Does level of attractiveness influence admissions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

mitrieD

I'm not necessarily overweight but I'm also not in the best shape *shrugs*. Just curious because I rarely see overweight med students!

Members don't see this ad.

Pretty sure it has no bearing whatsoever, they're more worried about if you can handle the academics than what you look like, race, religion, sexual orientation etc. We have a few people in our class who would fall under obese for the record.

Also something I've noticed, a lot of fellow students including myself have gotten in a lot better shape since starting starting school last fall. For example I lost 15 pounds and put a solid 5 back on in muscle and have been getting a lot of compliments recently. It might be a combination of the good natured competitiveness we have seeping from academics into "how much can you bench bro?" Another factor is probably learning of all the health benefits that come with exercise and negatives of being overweight/obese. Plus it's nice to do something where you move around a bit after spending hours sitting in class or studying. The hardest part is starting out but once you get the ball rolling and make it a routine, it's becomes easy. You just need some good motivation to get you through that first month, in my case trying to impress a fellow female classmate haha.

Outside school might be a different story. How are you supposed to convince a patient to lose weight when you might be overweight yourself. It definitely helps to practice what you preach.

Reactions: 8 users
No your fitness level does not affect admission!

Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty sure it has no bearing whatsoever, they're more worried about if you can handle the academics than what you look like, race, religion, sexual orientation etc. We have a few people in our class who would fall under obese for the record.

Also something I've noticed, a lot of fellow students including myself have gotten in a lot better shape since starting starting school last fall. For example I lost 15 pounds and put a solid 5 back on in muscle and have been getting a lot of compliments recently. It might be a combination of the good natured competitiveness we have seeping from academics into "how much can you bench bro?" Another factor is probably learning of all the health benefits that come with exercise and negatives of being overweight/obese. Plus it's nice to do something where you move around a bit after spending hours sitting in class or studying. The hardest part is starting out but once you get the ball rolling and make it a routine, it's becomes easy. You just need some good motivation to get you through that first month, in my case trying to impress a fellow female classmate haha.

Outside school might be a different story. How are you supposed to convince a patient to lose weight when you might be overweight yourself. It definitely helps to practice what you preach.

Any tips on keeping a consistent workout schedule versus school load?

I know people will say "if you want it, you'll make time for it".

Would like to hear your personal experience with it though.

Well that's good to hear. I say I could lose a good 20 lbs myself and maybe I have time to lose that before class starts if I get in (not before interviews). I don't want to try to lose weight while in school with all of that other stress on top of me and being hungry all of the time haha. I'll just try to find a nice fitted suit for interviews!

No your fitness level does not affect admission!

I hope not lol

"All applicants must bench 100lbs. Add 50lbs per year finished."

"All applicants must deadlift 150% of body weight. Failure to meet standards will result in academic probation."

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not necessarily overweight but I'm also not in the best shape *shrugs*. Just curious because I rarely see overweight med students!
That's because they don't have time to eat or utilize basic survival skills.
"All applicants must bench 100lbs. Add 50lbs per year finished."

"All applicants must deadlift 150% of body weight. Failure to meet standards will result in academic probation."
Wait, you forgot to add "Must be able to squat maximum threshold, right before potential for ACL rupture, otherwise ineligible to sit for APMLE"

I will play devil's advocate and say there's no way to say looks will not affect someone's first impression, which is very important. However, you will not be penalized for your looks and certainly not assessed based on looks. I think being happy, energetic, and enthusiastic are the most important.

Reactions: 4 users
I mean I'm morbidly obese by the clinical bmi definition. I got accepted to all the schools so far with scholarships. I guess it's more towards how you carry yourself. If you have cheese doodle crumbs on your tie or dress that's gross. I wrestled in the 285lb class, can't shop in AE, Hollister or banana republic. Trust me, there are plenty of pudgy medical students.

no. If it did.. I would've got accepted at every school I interviewed at.

Reactions: 7 users
I will play devil's advocate and say there's no way to say looks will not affect someone's first impression, which is very important. However, you will not be penalized for your looks and certainly not assessed based on looks. I think being happy, energetic, and enthusiastic are the most important.

People may not like to admit it but "presentation" really plays a part sometimes. How you're dressed, your grooming, how you smell,

I mean I'm morbidly obese by the clinical bmi definition. I got accepted to all the schools so far with scholarships. I guess it's more towards how you carry yourself. If you have cheese doodle crumbs on your tie or dress that's gross. I wrestled in the 285lb class, can't shop in AE, Hollister or banana republic. Trust me, there are plenty of pudgy medical students.

Well thanks for the input!

no. If it did.. I would've got accepted at every school I interviewed at.

This guy.... I need his confidence

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
lmfaooooooooooo this thread

I cant speak for other schools but everyone at Kent state was hot

Reactions: 1 user

Level of attractiveness influence many facets of life (to a point), all things being equal, the more attractive applicant likely has the advantage however regardless of attractiveness, I think its important to maximize what you have (be well groomed, stylish, and confident)...

Level of attractiveness influence many facets of life (to a point), all things being equal, the more attractive applicant likely has the advantage however regardless of attractiveness, I think its important to maximize what you have (be well groomed, stylish, and confident)...

Bout to maximize these home baked cookies.

Obviously not if they decided to accept me ;).

I was accepted to AZPOD and I looked like Jabba the Hutt compared to the other students. Granted, the hottest students were all in physical therapy, the pod students at AZPOD were prolly the most modest looking. Not bad looking by any stretch of the imagination, just not 8s and 9s like the physics Therapy or optometry students. More like 5s and 6s.

If I had to rank the programs in order of attractive people to least attractive:

-Physical Therapy
-Speech Therapy (or whatever all those women were interviewing for)
-optometry
-Dental
-Pharmacy
-Osteopathic
-podiatry
-masters students

Reactions: 2 users
I wore a Richard Nixon face mask and I think it offset my low MCAT

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I was accepted to AZPOD and I looked like Jabba the Hutt compared to the other students. Granted, the hottest students were all in physical therapy, the pod students at AZPOD were prolly the most modest looking. Not bad looking by any stretch of the imagination, just not 8s and 9s like the physics Therapy or optometry students. More like 5s and 6s.

If I had to rank the programs in order of attractive people to least attractive:

-Physical Therapy
-optometry
-Dental
-Pharmacy
-Osteopathic
-podiatry
-masters students

I think some of us here can use a little confidence boost ... and your ranking of attractiveness based on fields is lol

-Physical Therapy
-optometry
-Dental
-Pharmacy
-Osteopathic
-podiatry
-masters students

I think You're on to something, potnah.

even in undergrad there's an attraction trend with majors.

If I remember correctly, nursing girls were usually very high up the table

Those traits you mentioned are all included in the attraction package. Confidence helps too. So you're definitely right. Maximize on your strong areas!

And yeah, being good looking certainly does help. How you carry yourself helps too.

I'll say this, being on the skinny side as a dude in the OR makes people take you less seriously unfortunately.

Dang seriously?
Yes. They need bulky dudes to move heavier patients. If you don't look strong it's a bit emasculating to be told to not worry about helping with the patient