Doing a Critical Care Sub Internship next month - need suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

parcus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a FMS who will be doing a critical care sub-internship next month (40 days, approximately). I wonder what you guys think is the best way to learn the basics about critical care during this time. I am thinking about using Oxford Desk Reference Critical Care, but not sure if that's the best idea. Any suggestion would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I am a FMS who will be doing a critical care sub-internship next month (40 days, approximately). I wonder what you guys think is the best way to learn the basics about critical care during this time. I am thinking about using Oxford Desk Reference Critical Care, but not sure if that's the best idea. Any suggestion would be much appreciated!
As a med student, I took an eclectic approach. I really liked certain sections of the ICU Book. I would sometimes try to read the corresponding topic in Marik's book (prn) for comparison too, but that is probably too much. There's also a NEJM introduction to critical care series that I thought very good (at least the ones I read, e.g., sepsis and septic shock, circulatory shock, resus fluids). UpToDate on key topics too.

I believe if you know the main things like airway and vent management, hemodynamic monitoring, vasopressors, ARDS, sepsis, acid-base and electrolytes, etc. you should probably be good.

Reactions: 1 user
There are some pocket guides, but I honestly don't know how helpful they are.

This is a good book to have:
Amazon product

Ideally though, when you are assigned patients, read up on them as much as possible to show that you read about your patients and their pathophysiology. Any time there is a student in the PICU presenting their patient, if they say "I read about X and this is what I learned..." in a brief summation <5 minutes... you get bonus points. You are not expected to know the ins and outs of critical care, you are expected to show interest, motivation and a desire to learn.

Reactions: 1 users