top places but I was wondering how competitive I would be.

Preclinical Grades: B's
USMLE Step 1: 23x
Clerkships: Mostly Honors (including IM)
NBME Shelf Scores: Honors (do these get recorded anywhere?)
Research: 5 months of bench research. 2 posters. 1 manuscript pending
Step 2: Pending

Would I be competitive for what's talked about on SDN as "mid-tier"?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't get too hung up on what SND considers mid-tier. I've seen threads where Myoclinic and Vanderbilt were counted under the mid-tier category.

Besides, I think your question has been answered like +100 times on SDN if you do some searching.

I wouldn't get too hung up on what SND considers mid-tier. I've seen threads where Myoclinic and Vanderbilt were counted under the mid-tier category.

Besides, I think your question has been answered like +100 times on SDN if you do some searching.

No we dont

OP, yes you would be a candidate for the mid-tier which includes most university programs not in the top 30 or so. You need to apply to community programs as a backup as well until you have enough interviews to feel comfortable. IM has become more competitive each year.

Members don't see this ad :)
If your step two fall in line with your step one, then you'll be fine. I've told friends in the years behind me to focus on programs you think you can get into, apply to a couple as a back up and a couple that are a stretch but you think you'd really like. Shoot for a dozen interviews and you'll be in great shape...not that you will necessarily need that many.

Yea I think you should be ok just from the limited information there. As usual, apply broadly and realistically and do some aways.

I had similar step 1 score and was looking at similar sort of mid-tier IM programs when I was applying.

You would be competitive at my program, which most would regard as a middle or upper middle tier ACGME IM prog (I'm a DO).

I echo the above thoughts encouraging OP to apply to mid-tier university programs. Include OHSU as a reach-- great program, low-top or high-mid tier, has historically accepted DOs. The only thing I would caution is that there are some mid-tier programs which, for whatever reason, categorically do not accept DOs or set the bar unreasonably high (e.g. Einstein). Do some research on the individual program.

Would anyone have any advice for someone who has a similar profile but has failed the PE?

Would anyone have any advice for someone who has a similar profile but has failed the PE?

I would expect that failing anything constitutes a pretty major red flag--not sure what the protocol is regarding submitting COMLEX stuff when applying to MD programs. If you do have to submit it, a fail plus a DO and may be an uphill climb.

I would expect that failing anything constitutes a pretty major red flag--not sure what the protocol is regarding submitting COMLEX stuff when applying to MD programs. If you do have to submit it, a fail plus a DO and may be an uphill climb.

I'm relatively certain that I have to submit it. And my bad for reviving a long dead thread. Thanks for the reply. Cheers!