do you get paid as PGY4 or PGY7?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nomorelaziness

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm pulm critical fellow applying for sleep programs; I heard that some programs will only pay you as PGY4 regardless of your years in training. does anyone know more information about this? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I'm pulm critical fellow applying for sleep programs; I heard that some programs will only pay you as PGY4 regardless of your years in training. does anyone know more information about this? thanks

Some will pay more as they see you as higher, some won't care. Depends on the institutional contract.

It will depend on the institution as well as what the "home" program for the fellowship is. For example if it's run out of neurology you may be paid as a PGY5 as they would assume a base 4 year neurology residency. This information is probably best asked directly of the GME office at the institutions you're considering. The actual monetary difference may be relatively minimal since it is only a one year fellowship. More important will be any restrictions of moonlighting that you may wish to undertake as a fully BE/BC pulmonologist.

Reactions: 1 users