Doctor removed from United Airlines had opioid RX'ing issues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drusso

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
Reaction score
http://www.state.ky.us/agencies/kbml/finalorders/22439.pdf

http://nypost.com/2017/04/11/doctor-dragged-off-flight-convicted-of-trading-drugs-for-sex/

"Dao’s own medical license was suspended in 2003 following his arrest on charges including unlawful prescribing and trafficking in a controlled substance. He was accused of providing prescriptions for Vicodin and other narcotics to a former patient he later hired as his office manger, who was identified in news reports at the time as Brian Case."

Members don't see this ad.

And has nothing to do with his being forcibly removed from the plane.

Plays right in to United's goals to distract and divert from what happened.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
United is a piece of Sh''

Members don't see this ad :)
the dude looks to be an unsavory character, but WTF, United?

Just offer more money and someone will volunteer.

Reactions: 1 users
actually, the nypost was incorrectly reported. the doc was mis-taken with another doc with the same English name.

And has nothing to do with his being forcibly removed from the plane.

Plays right in to United's goals to distract and divert from what happened.

There's an A$$hole MD/DO phenotype: Moves around between many jobs; personality disorder; regarded by others as "difficult," "not a team player," aggressive, boundary issues, RX issues, doesn't maintain connected relationships in community, P-G scores in the toilet, etc.

He is a Professional poker player

He just hit the lotto. He never needs to work another day in his life. He can play poker on the house now.

Reactions: 3 users
Good acting job.... next time authorities ask me to do anything I'll make sure to resist and if they use force, kick and scream and hopefully I'll get hurt in the process. Set for life

Maybe he will get free baggage fees for life

Members don't see this ad :)
Good acting job.... next time authorities ask me to do anything I'll make sure to resist and if they use force, kick and scream and hopefully I'll get hurt in the process. Set for life

com'on, at age of 69, you think he had planned and asked for all this just so he can be set for "life"? all that bleeding, being knocked out, and most of all, being humiliated like that?

Reactions: 1 user
Not flying united unless absolutely necessary. Doctor or not. Not cool to treat anyone like that. #lostmybuisness
#uniteagainstunited

I don't know if he's gonna get that much money here... I think United just told the police to remove him. He resisted, and they did it by force. The police are the ones who injured him, not United. Also, the damages - "he will need reconstructive surgery" and he's got a "concussion" seem pretty weak to me. He will probably get reimbursed for a crappy, unnecessary nose job, no doubt he will try to get reimbursed for a "TBI" suffered from bumping into an arm rest.

There must be a clause somewhere that says an airline can remove a passenger at the sole discretion of the captain... If a patient came to our office with an appointment and then something came up that we deemed more important, we have the right to bump the patient. I'm not saying it's good business but it's not the patient's "right" to be served by us. If the patient refuses to leave our office, we can call the police. It's our business and it's our discretion.

I don't know about the legal aspects but I fully agree United looks like **** here and I don't want to fly them either.

1. it wasn't police that removed him. it was airport security (specifically Chicago Aviation Department). they are not "allowed" to forcibly take out passengers. they are supposed to contain. only the police can forcibly remove passengers.

2. one of the "guys" that removed him was illegally wearing a shirt that said "Police" on it. United passenger fiasco exposes wider security concerns at O'Hare

3. United was "nice enough" to send out an email to passengers offering them $500 if they wouldn't sue United. United offers to compensate passengers on Flight 3411

4. the flight wasn't actually overbooked, unlike the initial report from United.

How do you get a concussion without hitting your head?

broken nose, lost 2 teeth, and went unconscious. That's a concussion. He states that he has no recollection of running back on the plane bleeding. There is video evidence to warrant both civil and criminal action against the aviation police.

United will have it's own lawsuit regarding removing paid passengers after they've been boarded and seated. This was not an oversold situation.
Dorf on Law: United Airlines' Own Contract Denied it any Right to Remove Passenger

I don't know if he's gonna get that much money here... I think United just told the police to remove him. He resisted, and they did it by force. The police are the ones who injured him, not United. Also, the damages - "he will need reconstructive surgery" and he's got a "concussion" seem pretty weak to me. He will probably get reimbursed for a crappy, unnecessary nose job, no doubt he will try to get reimbursed for a "TBI" suffered from bumping into an arm rest.

There must be a clause somewhere that says an airline can remove a passenger at the sole discretion of the captain... If a patient came to our office with an appointment and then something came up that we deemed more important, we have the right to bump the patient. I'm not saying it's good business but it's not the patient's "right" to be served by us. If the patient refuses to leave our office, we can call the police. It's our business and it's our discretion.

I don't know about the legal aspects but I fully agree United looks like **** here and I don't want to fly them either.

the patients dont pay us BEFORE we see them. the dude bought a ticket. this should at least reserve him the right to be on the plane if there is no safety issue. i understand that stuff comes up (crew needs to get somewhere, emergencies, VIPs) -- but united needed to offer more money to deplane. somebody would have taken the bait

^United needed to rent a car for their employees to make a 4 hour drive (at least that's my limited understanding as to what could have happened instead of this mess).

I was just shocked that this guy said, "I'm a doctor, I have patients scheduled for tomorrow" and it didn't mean any thing to the airport cops. That's when I realized that being doctor doesn't mean much any more.

the patients dont pay us BEFORE we see them. the dude bought a ticket. this should at least reserve him the right to be on the plane if there is no safety issue. i understand that stuff comes up (crew needs to get somewhere, emergencies, VIPs) -- but united needed to offer more money to deplane. somebody would have taken the bait
I totally agree the right thing for United was to up the ante until it works. Their decision seems completely outrageous on its face. But when police or airport security tells you to GTFU or places you under arrest, you do so and then you call Saul. Whether a patient pays before or after our services, if I want them gone, they have to go, and then the civil suit/debates can follow, along with the damage to my reputation. I'm no lawyer but that's what I think...

I don't think United did the right thing. They should've offered up more money until someone volunteered to deplane. However, on every ticket we purchase, it does say in fine print that the airline reserves the right to not serve us. If he started acting erratic and disruptive, they then had every right to remove him. I mean who starts screaming like a little spoiled toddler when asked to leave a plane? I assume everyone on this forum would listen to authority. Plus he's the one who injured himself by feigning complete loss of consciousness as they were attempting to pull him from his seat. He consciously and willfully went completely limp as they attempted to deplane him causing him to hit the arm rest and floor. I liken it to a flop in soccer

Soccer floppers don't bleed from their mouth...

Imagine if you were told you could not make an entire week of your schedule, because of fake overbooking. Imagine if you were worried that your boss would fire you for missing an entire week of work.

Would you meekly get up and disembark if you thought your job was on the line?

That was his situation.

FYI while his past should not be at issue at all, at least in 2014, he prescribed zero opioids to Medicare patients.

Addendum the other thing you will note, when u watch the video, is that he is actively screaming and resisting being pulled out... until they get him in the aisle, and they just drag him out. That's a sudden and huge change in demeanor and resistance... i.e. A TBI...

Last edited: