*DOCTORAL APPLICANTS READ FIRST* Helpful Threads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Therapist4Chnge

Neuropsych Ninja
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ALL posts about your statistics, chances of getting into a program, and or related topics MUST be posted in the WAMC: What are my chances thread. DO NOT make your own thread.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Data on the APPIC Internship Match in Psychology:
https://www.appic.org/Internships/Match/Match-Statistics

A relatively recent compilation of admissions rates for accredited doctoral programs:
http://mitch.web.unc.edu/files/2013/10/AdmissionsRates.pdf

APA Comparison of Doctoral Degrees in Psychology (i.e., Ph.D. vs. Psy.D.)
Doctoral degrees in psychology: How are they different, or not so different?

(Also note that the majority of individuals obtaining a Ph.D. go on to clinically-focused careers)

*Updated 02/21/19*
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Portable Mentor*
Psychology Graduate School * (external link)
APA Frequently Asked Questions About Graduate School in Psychology *(external link)
Before You Apply to Graduate Programs in Psychology *(external link)

*Updated 02/21/19*
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Useful Application Threads:
Ph.D./Psy.D. comparison
APA-accredited Clinical/Counseling PhD/PsyD programs on Google Maps:
Admissions Stats: The Big Picture--Clinical, Counseling, & School
Grad school survival guide (a.k.a. How to not live in a box)
Advice From A Professor For Applicants To Ph.D. Programs
Insider's Guide to Clinical/Counseling Psychology Thread
Housing Resources and Data
Kiss of Death in the Graduate School Application Process (external Link)
Mitch's Uncensored Advice for Applying to Graduate School in Clinical Psychology (external link)

Useful Career Threads: (Slight updated 02/21/19)
Describe Your Typical Day in Practice
Would You Do It Over Again?
Do You Enjoy The Work That You Do?
How is it the field of counseling/clinical psychology looking and how happy are psychologists?

The idea is that these threads can still be found and bumped as needed, but non-applicant threads are not lost amongst the many applicant specific threads. If there are other general applicant threads that you think will be helpful, post a link to here, and I may add it to the list. To keep things neat, I may delete suggestions after they are reviewed so that the thread is kept informational and doesn't get off track on discussion of any one topic. -t4c

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Here is some information all students should know. Clinical psychology is probably the most difficult graduate program in terms of how long the training takes and how many requirements you must pass (it will take you 8 years after college to become a licensed psychologist)

1) After completing your bachelor's degree, a clinical psychology PhD or PsyD will take you an additional 5-7 years of full-time graduate study.

2) If your program is not funded, this may cost you $200,000 in loans.

3) While there is no longer a significant internship imbalance, it is still strongly encouraged to look at the APA MATCH RATES for each program before you apply. Ideally, they should be close to 100%

4) If you land a post-doc AFTER graduating, this will pay you around $50,000 on the high end.

5) After you graduate, you may still need 3,000 hours (this includes internship hours) to be licensed, depending on the state. You will need to take a standardized national exam and some states have further regulations, such as an oral exam and case formulation, which may have very low passing rates. This can delay your ability to practice after you graduate for several years!

6) For more information on salaries in psychology, see the APA's salary survey here: 2015 Salaries in Psychology.

Mod Note: Edited to update and clarify some information.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum an don't know anything about psychology. I have Bachelor in Arts from international Institute (out of the US) and decided to enroll in online school and study psychology and become important:)

I live in Los Angeles and called to the California board and a few online universities. To be honest, I still don't know what program will be the best to get in psychology that can make me doctor. I know a few people that are Psy.D ad A few Ph.D. I don't know which is better.

I contacted CAPELLA University and enrolled in MS in Mental Health Counseling which is a 4 year program. Not sure why a master must be 4 years but the recruiter said if I want to open my own firm and practice after getting california state board license I have to study this program, even though they have 2 years master program, and will not allow me to practice and open firm after graduation. so, here is the question?

I want to get my doctoral degree and practice in the shortest time and don't know if this program will end up to that or no? please advise!

