Doing poorly on CARs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bisclove120

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking for some CARs advice - I've started doing practice sets and did pretty well on my first set. But haven't been doing great since. I finished a 9 passage set with twenty minutes to spare and was kind of lost on how to review questions in the remaining time, and then I didn't do well.

Any advice on being a speedy/inpatient test taker. I think I most always land on the "second to best" answer when I'm incorrect. Should I take more time on each passage or reread when I'm done?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Be more specific- which practice sets did you do? What were your scores?
I would recommend (1) reading the passage carefully, then (2) reading the first associated question, then (3) searching for the answer to that question in the passage if necessary. Repeat steps 2 + 3 with each of the remaining questions. I doubt you will have time to reread each passage.

I finished a 9 passage set with twenty minutes to spare... Should I take more time on each passage or reread when I'm done?

I'd take more time on each passage. You want to get really immersed in each one to get the feel of it, and answer the questions while you're in that zone. Read and absorb each word of the passage, then follow @pms_testosterone's advice: go one-by-one through the questions and refer back to the passage to pinpoint which part(s) of the passage supports your answer. In a 90-minute section with nine passages, I write out "P2 = 80 min left" etc. before I start, then I fine-tune as I hit each passage because some have fewer or more questions. But the idea is to take as much time as you can to get the answers right the first time through, because it's too hard to get back into the mood of a passage later. Giving yourself a timeline might help you recognize when you're rushing. That's how I do it, anyway, and fwiw, I've consistently scored high on CARS/verbal in all my practice and on other standardized tests.

I was kinda in OP's situation too (finished CARS too early) with 10+ min to spare. I am still fine-tuning my timing process.

I forced myself to spend more time in the passage in order to improve accuracy. In the Kaplan passages I did so far, many questions require you to read the menial detail in order to answer. I now have stretched myself to 10-12 mins per passage, and I am beginning to see some improvements over time.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you guys! This helps a lot. I definitely am not "immersing" into the passage as you guys are suggesting. I've usually been as good at English/reading standardized tests as I am at science/math (which hasn't been since SAT/APs so I may be out of practice) but I do remember having to practice.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hi all,

Looking for some CARs advice - I've started doing practice sets and did pretty well on my first set. But haven't been doing great since. I finished a 9 passage set with twenty minutes to spare and was kind of lost on how to review questions in the remaining time, and then I didn't do well.

Any advice on being a speedy/inpatient test taker. I think I most always land on the "second to best" answer when I'm incorrect. Should I take more time on each passage or reread when I'm done?

Thanks!
I might do a deeper analysis of wrong answers...are they of a particular type? I would also say if you're finishing passages with time to spare, you should definitely slow down a little, especially if you're consistently selecting the "second best" answer.