Do you plan on becoming a health care advocate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulDoc91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard this question used in interviews before...I'm not entirely sure what it means from a physician stand point. Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard this question used in interviews before...I'm not entirely sure what it means from a physician stand point. Any ideas?

I presume it just means being a advocate for people to be healthy... Not being snarky.

Essentially preemptive medicine, dietary teaching, helping the community to improve knowledge of health related stuff.

I would think wanting to be a doc would make the default answer yes. :cool:

The Power of a Health Care Advocate

"The complexity of the health care system has given rise to a new professional: the patient advocate. This person is often a nurse, social worker, geriatric care manager or other health care professional who can help you navigate the health care system, including dealing with clinicians, understanding your condition and treatment options, and even helping with health insurance issues. Patient advocates generally charge about $125 an hour, according to Elisabeth Schuler Russell, a health care consultant."

Looks like it's reserved for the elderly when needing a second opinion about proper treatment and where to go. I probably would have no idea if I hadn't looked this up, but I mean my default answer without background knowledge would be yes. I guess they're trying to quiz you on terminology? By default I guess you're a healthcare advocate for your patients because you're usually the first medical opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
The Power of a Health Care Advocate

"The complexity of the health care system has given rise to a new professional: the patient advocate. This person is often a nurse, social worker, geriatric care manager or other health care professional who can help you navigate the health care system, including dealing with clinicians, understanding your condition and treatment options, and even helping with health insurance issues. Patient advocates generally charge about $125 an hour, according to Elisabeth Schuler Russell, a health care consultant."

Looks like it's reserved for the elderly when needing a second opinion about proper treatment and where to go. I probably would have no idea if I hadn't looked this up, but I mean my default answer without background knowledge would be yes. I guess they're trying to quiz you on terminology? By default I guess you're a healthcare advocate for your patients because you're usually the first medical opinion.

$125/hr to help someone navigate te health system? Geeze, that's robbery. Maybe the correct answer is no lol

Edit: I cut the first part of my msg out, it said: I actually was real unfamiliar with this term before starting this process too. Is it a relatively new term or one that is just being used mainstream now? I've only heard it used at a clinic where we help patients apply for reduced pharmaceutical prices

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Has a physician ever been an advocate for you? Or have you seen a physician be an advocate for others? I guess a question to ask is, what is an advocate?

I think many people go into a clinic and they are very vulnerable. Sometimes, even just one kind conversation makes all the difference. It's happened to me before..