DO School: To go or not to go?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh I agree that you shouldn't just go off of what one person says. Multiple people can give a somewhat more accurate picture though. As to the above I completely disagree. You don't think that the students at OSU (who do all but their rural rotations at their teaching hospital) or MSU (who do all their rotations at their plethora of teaching hospitals) have better overall clinical education than all the private schools who farm their students out to a large number of spots over a number of states?

If they do rotate all their students through a teaching hospital with gme then that is great. But if they do it only with most of their students and the students that dont want to or they dont have room for them so they have to do im or surg or whatever in smaller community places or outpt clinics then its no different. I dont know either of those schools that well though. But the rotation setups at the old osteo schools really arent different than the rotations at my fairly new school. At least the old ones i am familiar with.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Considering how big RVU's OPTI is, I can't imagine that its clinical sites aren't at least pretty solid. I know I'm going to hear the bleat of "But community-based, tho..." but unless you're talking about OG PCOM, MSU, or KC-UMB, I don't know if a DO school would have better ones.

I get a little ooged out when they have residencies at for-profit hospitals, but you'd at least be working with residents.

Awww OP actually had an interesting conundrum but we've evolved into "let's rank the DO schools!" yet again.

The problem is there's too much variability even within schools-- most have great sites and crappy sites, and even within hospitals most have great rotations and not-so-great ones.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Awww OP actually had an interesting conundrum but we've evolved into "let's rank the DO schools!" yet again.

:shrug: OP asked what was a good way to differentiate between DO schools and all I said was to look at the clinical education, and that a general rule was the state schools and most established schools had the more consistent clinical ed.

The problem is there's too much variability even within schools-- most have great sites and crappy sites, and even within hospitals most have great rotations and not-so-great ones.

Let's not act like this stuff is unique to DO schools either. My old job had MD students showing up for preceptor based rotations and that school is ranked pretty highly. They did those rotations with DOs too.

SDN really harps on this stuff a lot (and it is a legitimate issue that needs attention by the higher ups in osteopathic medical education) but I can't tell you guys how many docs I've talked to that say it doesn't matter because everyone "sucks" when they show up for intern year.

OP, just go to the DO school that's most convenient if you don't get in MD.

Reactions: 4 users
:shrug: OP asked what was a good way to differentiate between DO schools and all I said was to look at the clinical education, and that a general rule was the state schools and most established schools had the more consistent clinical ed.

In reference to my post above, I probably weighed my DO school options with 10-12 doctors and the only thing they all agreed on was don't attend a new school.

Without asking, one doc told me to go to one of the original 5 if I had the chance for a better clinical education because his was "terrible".

Then I found out he went to OSU. My mind exploded. According to SDN, he got some of the "best" clinical ed you can get at a DO program. But he wished he had it "as good" as his friends who went to the more established schools.

My point is that none of us really know much about clinical education at schools we haven't attended. The only consistent thing is ironically variability. Just pick the one without mandatory attendance that's geographically convenient and end this discussion once and for all.

Reactions: 8 users
Would be very careful with what DO schools say is "100% match rate" since many dont understand the difference between match and placement and unless there is some reason students would actually want to match to a TRI or preliminary year without an advanced residency the. you can bet most DO schools did not match 100% pre-SOAP.

Your academics are in the range for MD schools. But you sort of are in a predicament. If you drop this cycle and reapply you may still have a fighting shot to go MD.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

With the whole merger bull**** going on...

Take that RVU deferred acceptance... apply to MD schools in the meanwhile.

I pray that you get that MD tho. :)

In my schools experience, it is only the worst students or the most foolish students who end up having to scramble. I have also had some Stellar students get into some really good top name residency programs but were required to do a traditional year rotation first.

Would be very careful with what DO schools say is "100% match rate" since many dont understand the difference between match and placement and unless there is some reason students would actually want to match to a TRI or preliminary year without an advanced residency the. you can bet most DO schools did not match 100% pre-SOAP.

Your academics are in the range for MD schools. But you sort of are in a predicament. If you drop this cycle and reapply you may still have a fighting shot to go MD.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

With your stats you should've been a shoe in for atleast one MD program. Seems to suggest you have issues either writing or interview skills. If you're confident you can improve either of those, then by all means wait for RVU and try again for MD. Tough choice good luck!

With your stats you should've been a shoe in for atleast one MD program. Seems to suggest you have issues either writing or interview skills. If you're confident you can improve either of those, then by all means wait for RVU and try again for MD. Tough choice good luck!

