Do top tier pathology residencies take osteopathic medical students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not really. My friends who took junior instructor gigs in general surgery make about $150,000 out of training, and I assure your their patient load, call schedule and case mix are bottom-of-the-barrel and much worse than a newly-minted pathologist would enjoy. And I have a very good friend who took an attending job in cardiology a MGH right out of training (HMS med school, MGH IM, MGH cards); he makes $90K.

That is depressing. Why on earth did your friend take this job when he could pull down 3-4X that in private practice? Are people that afraid of living west of the Mississippi River that they accept **** pay to stay on the east coast? So long as institutions (in all specialties) can find quality applicants willing to take jobs at such low salaries, there is no market pressure for the salaries to come up. The NYC ME's office has posted ads in the last few years starting well under 150K, which is very low in the context of NYC/Manhattan CoL index.

Members don't see this ad.

Why? Because he wanted to be an attending at MGH. If he didn't take that $90K job, 300 other people would have.

Why? Because he wanted to be an attending at MGH. If he didn't take that $90K job, 300 other people would have.
Yes, that is exactly my point. Not just what I highlighted, but the whole thing actually. Why are pathologists lining up to take poorly paying jobs anywhere? If it's because a few years at MGH is a ticket to well-paying private practice, then I get that, but if it's a long-term plan for someone, to take a low paying job for the prestige associated with a place like MGH, that just flies in the face of conventional economic principles and is not good for the overall job market. Make academic places pay market value for excellent pathologists... that's my argument.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suspect that's it. A few solid years working for a tradesman's wage at MGH buys you a sweet private practice job or gets you an Associate Professorship elsewhere.

Indeed. The Harvard name is worth more than 1mil in the long run.

Yeah, but wouldn't going to med school, residency, and fellowship from Harvard be good enough to land that high-paying private practice gig without sweating it out a few years as an assistant prof making $90K? Plenty of other well paid cardiologists do that straight out of training who didn't go to Harvard...

Last edited:
Following up on this post, do top-tier fellowships in pathology (particularly forensic pathology) take DO physicians?

Reactions: 1 user
Doesn't seem like Stanford has been that friendly in the past four years...

Education - Residents and Clinical Fellows - Pathology - Stanford University School of Medicine

Dang, girlfriend...you went to med school in Europe!!! :wideyed: You must be....

HOT%20TO%20TROT%20NEW%20FINAL%20LOGO.jpg

Just checked that roster again, there is a fair number of DO and US IMG in there!

I am glad to see even the best became more enlightened, or did they simply run out of AMGs to rank?