Don't Have Step 2 Done Before General Surgery Applications. Does it Matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Is Step 2 Needed for General Surgery Residency?

• Needed for Applying

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • NOT Needed for Applying, NOT Needed To get Interviews

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • Not Needed for Applications, but is needed to get Interviews

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters

hopefulMD12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all, before you scream at me for not checking previous threads. They are many years old, and I don't know if its applicable now.

So I have my Step 1: 237. 4 Honors, 3 HP. 1st quartile in the class. Top 20 medical school. Good letters. Good research. I figure I have a good shot at good (meaning ranked 10-40) problems.

I had a sub I in july and one in August. I just finished, and applications are due in a week. I did not have time to take the Step 1.
Do any schools require it for applications? What about to offer you interviews? And what about for ranking you. I am planning on doing it on November 28th, so I will have it by rank list time. But will not have it for bulk of interview season.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

There will be some places that won't look at you without a step 2, but the vast majority will. Mainly a program that sets automatic filters may filter you out.

You can't change it now, so just apply and see how it goes. Maybe, add a few more programs than you would otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
First of all, before you scream at me for not checking previous threads. They are many years old, and I don't know if its applicable now.

So I have my Step 1: 237. 4 Honors, 3 HP. 1st quartile in the class. Top 20 medical school. Good letters. Good research. I figure I have a good shot at good (meaning ranked 10-40) problems.

I had a sub I in july and one in August. I just finished, and applications are due in a week. I did not have time to take the Step 1.
Do any schools require it for applications? What about to offer you interviews? And what about for ranking you. I am planning on doing it on November 28th, so I will have it by rank list time. But will not have it for bulk of interview season.

Thoughts?

You'll be fine without it for most programs. Some of the top programs may screen at a score above your Step 1 score though (rather than screening based on a lack of a Step 2 score). If you are ready to take it, just do so, you'll probably do well anyway.

Ok Thank you. I would appreciate some more thoughts. @Winged Scapula and @aProgDirector, I know you are both very knowledgeable. Thanks.
I'm not sure @aProgDirector is knowledgeable about surgical programs but he's welcome to weigh in.

You'll be fine in almost all cases with what you've got; some programs will require it/prefer it, but in general I find those are for borderline applicants or IMG applicants.

Reactions: 1 user
I know nothing about surgical program applications. But, since there's nothing you can do about it now anyway, there really isn't any question to answer. I think you'll be fine. But no number of us saying so will make you feel OK about it until you get your interview offers.

Reactions: 2 users
A very close friend was applying for neurosurgery and didn't take Step 2 CK until after most of his interviews (He did really well on Step 1 and knew he wasn't going to beat his score so he strategically held off Step 2). I know it's neurosurgery and not general surgery, but I couldn't imagine it would be too different. He received interviews at nearly every program he applied to and it was never a big deal that he did not have Step 2 CK.

I would not worry too much about it. It seems you have a solid application. Enjoy the rest of the fourth year!

7 years ago it didn't affect me (granted I was higher on step 1 and didn't apply outside my nyc region, but included several programs that people would consider in a list of top tier programs).

237 will be a bigger impediment than you are giving credit to. 7 years ago the average interviewed person at Mt. Sinai (nyc) had a step 1 over 250. While Mt. Sinai is good and would want to argue itself into the top tier of programs, it's not necessarily true. So I would apply broadly to a wide range of program types

Reactions: 1 users
7 years ago it didn't affect me (granted I was higher on step 1 and didn't apply outside my nyc region, but included several programs that people would consider in a list of top tier programs).

237 will be a bigger impediment than you are giving credit to. 7 years ago the average interviewed person at Mt. Sinai (nyc) had a step 1 over 250. While Mt. Sinai is good and would want to argue itself into the top tier of programs, it's not necessarily true. So I would apply broadly to a wide range of program types

You mean, it will be tough for me to match at programs ranked 10-40? Interesting. That's fine. I just want to go to a decent academic program. Everything else is icing on the cake.

You mean, it will be tough for me to match at programs ranked 10-40? Interesting. That's fine. I just want to go to a decent academic program. Everything else is icing on the cake.
Yes, I'm saying that it won't be a given with a step 1 of 237 and that a higher step 2 would have helped.

Reactions: 1 users