don't wait until it's too late

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Leo Aquarius

Anxiety.org Schizophrenia.com DepressionHealth.net
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, it was about this time last year that I started the long haul of studying for the board exam, and what worked best for me was doing tons of practice questions which is by far the best way to prepare. The 2017 board exam is around Sept 18th. 5 months sounds far away, but it flies by.

As my program director used to say, those who don't pass didn't do enough practice questions.

Just a heads up so you all make sure you pass! Get on those practice questions and start some reviewing. Life gets much better after residency :)

(For those wondering what I used to prepare for the psychiatry board exam, there are relatively realistic question banks at Psychiatryboardsprep . com. I tried a few others, but that had the most similar questions to what I saw on the real thing. Good luck and PM me for additional advice if you want.)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
For questions, the Psychiatry board review book by Kenney and Spiegel is all you need to crush the board exam. Do all the questions timed, and review all the explanations. It is concise and more difficult than the actual exam. Watch the vignettes on the APBN website to practice video questions. Easy peasy.

Reactions: 4 users
I used the Kenny and Spiegel book which is definitely a must, but it was a starting point. I found it didn't cover enough topics especially now with everything being DSM-V, more recent focus subjects on the test being covered like combat-related topics, pain medicine (hot topic!), and such not really in the book, and it's neurology is too light. Plus, to slog through an 8 hour test of hundreds of questions requires computer practice just like preparing for a marathon is my best advice.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
For questions, the Psychiatry board review book by Kenney and Spiegel is all you need to crush the board exam. Do all the questions timed, and review all the explanations. It is concise and more difficult than the actual exam. Watch the vignettes on the APBN website to practice video questions. Easy peasy.

Agree completely. I only had the book so didn't time myself. I don't think you need to get Beat The Boards.

You guys must be extra intelligent. The book wouldn't have been enough for me.

I tried Beat The Boards through a colleague and it was way overkill, boring videos (put me to sleep) and over $1000. That's another reason I went with Psychiatry Boards Prep - very reasonable for very thorough question banks that made the board exam feel easy. That was my easy peasy. But I guess to each his own.

It's actually quite prudent. Everyone at my program recommends some form of computerized practice questions. All the senior residents in the class above me did them, and all but one in the class above them signed up for a test prep program. I definitely will at some point, I'm thinking probably soon.

One of our residents failed. Never did on-screen style questions. He said he used the massive Kaplan & Sadock book and Kenny and Spiegel. Not sure what happened there.

It's actually quite prudent. Everyone at my program recommends some form of computerized practice questions. All the senior residents in the class above me did them, and all but one in the class above them signed up for a test prep program. I definitely will at some point, I'm thinking probably soon.

One of our residents failed. Never did on-screen style questions. He said he used the massive Kaplan & Sadock book and Kenny and Spiegel. Not sure what happened there.

I wouldn't put falling on the type of studying. The test is encompassing everything you have learned over 4 years. It is also notoriously easy with much higher pass rates than other specialties (and our field draws upon people who tend to have somewhat lower end test scores). If you haven't put in the work over 4 years of training, then by all means cram hard for a few months and do a ton of different sources. Otherwise the test does a decent job doing what it is supposed to do - show that you completed a residency with marginal aptitude for $2400.

Reactions: 1 user
I get the need to get used to the question formats and the efficiency of studying test questions, but for those of you further back in training and not about to run out of time, I would suggest reading a comprehensive text at least once to formulate a much more coherent understanding of our field. Using Shakespeare as an analogy, questions seem like a flash card: Hamlet = "To be or not to be"... A comprehensive text is like the Cliff notes, and the play is reading the relevant research. I know this sounds old fashion, but actual reading does help you pass tests. Like I have ranted before, PRITE questions where never designed to be a comprehensive curriculum.

Reactions: 1 users
I get the need to get used to the question formats and the efficiency of studying test questions, but for those of you further back in training and not about to run out of time, I would suggest reading a comprehensive text at least once to formulate a much more coherent understanding of our field. Using Shakespeare as an analogy, questions seem like a flash card: Hamlet = "To be or not to be"... A comprehensive text is like the Cliff notes, and the play is reading the relevant research. I know this sounds old fashion, but actual reading does help you pass tests. Like I have ranted before, PRITE questions where never designed to be a comprehensive curriculum.

Would it be fair to say a combination of reading a solid comprehensive psychiatry text book during residency and a solid collection of practice questions is the way to go.

That's essentially what I did. I read through a heavy psychiatry textbook as a resident, even napped on it a few times in the library, and sealed the deal with a big question bank prior to the board exam. Do both, because it would stink to have to retake the boards paying another $2400.

