Don't feel like myself anymore

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

byaaaaaaah23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't really feel like I have anyone else I can talk to about this, but wanted to see if anyone on here went through anything similar.

I'm feeling like a ghost of my former self from before the match. I got so used to second-guessing every action I made during the match process that I am over-analyzing everything that happens to me and just generally feeling like I don't trust my own opinions anymore. I'm not sure how much of this is a byproduct of going through the match or just third & fourth years of medical school in general where I felt like everything I did was incorrect or just generally felt awkward most of the time. I was pretty happy with how my match turned out so don't think it's due to that.

For some more specific examples, today I struggled to make a simple decision scheduling a doctor's appointment because it conflicted with plans I had already made with someone else and just felt so indecisive about what to do. I called my sister to ask what she thought I should do. Additionally, I feel like I am really awkward around social interactions now where that wasn't a problem for me in the past. I don't feel that I am able to modulate my emotions as well as I used to and small things really get to me now. I've noticed this for at least the past few months now and am trying to correct it but haven't really been able to.

Has anyone else experienced these kinds of feelings, and if so did it go away as you got farther away from all the BS of the match? I feel like I should have so much more confidence in myself and be able to handle these small situations that life throws at me, especially since I'm about to be an intern but I don't know how to get it back.

Members don't see this ad.

I would contact your student health office, and be evaluated. We can't tell on the internet if this is a serious problem that needs help, or something that will just pass on it's own. But you want to be in 100% health when internship starts. Being inefficient and indecisive will be a huge problem in internship. Hence, get evaluated by a professional.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't really feel like I have anyone else I can talk to about this, but wanted to see if anyone on here went through anything similar.

I'm feeling like a ghost of my former self from before the match. I got so used to second-guessing every action I made during the match process that I am over-analyzing everything that happens to me and just generally feeling like I don't trust my own opinions anymore. I'm not sure how much of this is a byproduct of going through the match or just third & fourth years of medical school in general where I felt like everything I did was incorrect or just generally felt awkward most of the time. I was pretty happy with how my match turned out so don't think it's due to that.

For some more specific examples, today I struggled to make a simple decision scheduling a doctor's appointment because it conflicted with plans I had already made with someone else and just felt so indecisive about what to do. I called my sister to ask what she thought I should do. Additionally, I feel like I am really awkward around social interactions now where that wasn't a problem for me in the past. I don't feel that I am able to modulate my emotions as well as I used to and small things really get to me now. I've noticed this for at least the past few months now and am trying to correct it but haven't really been able to.

Has anyone else experienced these kinds of feelings, and if so did it go away as you got farther away from all the BS of the match? I feel like I should have so much more confidence in myself and be able to handle these small situations that life throws at me, especially since I'm about to be an intern but I don't know how to get it back.

Last edited: