Does Research Improve Residency Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WaterLogged

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am new to this site, so please forgive me if this has been addressed. I am an MSII Navy HPSP student and I was curious to know if doing research (either civilian or through Navy clerkship) really enhances one's chance of being accepted to a particular residency program (i.e. Emergency Medicine). If anyone has any input on this matter, it would be greatly appreciated.

~WaterLogged

Members don't see this ad.

Research helps.

http://nshs.med.navy.mil/gme/GME2FAQ.HTM#2

Q: I read in the BUMEDNOTE 1524 that GME applications are scored by three specialty committee members, one from each of the different branches of service. Then, these three scores are added up for a composite score. This really seems to put me at a disadvantage since two of the scoring members don’t even know me. How can I get the best possible score?

A: By submitting a very complete application package. Scoring by one member from each of the three Services is actually to your advantage since scoring will be based solely on what is in your GME application package and not on the "good ol' boy system! Internship End of Training Evaluations and/or your program directors letter of recommendations, as well as Fitness Reports also play a major role in the scoring process. Any letters of recommendation written on your behalf should reflect professional accomplishments as well as your performance as a physician and a naval officer. Additional points are awarded for research, and this could range from 1 to 4 extra points added to your composite score, depending on the amount of research and where it was published. Extra points are also awarded and added to your composite score for prior military service of 2 years or longer for non-Medical Corps active duty. Either commissioned or enlisted service qualifies for this bonus. So, be sure to include research and/or prior military service in your curriculum vitae, if applicable.