Does it matter what Pharmacy school you attend?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmypharm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to two pharmacy schools. One has a 40k tuition(good area, hour and a half away from home with networking opportunities) and the other is 30k(rural area where I would want to move out of after graduation) - my question is, does it really matter which school you choose? The pharmacists I have worked with in retail say it does not matter so long as you graduate and become licensed. Is this true and what is your opinion? Is the extra 10k worth it or not? Considering I do want to work in clinical pharmacy or for a health agency/institute after graduation.

Members don't see this ad.

I have been accepted to two pharmacy schools. One has a 40k tuition(good area, hour and a half away from home with networking opportunities) and the other is 30k(rural area where I would want to move out of after graduation) - my question is, does it really matter which school you choose? The pharmacists I have worked with in retail say it does not matter so long as you graduate and become licensed. Is this true and what is your opinion? Is the extra 10k worth it or not? Considering I do want to work in clinical pharmacy or for a health agency/institute after graduation.

If you are going to go the retail route, it does not really matter which school you choose. However, if you work clinical and health agency or regulatory affairs or industry, .... it does matter (sort of). What matters most if the type of rotations you do in your final year of pharmacy school. For example, my school is MCPHS University Boston in the heart of Boston. Students from our school do rotations at hospitals such as Mass General, Beth Israel Deaconness, Dana-Farber Cancer, Joslins Diabetes, Brigham and Women's.... etc. These hospitals are the BIG names, which means you can compete with other people who go to schools who also have top hospitals and rotations. Other places that I know have a strong clinical reputation would be like Philadelphia, PA. Their hospitals are some of the strongest in the nation and thus they have really good rotations. San Francisco-Bay Area-San Jose, CA and Los Angeles metro, CA is another example.

My advice to you is: If you want to do clinical pharmacy or industry or whatever... go to the school that is in the big city unless the rural school has connections into strong hospitals/strong rotations. Reach out to current students and ask about their rotation sites.

... Certain schools also have a reputation of being a retail mill while others have the reputation of being more clinical. I come from a retail mill school, but I did whatever I could to get clinical experience and research and stuff, which is why I ended up in the clinical route.

This has nearly been discussed to death.
Retail: mostly likely no
Hospital: Yes to an extent
Industry: Yes and no. Your connections are better
I don't think there's such as a thing as a retail mill pharmacy school since most pharmacy positions are retail. But some schools have better opportunities than others. Last year, 46% of graduates at my school got a residency, 36% went into retail, 5% got fellowships, and the rest either went to get a masters or haven't gotten a position (17%). I would highly suggest you do research on your school further than simply looking at location. It's important, but the outcomes of students tell a lot more than what is given to you during your interviews and orientation.
I know tuition is important. If you do retail, then I'd just go to the cheapest place I can snag that's accredited. If you do hospital, a good reputable school will get you places, but deciding between #5 vs #25 on the "ranking system" is marginally different.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you are going to go the retail route, it does not really matter which school you choose. However, if you work clinical and health agency or regulatory affairs or industry, .... it does matter (sort of). What matters most if the type of rotations you do in your final year of pharmacy school. For example, my school is MCPHS University Boston in the heart of Boston. Students from our school do rotations at hospitals such as Mass General, Beth Israel Deaconness, Dana-Farber Cancer, Joslins Diabetes, Brigham and Women's.... etc. These hospitals are the BIG names, which means you can compete with other people who go to schools who also have top hospitals and rotations. Other places that I know have a strong clinical reputation would be like Philadelphia, PA. Their hospitals are some of the strongest in the nation and thus they have really good rotations. San Francisco-Bay Area-San Jose, CA and Los Angeles metro, CA is another example.

My advice to you is: If you want to do clinical pharmacy or industry or whatever... go to the school that is in the big city unless the rural school has connections into strong hospitals/strong rotations. Reach out to current students and ask about their rotation sites.

... Certain schools also have a reputation of being a retail mill while others have the reputation of being more clinical. I come from a retail mill school, but I did whatever I could to get clinical experience and research and stuff, which is why I ended up in the clinical route.

Your school has a terrible rep, btw.

To OP, go to the cheapest school you can.

Your school has a terrible rep, btw.

To OP, go to the cheapest school you can.
Oh I know it does haha, but I still made it through and took advantage of the resources around me. The top half of the class did really well and we had students matching at places like USC, UVirginia, UMaryland, etc. It goes to show you can come from a school with a bad rep, but still succeed and compete against those from top schools.

Oh I know it does haha, but I still made it through and took advantage of the resources around me. The top half of the class did really well and we had students matching at places like USC, UVirginia, UMaryland, etc. It goes to show you can come from a school with a bad rep, but still succeed and compete against those from top schools.

That was more my point too (and not ragging on you)...that rep for pharm doesn't mean that much, most of the time at least. What's important is limiting post grad debt as much as possible.

MCPHS has a TERRIBLE REP. Everyone knows it, regardless of what campus you go to.

Anyway, in response to the OP, yes it matters if you are doing a residency and so forth. Most residency pharmacists from my state attended the top schools in said state. I hardly see any of the mill pharmacy schools produce top tier residents, except a select few who are already bright as it is.

Half of the class is an exaggeration. More like 5-10 people do something that actually requires PGY-1/PGY-2 like solid organ transplantation. These students would have been successful anywhere else and arguably the school held them back in regard to opportunities versus reputable programs.

"Typically" 20-30 people match. Otherwise a lot of people are just working retail to pay off 6x30000 in tuition plus any other expenses. If any so-called pharmacy "thought leaders" emerge out of MCPHS that would be the first time I've heard of it.

Half of the class is an exaggeration. More like 5-10 people do something that actually requires PGY-1/PGY-2 like solid organ transplantation. These students would have been successful anywhere else and arguably the school held them back in regard to opportunities versus reputable programs.

"Typically" 20-30 people match. Otherwise a lot of people are just working retail to pay off 6x30000 in tuition plus any other expenses. If any so-called pharmacy "thought leaders" emerge out of MCPHS that would be the first time I've heard of it.

No worries, and I guess it depends on the class. We had some really strong students, although knowing that the school does have a bad rep. Honestly though, youre right I wouldve been better off at another school. The only reason why I chose MCP over some of the others is because of the 6 year program and the tuition was so cheap. I just hope it makes sense though that you can come from a bad rep school, still get strong rotations, and make great success with what you have. :)

Thats the whole point of me posting actually haha. That you make your own success.

Reactions: 1 users