Eh can't be writing with interviews to Mayo and Wake. Interviewing is a definite possibility. My personal opinion is that he was a good applicant at the schools he interviewed at but didn't have anything stand out enough to get the outright acceptance and was just put on the waitlist.

Let's not act like this stuff is unique to DO schools either. My old job had MD students showing up for preceptor based rotations and that school is ranked pretty highly. They did those rotations with DOs too.

What a silly thing to say. The problem isn't about having any preceptor based rotations! It's a bit hard to have a Family Medicine or outpatient IM rotation for instance that isn't preceptor based. Portions of my rotations were preceptor based too: FM, IM, peds. But I also had a thorough and intense inpatient IM and peds rotations which included ICU time at the VA and university hospital respectively. That latter part is what is often missing at DO schools.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

What a silly thing to say. The problem isn't about having any preceptor based rotations! It's a bit hard to have a Family Medicine or outpatient IM rotation for instance that isn't preceptor based. Portions of my rotations were preceptor based too: FM, IM, peds. But I also had a thorough and intense inpatient IM and peds rotations which included ICU time at the VA and university hospital respectively. That latter part is what is often missing at DO schools.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I don't disagree with you. Simply pointing out that there are lackluster rotations and variability at MD schools too. There are also wards based rotations that students learn little from and preceptor based rotations that students learn a ton from at both md/do schools. You'd be hard pressed to find someone arguing in favor of DO clinical ed over MD. I'm simply pointing out that there are issues at most schools.

This is wildly off topic.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just checked back into this. Like I said, I own and manage a gym, full of friendly people that wanna BS and exercise, so I'm great at talking to people. I assume I just didn't stand out enough. I actually had the head of the admissions committee state that his committee wasn't looking for NonTrads. So, it's just a frustrating process. Since writing this thread I have even considered not going to medical school because I feel relatively burnt that I may be another year before I can even begin my life(28 years old).

Just a tough spot to be in when lots of people are raining on my so-called parade I was hoping for.

Eh can't be writing with interviews to Mayo and Wake. Interviewing is a definite possibility. My personal opinion is that he was a good applicant at the schools he interviewed at but didn't have anything stand out enough to get the outright acceptance and was just put on the waitlist.

I recently procured interviews at both eastern LECOM schools as well. Adds more to this dilemma.

To further this, my friends at RVU state they wish they weren't going to be doctors anymore. Sigh.

At the end of the day, it just sounds like you need to prioritize what you want. Do you want to finish 1 year earlier, at the risk of not getting into a highly competitive specialty by going DO? Or do you definitely want the MD after your name at the expense of starting med school later?

There are no guarantees, ever, so you just have to want one of the scenarios more than the other. Be honest with yourself and put yourself into that scenario 100%. Usually when we ask these questions of "what should I do?" you have an answer you want to hear the most already. Follow that answer for yourself.

As for the statement "my friends at RVU state they wish they weren't going to be doctors anymore," honestly, we all get burnt out (especially right before tests, and then again after). I question my decision to be doctor once every week at least! Med school is hard, no matter if you're a DO or MD. But there's always something that pulls me back into what I'm learning that gives me a push towards that finish line. I think this is the case for most of us (obviously some people do end up deciding to switch careers).

Being "in limbo" totally sucks. Most of us can say we don't really love putting our lives on hold for 4+x years. Hope you can figure things out, OP!

Reactions: 1 user
I ask myself this same question every day. There's a lot of pros and cons either way. My field of interest is not highly competitive, but I want to do it. It's the reason I keep thinkin medicine over Dentistry or PA.
I don't need a ranking system to tell me where to go. I just know little about what I'm getting into with schools like Touro and LECOM. I know nobody there, and many reviews are negative.
If I keep putting it off, will I be burnt out solely from waiting?
I can't seem to find these answers in my thoughts.

I just know little about what I'm getting into with schools like Touro and LECOM. I know nobody there, and many reviews are negative.

Have you tried contacting the schools themselves to see if they have student shadowing programs/overnights? I know my school does these things, and this may help you to get some of the answers you are looking for. Of course, this comes with time and money, so definitely budget what you can!

If I keep putting it off, will I be burnt out solely from waiting?

