DO students with organ systems based STEP 1 prep.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DetectiveAlonzo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
SDN family. My loves. My peeps. My broheems.

Peep this.

Our program has already ran through all of neuro, cardio, and MSK and will be done with renal and GI in M1 before summer begins.

Gonna take 2 weeks off after school ends to hit up Vegas and gamble it up and hopefully win some money to pay deese loans off $$$ (not really... just got a nice wad of birthday money saved up for a grand time at the craps table!)

Leaves me about ~12-13 weeks (I think) to run through this material with FA, Pathoma, USMLE RX, and the Kaplan Qbank and the Kaplan videos.

My question is, how many fellow DO/MD students with an organ-based system did this and how much did it help?

I know it probably sounds sad or trollish, but in all honesty, I actually have nothing planned for summer. Literally nothing but going to the gym and the occasional video game binge on the weekends. Oh.. and eating amazing home-cooked food for the first time in a while.

Before I get the "live your life", and "don't study" comments.. I actually have nothing else.

*** This is where the thread get's dramatic... cue sad violin music and strings ***

I know. Lol It's pretty sad but I have lost contact with friends/acquaintances as they all moved away, got married, and/or just want to bang chicks and get drunk all the time. Not the life for me anymore.

I don't have a girlfriend (after dealing with a few bad experiences.. I just don't have the time or desire to look or date).

My performance during first year so far has been ~ average I'd say (maybe a percentage or two above it).

I was above average first half of the year and then right around and below average in a few courses the second half of the year before I discovered that I shouldn't just stare at powerpoints all day and actually use FA, Pathoma, and as many questions I could find on the net and in books (and **** anatomy practicals worth (10-20% of our grade in certain blocks...).

This could change as we do have a couple blocks left for M1 (hopefully for the better).

Nice tangent but...

help a brother out!

I would appreciate any positive comments about your own experiences and what you guys did over summer in regards to STEP 1 prep if you covered M1 material in an organ-based system!

Members don't see this ad.

SDN family. My loves. My peeps. My broheems.

Peep this.

Our program has already ran through all of neuro, cardio, and MSK and will be done with renal and GI in M1 before summer begins.

Gonna take 2 weeks off after school ends to hit up Vegas and gamble it up and hopefully win some money to pay deese loans off $$$ (not really... just got a nice wad of birthday money saved up for a grand time at the craps table!)

Leaves me about ~12-13 weeks (I think) to run through this material with FA, Pathoma, USMLE RX, and the Kaplan Qbank and the Kaplan videos.

My question is, how many fellow DO/MD students with an organ-based system did this and how much did it help?

I know it probably sounds sad or trollish, but in all honesty, I actually have nothing planned for summer. Literally nothing but going to the gym and the occasional video game binge on the weekends. Oh.. and eating amazing home-cooked food for the first time in a while.

Before I get the "live your life", and "don't study" comments.. I actually have nothing else.

*** This is where the thread get's dramatic... cue sad violin music and strings ***

I know. Lol It's pretty sad but I have lost contact with friends/acquaintances as they all moved away, got married, and/or just want to bang chicks and get drunk all the time. Not the life for me anymore.

I don't have a girlfriend (after dealing with a few bad experiences.. I just don't have the time or desire to look or date).

My performance during first year so far has been ~ average I'd say (maybe a percentage or two above it).

I was above average first half of the year and then right around and below average in a few courses the second half of the year before I discovered that I shouldn't just stare at powerpoints all day and actually use FA, Pathoma, and as many questions I could find on the net and in books (and **** anatomy practicals worth (10-20% of our grade in certain blocks...).

This could change as we do have a couple blocks left for M1 (hopefully for the better).

Nice tangent but...

help a brother out!

I would appreciate any positive comments about your own experiences and what you guys did over summer in regards to STEP 1 prep if you covered M1 material in an organ-based system!
Didn't study over summer due to summer research, but I think reviewing M1 material is definitely worthwhile. Just enjoy your break and don't beat yourself up if you don't do as much as you planned. But do NOT start new material. Save it for second year and really narrow down those pesky renal equations, murmurs, etc. it will not only help you on step 1 but also second year (and third and fourth).

If I could go back, I'd start Bro's. I didn't start until MS2 and wish I had started over the summer. I'd also watch all of sketchy micro and pharm -- even if you've never covered the material, seeing it once and semi-understanding it is helpful for when you see it again. My days are so packed with studying that even stopping to watch a couple sketchy pharm videos feels tight.

Reactions: 2 users
Figure I'd make this a just a minor update.

My vacay period is going to end in 2 weeks before I start my prep for 5 weeks.

I will be doing a modified UFAP ---> covering USMLE-RX (instead of Uworld as I'll save that when second year begins), Pathoma, and FA for every organ system besides repro, heme, GU, and psych as we haven't covered those organ systems yet. Also have Bros deck to quiz myself on the FA pages I read for the day.

Any advice as to how many days do you guys spend on one organ system? Meaning do you actually READ a whole FA section in one day? How do you quiz yourself by not wasting questions and incorporating the anki deck?

I appreciate any comments and helpful advice y'all can give.

I'll try keeping this thread as a journey to step 1 type of deal I guess.