Does a PD's LOR count as a Chairman's LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Americanbum

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see a lot of places have a chairman's LOR as a requirement. I was wondering if a PD's LOR can count instead or do I have to go try to get a meeting with the chairman who I have never met to get an LOR(which might be hard to do till July end as I am in an away).

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on what specialty. In Pediatrics, they usually want someone from the department leadership--this could be your clerkship director, program director, or chair. In Internal Medicine, I understand it's essentially required to have a chairman's letter, even if you have never worked with the person.

In Internal Medicine, I understand it's essentially required to have a chairman's letter, even if you have never worked with the person.

There is no clear standardization, but in general this is incorrect. In IM, the "chair" letter is also a standardized dept letter. It is almost never actually written by the chair, although sometimes the chair signs them all. Some Chairs request a meeting with each student, and some of that interview is inserted into the letter. It's basically a mini-MSPE, with only the IM rotations discussed in it. If you contact your clerkship director, they will know what to do.

I have a question in this regard as well,while In the US A Chairman heads a department right?? I am confused about the term program Director, while here where I am from the Person that oversees the training program is called Training Officer. So, does this mean Program Director = Training Officer? Since, I am requesting my current Chairman and Training Officer for LORs.

I have a question in this regard as well,while In the US A Chairman heads a department right?? I am confused about the term program Director, while here where I am from the Person that oversees the training program is called Training Officer. So, does this mean Program Director = Training Officer? Since, I am requesting my current Chairman and Training Officer for LORs.

The program director is the faculty member responsible for running the program. They are assisted by a program coordinator (non-physician staff), and associate program directors who are responsible for particular aspects of the program (for instance, in my program, we have an associate program director of education, one of community pediatrics, one for subspecialty peds, etc).

The chairman is the person responsible for all the faculty in the department.

The program director is the faculty member responsible for running the program. They are assisted by a program coordinator (non-physician staff), and associate program directors who are responsible for particular aspects of the program (for instance, in my program, we have an associate program director of education, one of community pediatrics, one for subspecialty peds, etc).

The chairman is the person responsible for all the faculty in the department.

That is the thing, in my institution which is non-US, Training officer is a Physician and a Board Certified Physician (a Diplomate or a Fellow in their respective societies), A training officer is the one member of the faculty that is running the program. And our chairmain is the head of the whole department the one that over looks the whole program training wise and all the faculty of the department. So, I guess in this term they are the same thing.