DO What are my chances? 3.24 cGPA/3.1 sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

turkeyslice

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
MCAT 515, NJ resident.

I'm looking mainly at RowanSOM and NYIT because I'd prefer to either be in an urban-ish environment or close to home.

3 years of clinical research with 2, possibly 3 publications. Not first author, though I did write like 99% of the paper. Research destroyed my grades, got a few C's, bunch of B's, few A's, but I'm out of it now and doing much better.

300 hrs volunteering, I plan to get some shadowing done during my gap year, and I'm getting some clinical hours (?) from scribing during my gap year, hoping to throw in some hours working as an EMT.

I'm considering taking postbac classes to bump my GPA up a bit more, but not sure about it.

Members don't see this ad.

Is there an upward GPA trend? That could help. Overall I think you're a decent candidate for DO school. I wouldn't aim on just applying to 2 schools and hoping to get into them, especially with your GPA. A given DO school's acceptance rate is usually <7%. Make sure to apply broadly.

Reactions: 1 user
Is there an upward GPA trend? That could help. Overall I think you're a decent candidate for DO school. I wouldn't aim on just applying to 2 schools and hoping to get into them, especially with your GPA. A given DO school's acceptance rate is usually <7%. Make sure to apply broadly.

Yes, I got a 3.7, 3.64 in both semesters of my senior year. I'd hoped for a stronger trend, but things didn't go as well as planned second semester. This probably isn't a very comprehensive list since I just started looking around and won't be applying til next year, but if you think any other schools would be a good fit, I'd appreciate it! I'm looking for schools that have good clinical rotations but honestly have no idea where to look for that kind of info, apart from searching the forums lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great MCAT. My GPA and MCAT are a little bit lower and was given the following list. You'll probably be competitive at some additional schools given your higher GPA and excellent MCAT.

ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LUCOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
UIWSOM
NYIT-Arkansas
RVU-Utah

Here's a list with more "urban" schools to consider.

NSUCOM
KCUMB
DMU - it's super close to the city itself
Western
AZCOM
CCOM
PCOM
Touro NY

Status
Not open for further replies.