I agree with the question bank. I learn from questions, not through textbooks or videos. But I still contend that Speigel is all you need: it has 900 questions, I believe, and I did that 3 or 4 times over and felt super prepared for the boards. YMMV.

I also had a bootleg copy of Kaufman neuro review course which I thought was OK, but neuro questions were way better in Spiegel.

I agree with the question bank. I learn from questions, not through textbooks or videos. But I still contend that Speigel is all you need: it has 900 questions, I believe, and I did that 3 or 4 times over and felt super prepared for the boards. YMMV.

I also had a bootleg copy of Kaufman neuro review course which I thought was OK, but neuro questions were way better in Spiegel.

I agree with this. I did Speigel once and passed easily.

Easy enough that I didn't study at all for child boards.

I agree with this. I did Speigel once and passed easily.

Easy enough that I didn't study at all for child boards.

Was child boards easier than adult, or about the same in terms of difficulty? Any suggestions, since there's so little out there for child boards? I don't wanna pay for Beat The Boards.

Was child boards easier than adult, or about the same in terms of difficulty? Any suggestions, since there's so little out there for child boards? I don't wanna pay for Beat The Boards.

Probably quite similar. My passing score was lower, but I was over a year out of training, working, and decided that a retake would be preferable to studying.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did Prite Ninja 2x and K&S 3x and passed with a comfortable margin. *shrug*. Far more worried about 10 years from now. Stupid ABPN Mafia

#1. Thanks Leo for the Psychiatry Boards Prep mention. So far awesome sample questions.

#2. Kenny and Spiegel book might have been a great a few years ago, but I found their newest version having annoying mistakes. So you either use the older version which isn't DSM-V, or the newer one with mistakes. So annoying. This year the board exam is 100% DSM-V.

#3. I'd much rather spend $300 on review than take a risk on not being fully prepared for something so important as board certification.

Yes, as on walden pond mentions, I recommend getting the old version of Spiegel and Kenny - I think one of them is dead now and they obviously hastily cobbled together the new version for DSM-5. I really don't think it will make a difference as they are not testing diagnostic criteria on the exam. presumably dependence/abuse vs. use disorder, illness anxiety disorder vs hypochondriasis is something you can navigate. I spent a few weeks going through this book and scored 96% on the psychiatry section and 89% overall. I didnt have much time to dedicate to boards as I was super busy with other stuff but it's a straightforward exam (the video vignettes are a bit weird though). The book is not perfect but it's as good as there is; some of the actual questions were verbatim in the book. Absoultely do not need to use a neurology text.

My recommendation to junior residents is that you do lots of reading when you can! Then you will find you don't need to prep much for the boards. It's by far the easiest specialty boards, and much easier than the USMLEs. It's even easier now you don't have to pass the neuro section individually to pass overall. The notion one needs to spend months preparing for the boards is really not true though presumably will vary from individual to individual.

...I spent a few weeks going through this book and scored 96% on the psychiatry section and 89% overall. I didnt have much time to dedicate to boards as I was super busy with other stuff but it's a straightforward exam (the video vignettes are a bit weird though)...
My recommendation to junior residents is that you do lots of reading when you can! Then you will find you don't need to prep much for the boards. It's by far the easiest specialty boards, and much easier than the USMLEs. It's even easier now you don't have to pass the neuro section individually to pass overall. The notion one needs to spend months preparing for the boards is really not true though presumably will vary from individual to individual.
1) You're not typical (although I had a similar experience, we're still outliers)
2) Completely agree. Read while you're a resident, do case-based learnig on the cases you actually see that day, and it'll seem like a joke. 15 min per day actively looking up, cross-checking etc, and you'll get by just fine.

I am preparing for the psych MOC exam and one of my prep sources is the Spiegel and Kenny book. Some annoying errors. For example, question #87 in the first test asks which of the following drugs is a potent cp450 inhibitor and raises the level of lamictal. It gives the answer as valproate and states that it is a classical 3A4 inhibitor.
Acutally, Valproate is a UGT inhibitor (phase 2 glucoronidation), and that is how it increases lamictal levels.

Don't worry, you just passed. The pass rate is something like 98% so you would have to be really bad to fail.
I can see how this could happen. A question writer remembers the 3 Lamictal starter packs with the usual double (Tegretol) and have (Depakote) dosing. They look up which enzyme Lamicatal uses and poof, there's your answer.

