Does USMLE and residency as an IMG require license?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Studic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
License to practice in the country you graduate from?

Simple question, so definite answers are welcomed. :)

I'm asking this because although it takes 5 years to graduate from medical school (MBBS) in my country, it takes a further "internship" program of a year or more to actually get licensed to practice independently.

So can an IMG skip this program if they wanna do residency in the US?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends when you are actually considered to have graduated medical school. You need to be ECFMG certified to go on to residency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The same situation here, I've asked few people and I was told only the final diplomat certificate and your school transcript are the only papers needed in this regard but I found out that J1 visa require a certain form from our Ministry of health about your status (statement of need) and to be registered there you have to be liscenced (i.e. done with your internship). This can be an individual situation with my country but you should consider the papers needed for the visa as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
The same situation here, I've asked few people and I was told only the final diplomat certificate and your school transcript are the only papers needed in this regard but I found out that J1 visa require a certain form from our Ministry of health about your status (statement of need) and to be registered there you have to be liscenced (i.e. done with your internship). This can be an individual situation with my country but you should consider the papers needed for the visa as well.

Thanks. I see.

What about doing it through the other type of VISA?

Anyway, I guess it makes sense to do the internship as well since it would take more than a year for me to complete USMLE and go through with it.

Previously, I thought it would be faster to skip the internship, do US residency, and upon coming back to my country,take the local exam for doctors having license abroad.

Thanks. I see.

What about doing it through the other type of VISA?

Anyway, I guess it makes sense to do the internship as well since it would take more than a year for me to complete USMLE and go through with it.

Previously, I thought it would be faster to skip the internship, do US residency, and upon coming back to my country,take the local exam for doctors having license abroad.
From what I was adviced if you had a GC just get your diplomat and travel to the states, study there or do some research and get your ecfmg liscence ASAP to apply the year just after your YOG however since I don't have a GC, I didn't confirm that from other people as I'll most propably be stuck here to be eligible for the J1 visa. But if anyone can confirm it, abolutely go for it, fresh graduates are highly regarded in the match even with slighter higher than average scores.