DO schools withOUT mandatory attendance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BombsAway

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lots of beating around the bush in other threads. Lets just consolidate a list and get it over with.

Correct me if I'm wrong, and add any i'm leaving out.

PCOM
KCOM
NYIT-NY
SOMA
DMU
NYIT
NSU
PNWU
Rowan
WVSOM
MUCOM
Western (I believe both)
Touro-NV
LMU
KCU
CCOM
RVU
AT Still
TCOM
OU-HCOM

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
UNE is now mandatory

Here are a few more non-mandatory schools:
MUCOM
Western (I believe both)
Touro-NV
LMU
KCU

not sure of the others

Reactions: 1 user
TCOM's core lectures aren't mandatory, but we have mandatory flipped classroom stuff.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
CCOM

A.T. Still records everything so you can watch lectures at home if you want

RVUCOM
Only labs are required, or lectures that have a quiz (well if you want to pass the quiz)

Why did UNECOM make classes mandatory?

From what has been stated by a few UNE students, it was mainly due to a lot of students not showing up to class. It rustled the jimmies of many of the professors their. Thus the policy was changed as a results.

From what has been stated by a few UNE students, it was mainly due to a lot of students not showing up to class. It rustled the jimmies of many of the professors their. Thus the policy was changed as a results.
The professors there need to do some reading on what works in medical education. Lectures aren't on the list anymore.

Reactions: 13 users
I heard NSUCOM is "mandatory" but not enforced.

I heard NSUCOM is "mandatory" but not enforced.
Definitely not enforced, but I don't even think it's mandatory. I have several friends who are current students, and almost none of them regularly attend lecture.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oklahoma State University COM is not mandatory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kycom has mandatory attendance only for the first semester to my understanding.

Sent from my Pixel using SDN mobile

What about VCOM-CC? Does anyone know about their lecture policies?

I believe the VCOMs are mandatory attendance. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

TouroCOM NY. Flipped classroom. Online lectures, class is clicker questions to solidify material (if you want to go). Note: clickers are worth 10% so it's "mandatory"

Pretty sure lectures aren't mandatory at AZCOM

At DMU around half of our classes this first semester have required attendance, but a lot of the core classes (biochem, anatomy, ect) are not mandatory except for labs of course

I wanted to bring this thread back to life to see what schools may have made changes in the past 2 years. I know KCU has undergone curriculum changes, but is it still non-mandatory? I hated to hear that OH-COM now has mandatory lectures :( and LECOM does not have mandatory lectures unless you are in the Lecture discussion pathway. The directed studies pathway and problem based pathway do not have lectures. This is not counting the first semester in which anatomy is learned. That is indeed required attendance.

PCOM (only philly - confirmed)
LECOM (DSP and PBL Confirmed)
KCOM (after first semester -confirmed)
NYIT-NY
SOMA
DMU (confirmed)
NYIT
NSU
PNWU
Rowan (Confirmed)
WVSOM
MUCOM
Western (I believe both)
Touro-NV
LMU
KCU (confirmed)
CCOM (confirmed)
RVU
AT Still
TCOM
LUCOM - confirmed
BCOM - confirmed

Are these all up to date or are there others to add/delete???

Last edited:
I wanted to bring this thread back to life to see what schools may have made changes in the past 2 years. I know KCU has undergone curriculum changes, but is it still non-mandatory? I hated to hear that OH-COM now has mandatory lectures :( and LECOM does not have mandatory lectures unless you are in the Lecture discussion pathway. The directed studies pathway and problem based pathway do not have lectures. This is not counting the first semester in which anatomy is learned. That is indeed required attendance.

PCOM
LECOM (DSP and PBL)
KCOM
NYIT-NY
SOMA
DMU
NYIT
NSU
PNWU
Rowan
WVSOM
MUCOM
Western (I believe both)
Touro-NV
LMU
KCU
CCOM
RVU
AT Still
TCOM

Are these all up to date or are there others to add/delete???

Can confirm that DMU and RVU are not required

DMU has a decent amount of required

Biochem, anatomy, cell bio and clin med are optional, and physicianship and bioethics and OMM lecture are required. That’s not counting clin med lab, OMM lab, cadaver lab and small groups.

Just lecture that’s 4 optional vs 3 required

Biochem, anatomy, cell bio and clin med are optional, and physicianship and bioethics and OMM lecture are required. That’s not counting clin med lab, OMM lab, cadaver lab and small groups.

Just lecture that’s 4 optional vs 3 required

Hmm they lied at the interview haha...

I know KCU has undergone curriculum changes, but is it still non-mandatory?
KCU is still no attendance, with the exception of bioethics and a select few OMM lectures. Plus, obviously, labs.

• Love
M1 at CCOM here. Pretty much anything besides anatomy lab and OMM are not mandatory, but most classes will give extra credit pop quizzes so a lot of people will go for that. There's also always random mandatory stuff on campus each week so you kind of have to be there 9-5 most days anyway (ie foundations of osteopathic clinical practice the first 2 weeks of school, interprofessional studies, biochem workshops, and a bunch of quizzes/tests each week)

LUCOM: PCM, OMM, Ethics, TBLs and labs are required. Everything else is not required.

first year at BCOM here — our main science classes are not mandatory. Labs are and our principals of clinical medicine lecture Are mandatory (the class where we learn doctor stuff basically). We have an occasional TBL activity in our science classes course which is mandatory. Most science lectures are recorded and posted so people can watch later as well.

OMS-I at KYCOM. Attendance is mandatory for the first semester but not after that. I’m super jealous of non-mandatory classes and am counting down the days until I don’t have to sit in lecture.

PCOM satellite campuses (South GA and GA) have mandatory attendance for clarification. Unlike PCOM-Philly

I go to a school with mandatory attendance (80%), but they take a class pic once or twice a week...
I rarely go to class and don't get in trouble