Does your program allow you to take the NPTE prior to graduation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTstudent123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I attend a school in the midwest and at this time we are not allowed to take the NPTE on the April test date as we don't graduate until May.

I know myself and some of my classmates are motivated to find a job/travel position right after graduation and it would really be a setback to have to wait until the July date due to some states not offering temporary licenses.

Do your programs allow you to take the NPTE prior to graduation or not? What is the rationale behind this?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone!
I attend a school in the midwest and at this time we are not allowed to take the NPTE on the April test date as we don't graduate until May.

I know myself and some of my classmates are motivated to find a job/travel position right after graduation and it would really be a setback to have to wait until the July date due to some states not offering temporary licenses.

Do your programs allow you to take the NPTE prior to graduation or not? What is the rationale behind this?

Thank you!
Our program has considered allowing interns to take the JUL NPTE prior to an AUG graduation. We decided against it. While on one hand it would be good for graduates to leave to their first assignment/job with a license in hand, it would be unfortunate if a student failed the exam ahead of graduation. We would have eventually said that the student with an incomplete CPI was "entry level" when, in fact, they were not and the licensure results proved that for us. Moreover, it would have negated the remaining weeks of clinical education as important and send the wrong message. If a program length is XX months, then the program curriculum plan is stating that students require that much education in order to arrive at entry level. Granted, some students may be able to get there a bit sooner, while some require the entire time.

Our goal is that graduates pass the NPTE on their first attempt and our efforts include requiring them to complete the required didactic and clinical education plans, graduating, then taking the NPTE, in that order. I hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user