From my own personal experience, yes. I worked for 4 years after graduating from college to do a DIY post-bac and honestly I think if I had waited any longer I would not have been able to put in the amount of effort required to get through the application process. Waiting really stinks, and not knowing what you're going to be doing in the next year really stinks too. The process takes a lot out of you, as I'm sure you know. Just the thought of going through it again makes me anxious @_@ It takes so much energy and tunnel-vision to get done what you have to get done, I wish you the best!

Honestly I would do as other people said and take the Western admission and run with it. If you get off the waitlist for the MD schools that's great- just decline Westerns offer. But I wouldn't wait a whole year just to go to another DO school seeing as though you're already in your late 20s. No reason to stress about it- you're going to be a doctor (if you still choose)- that's not something many people have the luxury of saying. Get perspective. The one recommendation I would give you is to enjoy the remaining months you have before school starts- it only gets harder... Good luck with the decision.

Have you tried contacting the schools themselves to see if they have student shadowing programs/overnights? I know my school does these things, and this may help you to get some of the answers you are looking for. Of course, this comes with time and money, so definitely budget what you can!

From my own personal experience, yes. I worked for 4 years after graduating from college to do a DIY post-bac and honestly I think if I had waited any longer I would not have been able to put in the amount of effort required to get through the application process. Waiting really stinks, and not knowing what you're going to be doing in the next year really stinks too. The process takes a lot out of you, as I'm sure you know. Just the thought of going through it again makes me anxious @_@ It takes so much energy and tunnel-vision to get done what you have to get done, I wish you the best!

It is a draining process. Every day I feel anxious that I'm making the wrong decision.

It's nice to hear some positive opinions from actual students at least for a change.

The longer it's been since I've visited a school the harder it becomes. However money is running thin, especially if I have to apply again.

Shadowing at a school seems like it would be an enjoyable process, I'm just unsure how realistic it is.

I just checked back into this. Like I said, I own and manage a gym, full of friendly people that wanna BS and exercise, so I'm great at talking to people. I assume I just didn't stand out enough. I actually had the head of the admissions committee state that his committee wasn't looking for NonTrads. So, it's just a frustrating process. Since writing this thread I have even considered not going to medical school because I feel relatively burnt that I may be another year before I can even begin my life(28 years old).

Just a tough spot to be in when lots of people are raining on my so-called parade I was hoping for.

Just chiming in to say, 28 yo is not all that old. I have several students in my class in their 30's and 40's. It's a long road to medicine, but if it's what you want to do, don't let being 28 hold you back. Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Dude, you don't start your life with the start of med school. You've already started your life. The whole medicine process is just one hurdle or sequence after another until you're an established attending in your 30s (or early 40s) - and even then there's more hurdles. Its a commitment that basically never ends.

You will have 4 yrs of med school and at least 3 more years (up to 7, 8, 9 etc. depending on field and fellowships) of training before you're actually out there as an attending working independently. In the grand scheme of things 1 yr is not a lot, but don't make the mistake of thinking day 1 of med school is it.

Looking back on the last almost 4 yrs, it's been a blur, but one thing is abundantly clear, I have only just begun.

If it seems like too much to you now before even starting, I'd really consider sitting down and reevaluating your goals. Is this what you want? Can you be happy in something else, maybe something shorter? We've all had to ask ourselves this over and over.

Reactions: 3 users
Dude, you don't start your life with the start of med school. You've already started your life. The whole medicine process is just one hurdle or sequence after another until you're an established attending in your 30s (or early 40s) - and even then there's more hurdles. Its a commitment that basically never ends.

You will have 4 yrs of med school and at least 3 more years (up to 7, 8, 9 etc. depending on field and fellowships) of training before you're actually out there as an attending working independently. In the grand scheme of things 1 yr is not a lot, but don't make the mistake of thinking day 1 of med school is it.

Looking back on the last almost 4 yrs, it's been a blur, but one thing is abundantly clear, I have only just begun.

If it seems like too much to you now before even starting, I'd really consider sitting down and reevaluating your goals. Is this what you want? Can you be happy in something else, maybe something shorter? We've all had to ask ourselves this over and over.

This is great advice. I stepped back and asked myself this question over the past few weeks. I realized I could enjoy my career in other fields so I was looking into those. However certain things, such as watching the NBA playoffs and seeing Wounded Warriors ads, driving past the Paralympic headquarters keep pulling me back to my passion. This is what I want. It just gets tough being waitlisted and feeling dejected.