I think the K and S online test platform is very well designed for my personality (better than USMLE World) and I think it has 1000 plus questions (1600?)? I wish I had it for every topic in medicine during medical school in that exact adaptable platform. Do 10 questions at a time, do a 100, what ever your mood but just keep drilling. I made a pass or two through the ones I knew and the ones I didn't that kept getting me which were in the 100s and did those a few times. Obviously reading the explanations gets faster and faster each pass through. It is irrelevant if you get it right or wrong, better to know what you don't know or what you're on the fence about. Do not want to mislead anyone but for myself anything in addition to K and S would have been a distraction and for the result of passing the test is definitely sufficient as the sole resource. I spent about 3-4 weeks preparing some days many hours (14 plus), some days just couldn't get on the horse and would try again the next day. I took the exam a few years ago for reference and don't know about any changes. Good luck, see you on the other side. You guys are doing a great job.

Psychiatry Board Exam Pass Rate = 88% (This is low! averaged from 2011-2015)

https://www.abpn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/ABPN-Pass-Rates-5-Year-Summary.pdf

That means 12% don't pass (obviously). It's also obvious that unless you are super smart, doing a large question bank is prudent. I know someone who failed on first attempt. The threat is not to be dismissed.

(As an aside, psychiatry is on the challenging side of board exams. Neurology has essentially the same pass rate at 87%. Internal medicine was 90% in 2016. Gastroenterology was 98% in 2016! Critical Care Medicine = 95% in 2016.)

Last edited:
Um
It's not a challenging exam it's just that a lot psychiatrists are ******ed
While I don't disagree with you, I think we enjoy a certain vantage point from the inside. We know and experience enough to recognize the BS, leaving the nonsense of foreign subjects and colleagues relatively undiscovered. I assure you they're ******ed, too.

the recert and the cert are completely different tests. Recert doesn't have neuro and child psych. It is purposely "very clinical".

Psychiatry Board Exam Pass Rate = 88% (This is low! averaged from 2011-2015)

https://www.abpn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/ABPN-Pass-Rates-5-Year-Summary.pdf

That means 12% don't pass (obviously). It's also obvious that unless you are super smart, doing a large question bank is prudent. I know someone who failed on first attempt. The threat is not to be dismissed.

(As an aside, psychiatry is on the challenging side of board exams. Neurology has essentially the same pass rate at 87%. Internal medicine was 90% in 2016. Gastroenterology was 98% in 2016! Critical Care Medicine = 95% in 2016.)

Okay, and Peds was 81% (a field where the applicants tend to have somewhat similar skills in test taking to psych), so over 50% more folks failed that test. Cherry picking fellowship pass rates compared to general residency is also a bit silly. The test is not trivial but it is also pretty easy as far as general residency's go. The point is that if you have put in your time over the 4 years, do a bit of review but don't freak out. People know if they have been huge slackers, if that is you, then by all means jam as many review materials as possible to save yourself a repeat $2400.

I'd argue the exam often tests useless aspects of clinical psychiatry.
I agree. When I took it, I got battered with questions on a single topic of minutia, though I forget what... ;-)

That said, while the "useless aspects" are many, they're identifiable and not complex. After four years of a psychiatry residency, if you devote a good amount of time to study and do it in an organized way, you should be fine.

Um
It's not a challenging exam it's just that a lot psychiatrists are ******ed

No comment from me about the above, but you're gonna be flagged as a troll, Splik!

I spent 3 hours studying for the boards, and I passed. I spent more time driving to my exam site than I did preparing, and yet I apparently am (or was at the time) in the top quartile of people taking that test. I credit that to my residency program, even with all its flaws, which mainly included being malignant. But, they made us work. I doubt I could pass the boards right now that easily, because I'm out of the loop, only doing psych part time currently.

If you're looking for a challenge, boards-wise, I'd say try to ace the neurology component. That requires some actual study. It may be your last chance in life to be tested on the distribution of the ulnar nerve, so go for it!

No comment from me about the above, but you're gonna be flagged as a troll, Splik!

I spent 3 hours studying for the boards, and I passed. I spent more time driving to my exam site than I did preparing, and yet I apparently am (or was at the time) in the top quartile of people taking that test. I credit that to my residency program, even with all its flaws, which mainly included being malignant. But, they made us work. I doubt I could pass the boards right now that easily, because I'm out of the loop, only doing psych part time currently.

If you're looking for a challenge, boards-wise, I'd say try to ace the neurology component. That requires some actual study. It may be your last chance in life to be tested on the distribution of the ulnar nerve, so go for it!

I'm the opposite. I need slow, steady studying and 5 months will be perfect for me. I wouldn't dare study for just 3 hours, that's gutsy, impressive, yet gutsy.

Last edited:
Reading during residency, spiegel, and 1 month with beat the boards made the test a cake walk.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reading during residency, spiegel, and 1 month with beat the boards made the test a cake walk.

! If you have $1000 to spend... which I don't

OR.... for a fraction of the cost get great practice question banks like I did with PBP. To each his own i guess.

Last edited:
$1k isn't much in the grand scheme of things, please read white coat investor.

