DO School List Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Elina10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
First thing first... I'm an international student and so my school list is narrow

GPA: 3.73 & sGPA: 3.6-ish. MCAT is 513 (128, 125, 129, 131)
Have substantial medical and non-medical-related volunteers, shadows, leaderships, works, etc

My major focus will be MD but I'd like to apply to 6-8 DO schools as back-ups.

My major concerns for a DO school will be reputation and easiness to get interns (match rate).

Here's my current school list:
PCOM
MSUCOM
CCOM
LECOM
NSU-COM
WesternU (Pomona)

Also thinking about TCOM, RowanSOM, TouroCOM, PCOM-GA, LMU-DCOM, and VCOM-VC. How's these schools compared to the above once?

Any suggestions about the list will be appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

First thing first... I'm an international student and so my school list is narrow

Have substantial medical and non-medical-related volunteers, shadows, leaderships, works, etc

My major concerns for a DO school will be reputation and easiness to get interns (match rate).

PCOM
MSUCOM
CCOM
LECOM
NSU-COM
WesternU (Pomona)

Also thinking about TCOM, RowanSOM, TouroCOM, PCOM-GA, LMU-DCOM, and VCOM-VC. How's these schools compared to the above once?

I'm at CCOM now, feel free to message me if you have any questions

PCOM
MSUCOM
CCOM
LECOM
NSU-COM
WesternU (Pomona)

Rowan, DMU, these are a few other well established programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
With your stats you don't need to include LMU or VCOM on your list. Also, are you Canadian? If you're not Canadian or a Michigan resident I would get rid of MSUCOM. Also, if you're not a Texas resident I would get rid of TCOM. KCU-COM and AZCOM are good to add as well, as they are well established schools.

With your stats you don't need to include LMU or VCOM on your list. Also, are you Canadian? If you're not Canadian or a Michigan resident I would get rid of MSUCOM. Also, if you're not a Texas resident I would get rid of TCOM. KCU-COM and AZCOM are good to add as well, as they are well established schools.
No I'm not Canadian :[[[
KCU-COM doesn't take international students, but AZCOM does. Thanks for the suggestion! I'm gonna do a research on AZCOM.

Rowan, DMU, these are a few other well established programs.
Thanks for the suggestion!
DMU doesn't accept internationals. I don't know too much about Rowan besides knowing it's a well established program. Gonna do some more research on it.

I'm at CCOM now, feel free to message me if you have any questions
How do you like CCOM so far? How many international students are accepted each year on average? How hard is it to get into a competitive internship? I'm thinking of doing family medicine but I might change my mind.
Thanks you so much! I've done some research about CCOM and I really like it :]]]

How do you like CCOM so far? How many international students are accepted each year on average? How hard is it to get into a competitive internship? I'm thinking of doing family medicine but I might change my mind.
Thanks you so much! I've done some research about CCOM and I really like it :]]]
If you're thinking of family medicine, or any primary care specialty, you won't have an issue matching no matter which MD or DO school you attend. If you're chasing a "prestigious" match, that's another story.

Reactions: 1 user

I think that CCOM thoroughly prepares their students for the clinical rotations and for Step/COMLEX. I don't know the exact number of international students accepted but I think we have 2 or 3 in my class.

It's possible to get into a competitive specialty but that mostly depends on you - if you go to CCOM and get a 260 on Step 1 and a 740 on COMLEX 1 and graduate with a 3.9 GPA then you'll probably be able to pick any specialty. If you are a B/C student and get a 220 on Step 1 and a 500 on COMLEX 1 then you're going to have a bit more trouble being super selective when it comes to matching. But we have had students match ortho, urology, gen surg, etc. so if you put in the work, CCOM's reputation will only help you.

Rule #1 for applying to DO schools: don't apply to state schools unless you're in state. I raise my eyebrows whenever a "check my school list" thread lists both, say, MSU and Rowan. Like dude, what state are you in? Do your research!

Oklahoma, Texas HSC, Rowan, Michigan State, and Ohio Heritage should be avoided unless you're in-state. NYIT is notorious for automatically giving "silent rejections" to many of those without a New York address. Pacific Northwest should be avoided unless you're in-region.

Rule #2 about applying DO: The highest-regarded DO schools are the state schools, followed by the oldest ones (ATSU, Des Moines, PCOM, KCU, CCOM are known as the "original five")