Last edited:
Correct. Currently waitlisted and still waiting to hear back from others. The dilemma is should I go this year to a school I feel less confident about, or wait for next year for a school that I feel more confident about?
As far as waitlist goes, I know nothing about what will happen there. I feel a stronger draw toward DO than MD but if I were accepted off the waitlist to a great MD school I would probably go.
Wait. Better school is important.

If you have the slightest inclination that you would like to do something other than primary care then you should go MD. If you want to do primary care and have the slightest inclination to have a choice of where you will want to do your primary care residency then you should go MD. Basically, a lazy MD applicant with average or less than average board scores is => a hardworking DO applicant with good board scores. Not to mention, if you go DO then you automatically will not even be considered for a large number of residency programs in a large number of fields.

Opened post and read your stats.

Go MD.

Take a year and pump out research and whatever you can do to pad your app.

Teach piano to the unfortunate or do some reading and writing camp for those less fortunate.

Once again...

IDC who you are...

MD is just much less headache than DO.

GO MD AND DO NOT LOOK BACK!

Reactions: 3 users
I know this thread is long dead, but I'm in a dilemma sort of like JMAC. I don't have DO students to ask and wanted to know if your opinions would differ with me. I have a 3.95 and have an unbalanced 503 (127/124/128/124 with unmedicated migraines), IL resident, and set to apply in a week. I understand that DO is really the only way to go now, my ECs, LORs, and PS are good but they won't make up that score. Honestly, I want to work in rural medicine and don't have any ambitions to hit high tier specialties. I have considered maybe EM, GS, or FM/IM with certain low competitive fellowships (I know my mind may change), but just being a physician is fine with me.

However, the last practice test I took I got a 128/124/128/129 but I blanked on taking the real one because of verbal. I understand the work of how to bump verbal, I just didn't have the time. I could take it again, be a Mn resident, and work for a year in a hospital. What I'm saying is with what you guys have experienced so far in DO school, what would you do in my situation?

Hi All,
So I have the opportunity to attend a DO school this year that isn't at the top as far as pass rates for COMLEX goes, but had 100% match rate in 2016.

I have the opportunity to attend a DO School next year that has much higher pass rates and consistent 100% match rates.

I also may have the chance to attend MD schools with storied success.

My question is: Is it worth it to put off attending for a year in order to go to a school that may be of higher success rates for students? (I'm going to leave names out of this). Or is it worth it to start a year earlier, regardless?

My statistics. sGPA: 4.0 cGPA 3.85 MCAT: 513

I would take that RVU deferred acceptance. For your gap year, you should get a gig at a research lab and boost your humanistic pts by volunteering at something fun.

There are a lot of unnecessary bs at DO schools that aren't conductive toward maximizing your matching potential at a competitive specialty in a desired location. There are some days in which I regret my decision of not taking a gap year.

I know this thread is long dead, but I'm in a dilemma sort of like JMAC. I don't have DO students to ask and wanted to know if your opinions would differ with me. I have a 3.95 and have an unbalanced 503 (127/124/128/124 with unmedicated migraines), IL resident, and set to apply in a week. I understand that DO is really the only way to go now, my ECs, LORs, and PS are good but they won't make up that score. Honestly, I want to work in rural medicine and don't have any ambitions to hit high tier specialties. I have considered maybe EM, GS, or FM/IM with certain low competitive fellowships (I know my mind may change), but just being a physician is fine with me.

However, the last practice test I took I got a 128/124/128/129 but I blanked on taking the real one because of verbal. I understand the work of how to bump verbal, I just didn't have the time. I could take it again, be a Mn resident, and work for a year in a hospital. What I'm saying is with what you guys have experienced so far in DO school, what would you do in my situation?

I would apply DO this cycle. With lower scores plus wanting to go rural and primary care potentially, I think you would have a better shot at DO. I was in almost an identical situation 5 years ago. And now I'm a doctor. Why wait the extra year of lost income if you don't have to? Your backup plan could always be to work for a year in a hospital like you mentioned. Always have a backup when applying to med school.

Just apply to DO and your state MD schools now. I would also apply to 10 private MD schools like Oakland Beaumont, NYMC, Drexel, etc. A 503 really isn't that bad for MD, especially with your GPA. You'll be fine for DO.

Just apply to DO and your state MD schools now. I would also apply to 10 private MD schools like Oakland Beaumont, NYMC, Drexel, etc. A 503 really isn't that bad for MD, especially with your GPA. You'll be fine for DO.