For those strapped for cash, from what I remember I think there's a program where all the psych residents of an institution get a special discount through Psychiatry Boards Prep.

Hope that can help some out there. I know I didn't have an extra $1000 laying around in residency (I still don't haha). I remember getting complete questions and vignettes at PBP at a pretty good price via this method. Just contact them and say you're in residency and name the school and you will get something.

Last edited:
If you have accepted a new position, ill bet they will advance your cme fund, they are invested in you being board certified.

Hi guys, it was about this time last year that I started the long haul of studying for the board exam, and what worked best for me was doing tons of practice questions which is by far the best way to prepare. The 2017 board exam is around Sept 18th. 5 months sounds far away, but it flies by.

As my program director used to say, those who don't pass didn't do enough practice questions.

Just a heads up so you all make sure you pass! Get on those practice questions and start some reviewing. Life gets much better after residency :)

(For those wondering what I used to prepare for the psychiatry board exam, there are relatively realistic question banks at Psychiatryboardsprep . com. I tried a few others, but that had the most similar questions to what I saw on the real thing. Good luck and PM me for additional advice if you want.)

So I used BTB/Speigel for gen psych boards and did okay. I got the BTB for child psych and I'm a little disappointed. A lot of the lectures are pretty old and ya know this year '2017 is the end of this three-year conversion program. Starting in 2017, all specifications and content of allABPN computer-delivered examinations will be based solely on DSM-5. No DSM-IV-TM classifications and diagnostic criteria will be applicable.' .... So I am wondering if there is going to be a lecture to review major changes to DSMV for child psych - which would be helpful or updates.... For example, DMDD is not covered. Now im wondering if boardprep would have been better. any others see this as a problem?

I failed last year, did ok in psych not neuro, didn't study enough and switched residency programs after 2 years so the lecture schedule was repetitive on a lot and absent on others and neither program was great and I didn't read nearly as much as I should have.. I am doing BTB and Clive and Spiegel. My love affair with psych is long gone and plan to volunteer in a free primary clinic to apply for FP next year but I paid for it and I kinda think they will ask at FP interviews if I passed the boards, ie they wanna know if I will be able to pass the FP boards.

I failed last year, did ok in psych not neuro, didn't study enough and switched residency programs after 2 years so the lecture schedule was repetitive on a lot and absent on others and neither program was great and I didn't read nearly as much as I should have.. I am doing BTB and Clive and Spiegel. My love affair with psych is long gone and plan to volunteer in a free primary clinic to apply for FP next year but I paid for it and I kinda think they will ask at FP interviews if I passed the boards, ie they wanna know if I will be able to pass the FP boards.

I never understand how people can be so sure they will prefer another specialty enough to justify a 600k+ financial hit to get a job that pays the same. Guess I'm just not very adventurous?

If I were burned out and wanted to recharge I would rather work like 1 weekend a month in psych and make the same as the FM resident working 80/week. Like literally you have the choice to work a couple days a month or to kill your self for another 2 years. Seems like an easy choice if your burned out.

Last edited:
I'm ok with the person making a switch, psychiatrists who aren't passionate tend to become mindless prescribers who are just going through the motions. Also, they will make an awesome pcp with the psychiatric training.

I never understand how people can be so sure they will prefer another specialty enough to justify a 600k+ financial hit to get a job that pays the same. Guess I'm just not very adventurous?

If I were burned out and wanted to recharge I would rather work like 1 weekend a month in psych and make the same as the FM resident working 80/week. Like literally you have the choice to work a couple days a month or to kill your self for another 2 years. Seems like an easy choice if your burned out.
Might be worth it to do what he/she would enjoy more. I miss general medicine more than I thought I would.

Sincerely wish you the best on this journey.

why do you have to "volunteer"? you should be able to find paid work in general medicine, for example in an urgent care setting or doing compensation and pension evals for the VA or doing other kinds of disability evals etc. You might as well be compensated for your work, you've come too far to work for free!

Is anyone/has anyone used "Board Vitals" Question Bank? Is it good?

I miss FP I like FP. I am not so much burned out, I just miss the whole rest of medicine and the variety. I don't mind 10-15 hours of therapy a week, but I honestly like FP.

why do you have to "volunteer"? you should be able to find paid work in general medicine, for example in an urgent care setting or doing compensation and pension evals for the VA or doing other kinds of disability evals etc. You might as well be compensated for your work, you've come too far to work for free!
I wouldn't feel comfortable working at an urgent care, I am too rusty. I was offered a job doing disability evals for TBI patients, but that wasn't enough medicine for me. I actually see a few patients gratis. There is more to life than money. Four hours every other week isn't going to make or break me. It feels good to give something to others knowing you won't get anything back.