Please go through and read these forums. Online degrees are a waste of time and money and generally will not qualify you to get licensure. Don't waste your money.

Doctoral applicants,

I have a question. I heard that you can only hold one offer at a time?? Is this true? That's a little scary...

Doctoral applicants,

I have a question. I heard that you can only hold one offer at a time?? Is this true? That's a little scary...

This website discusses it a little:

Graduate Areas of Study | Psychology

I think the general rule of thumb is not to hold more than two at once.

Mod Note: Edited to adjust the link so that it is now functional.

From another thread....

Hi all,

FYI, the following volume has now been made available FOR FREE to all students. Just visit The Portable Mentor | SpringerLink while on a computer connected to the server of any major university. Most all universities have a subscription to Springer's content which lets students download the whole volume for free. Enjoy!

The Portable Mentor, Second Edition
Expert Guide to a Successful Career in Psychology
Editor: Mitchell J. Prinstein

Part I Applying to Graduate School

1 Before you Apply to Graduate Programs in Psychology: Knowing When You’re Ready, and Gaining
Postbaccalaureate Experiences
Casey D. Calhoun and Mitchell J. Prinstein

2 Deciding to Apply and Successfully Gaining Admission to Graduate Schools in Psychology
Mitchell J. Prinstein, Sophie C. Choukas-Bradley, and Karen Guan

Part II Beginning your Career

3 The Whys and Hows of the Scientific Path in Applied Psychology
Steven C. Hayes and Nicholas M. Berens

4 Advancing Understanding of Cultural Competence, Cultural Sensitivity, and the Effects of Cultural
Incompetence
Joseph E. Trimble

5 Developing and Practicing Ethics
Kenneth S. Pope

6 Balancing Career and Family
Paula J. Caplan

7 Psychologist and Parent: Advice from Professionals in Different Career Tracks
Vicki DiLillo, Andrea Hussong, Barbara Kamholz, and Elizabeth Richardson

Part III Your Research/Academic Career

8 Writing a Literature Review
Roy F. Baumeister

9 Presenting Your Research
Lindsey L. Cohen, Laurie Greco, and Sarah Martin

10 Publishing Your Research
Alan E. Kazdin

11 How to Write an Effective Journal Article Review
Dennis Drotar, Yelena P. Wu, and Jennifer M. Rohan

12 Recommendations for Teaching Psychology
William C. Rando and Leonid Rozenblit

Part IV Your Career as a Practitioner

13 Gaining Clinical Experience In and After Graduate School
Alan D. Katell and Marcy C. Adler

14 Training to Begin a Private Practice
Jeffrey E. Barnett and Elizabeth Musewicz

15 Navigating the Internship Application Process
Mitchell J. Prinstein

16 Obtaining a License to Practice Psychology
Corey J. Habben

17 Specialty Certi fi cation in Professional Psychology
Robert D. Hill and Ted Packard

18 Becoming a Competent and Ethical Clinical Supervisor
Erica H. Wise and Ellen E. Fitzsimmons-Craft

Part V Your Professional Service Career

19 Getting Involved in Professional Organizations: A Gateway to Career Advancement
Daniel Dodgen, Raymond D. Fowler, and Carol Williams-Nickelson

20 Advocacy: Advancing Psychology and Public Well-Being
Christopher W. Loftis

21 Public Education of Psychology: An Interview with Philip G. Zimbardo, Ph.D.
Philip G. Zimbardo

22 Strategies for Successful Interactions with the News Media
Rhea K. Farberman

Part VI Your Career After Graduate School

23 Recommendations for a Postdoctoral Fellowship
Amy F. Sato, Valerie Simon, Elissa Jelalian, and Anthony Spirito

24 Applying for NIH Grants
C.W. Lejuez, Elizabeth K. Reynolds, Will M. Aklin, and Christopher Frueh

25 The Job Search
Robert J. Sternberg

26 Employment and Trends in Psychology
Jessica L. Kohout and William E. Pate II