I agree with this. Also look into the RIMSAP program for UIC. Its mission is to promote rural medicine without limiting your specialty choice. If you're from central IL or south of that you should have a good shot at SIU. I'm also an IL resident and learned a lot this past cycle. I'm going DO, but my stats were lower than yours.

If you have the slightest inclination that you would like to do something other than primary care then you should go MD. If you want to do primary care and have the slightest inclination to have a choice of where you will want to do your primary care residency then you should go MD. Basically, a lazy MD applicant with average or less than average board scores is => a hardworking DO applicant with good board scores. Not to mention, if you go DO then you automatically will not even be considered for a large number of residency programs in a large number of fields.
IS IT true that many residency programs wouldn't consider a D.O?

i have to believe that when the merger is complete all residencies and fellowships will take D.O.s or there will be law suits

I find it very hard to believe there will be some sort of "affirmative action" to ensure DO placement in residency programs.

i have to believe that when the merger is complete all residencies and fellowships will take D.O.s or there will be law suits

Accept their applications sure. NYU IM used to explicitly say on their website. "No DOs", and that has since been taken down. Just because they will accept their applications it doesn't mean that they have to interview or rank them to match.

Guys - you are in the now @AnatomyGrey12 @nowanmd - give me some input. Finally after a long cycle and many years of questioning, self doubt, I finally got into a D.O school at my state (low tuition) and one of the finest DO. schools in the country. I don't know yet what to specilize in - just trying to start this adventure and see how it goes.

I have to believe waitresses smile at me because they like me. But no, there's nothing illegal about making hiring decisions based on education and degrees.

It is not fishy. I believe that PMR would be better suited to a DO. And I believe in OMM. However I know that having an MD degree could potentially open doors for me as it is a more common degree, be it residencies or location. And this is much more important in the long run.
My biggest fear is limiting myself before even stepping foot in medical school. I feel stuck in this regard.

My bestfriend is going into Pm&r. What you say is a huge misconception.

Pm&r is open to DO students because the program directors are cool, but if you actually do OMM or bring it up, half the rotations will give you a low grade and bad eval on your way out.

Just because a place is DO friendly, does not mean it's OMM friendly.

My bestfriend is going into Pm&r. What you say is a huge misconception.

Pm&r is open to DO students because the program directors are cool, but if you actually do OMM or bring it up, half the rotations will give you a low grade and bad eval on your way out.

Just because a place is DO friendly, does not mean it's OMM friendly.

Maybe just stop trying to sell the "DO brand" on interviews and just sell yourself as a qualified physician?

If you have the chance to go MD then do it because OMM is a timesink and huge waste of time (minus a few cool techniques with muscle energy and stuff... but PTs and Masseuses essentially do the same ****).

Oh and the fact you have to take more board exams.

No matter where you go, your success lies upon your own efforts.

Maybe just stop trying to sell the "DO brand" on interviews and just sell yourself as a qualified physician?

It's not about selling the DO brand. It's more about DO students being mislead about omm and pm&r. What we do vs what Pm&r docs do are worlds apart.

Pm&r is a very science and evidence-based field and bringing up OMM is the kiss of death.They manage TBIs, stroke, Guillan-barre, etc. Do procedures, and so on.

We diagnose Left on Right sacral torsions and do rib rasing on post-op patients. Thinking that OMM is even remotely beneficial to pm&r or that it gives DO students an advantage over MDs is to be wrong.

MDs have a 99% match rate in Pm&r, DOs only have an 80% match rate.

Last edited:
if you're unsure give the opportunity to someone who is sure.

it doesn't matter which DO school you go to. Others may recognize the name because they know someone who went there, but no one is going to be impressed. There is no DO school that gives you added length.

Last edited:
Why do you feel insecure?
It's been a tossing and turning decision reading up on the negatives of DO with debt, matching limitations, rotations etc. Also knowing that I have the capacity to hit 512+ is mind numbing. But Hakuna's point is the other side of things, time. That and I've also read up on wonderful times of DO students. It's hard when SDN is one of your only points of reference -_-

I would apply DO this cycle. With lower scores plus wanting to go rural and primary care potentially, I think you would have a better shot at DO. I was in almost an identical situation 5 years ago. And now I'm a doctor. Why wait the extra year of lost income if you don't have to? Your backup plan could always be to work for a year in a hospital like you mentioned. Always have a backup when applying to med school.

This is my primary drive for applying, the fact that it's all the same in the end and waiting a year to get the same result is dumb. I am nervous about finding an interest in a specialty like ortho, ENT or something else I have not explored yet.

I agree with this. Also look into the RIMSAP program for UIC. Its mission is to promote rural medicine without limiting your specialty choice. If you're from central IL or south of that you should have a good shot at SIU. I'm also an IL resident and learned a lot this past cycle. I'm going DO, but my stats were lower than yours.
Thanks guys, it's nice to have some encouragement. AnatomyGrey, that's my plan at the moment.

Unfortunately I'm from the suburbs, I developed this passion working with the rural community around my college in Minnesota.

Guys - you are in the now @AnatomyGrey12 @nowanmd - give me some input. Finally after a long cycle and many years of questioning, self doubt, fear- I finally got into a D.O school at my state (low tuition) and one of the finest DO. schools in the country. I don't know yet what to specilize in

If you're going to a state school then go. If there are any advantages between DO schools they are found at the state ones. Which one? You can PM me if you want.

It's not about selling the DO brand. It's more about DO students being mislead about omm and pm&r. What we do vs what Pm&r docs do are worlds apart.

Pm&r is a very science and evidence-based field and bringing up OMM is the kiss of death.They manage TBIs, stroke, Guillan-barre, etc. Do procedures, and so on.

We diagnose Left on Right sacral torsions and do rib rasing on post-op patients. Thinking that OMM is even remotely beneficial to pm&r or that it gives DO students an advantage over MDs is to be wrong.

MDs have a 99% match rate in Pm&r, DOs only have an 80% match rate.

Match rate is 89% for MDs and 77% for DOs in PM&R for ACGME. Unless you mean placement rate?

Sounds like your undecided on specialty. I think the exact same about rural locations tho, so I get it. Your MCAT is similar to what mine was (I had a 61 percentile, so w/e that converts to), and mine was also unbalanced towards verbal actually, but your GPA is better. Honestly I was wait listed at several MD schools with multiple DO acceptance. I decided that I wanted to start and didn't care about the MD cause I wasn't interested in surgery. I really think that my decision was a bit short sighted. If I did exactly the same as I am doing in my DO program but as an MD I would have quite a bit more options. Time will tell, but I wish I had just waited the extra year and got my MCAT right.

I think you should take the deferred acceptance (you kind of implyed that you have it by saying similar to OP) and try again. The DO grad situation is so murky right now with the huge increase in DOs over the next four years (going from 5k this year to 7k by 2020), that its hard to predict how it will be like in 4 or 5 years for DO's, whereas USMD will have the same advantages they always had. And the tuition will be cheaper/actually have financial aid, and you get one less class (OMM). I know waiting an extra year is scary, but if you got in a DO school this year, you can certainly do it again next year, even without the deferment.

Guys - you are in the now @AnatomyGrey12 @nowanmd - give me some input. Finally after a long cycle and many years of questioning, self doubt, I finally got into a D.O school at my state (low tuition) and one of the finest DO. schools in the country. I don't know yet what to specilize in - just trying to start this adventure and see how it goes.
Low tuition is pretty key, if it is a state school then you did good.

MD doesn't "potentially open doors", it absolutely opens doors; although, DO does not necessarily close doors..
I'm no genius and that is a hell of a logic puzzle.

Hi All,
So I have the opportunity to attend a DO school this year that isn't at the top as far as pass rates for COMLEX goes, but had 100% match rate in 2016.

I have the opportunity to attend a DO School next year that has much higher pass rates and consistent 100% match rates.

I also may have the chance to attend MD schools with storied success.

My question is: Is it worth it to put off attending for a year in order to go to a school that may be of higher success rates for students? (I'm going to leave names out of this). Or is it worth it to start a year earlier, regardless?

My statistics. sGPA: 4.0 cGPA 3.85 MCAT: 513

Go MD. From what I understand, 513 ~ 29-31 from the old scoring system. I applied to very few MD and mostly one DO and (unfortunately) matched DO with similar stats as you. The regret in my life for not applying broadly to MD eats me up every single day. MD opens doors. DO closes doors. Just trust everybody who says this. MD provides much more support vs. DO where you're just out trying to figure **** out on your own (in terms of academic support). **Do not go DO**. Apply broadly to MD. One or two years of your life after college doesn't matter as much. Just trust somebody who was in your exact predicament 4 years ago, please (after 2 years from college!)