DO School 3rd/4th year rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msoccer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the best way to assess the quality of DO school rotations, mainly 3rd year core rotations?

Members don't see this ad.

What is the best way to assess the quality of DO school rotations, mainly 3rd year core rotations?
Ask 3rd and 4th year students. Look at the current sites/hospitals. Realize that by the time you get to your third year those sites could all be different. From what I've researched it's a bit of a gamble so your best bet is go to older more established schools. They are less risky than the newer less established schools.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Ask 3rd and 4th year students. Look at the current sites/hospitals. Realize that by the time you get to your third year those sites could all be different. From what I've researched it's a bit of a gamble so your best bet is go to older more established schools. They are less risky than the newer less established schools.

Totally agree with all this. Generally speaking, the PCOMs CCOMs and DMUcoms of the world have very good clinical rotations. I've also read excellent reviews of ACOMs clinical rotation system, but in general the newer schools can be somewhat hit or miss, and frankly that could have pretty big implications for your career.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you heard anything about Western U?

They're very solid.. I actually know a resident at my under grad universities hospital who went to western and had nothing but good things to say about his rotations.

What are some things I can look for that can indicate the rotations are a miss? I'm considering a newer school, and the rotation sites all seem to be solid and are located at decent sized hospitals.

What are some things I can look for that can indicate the rotations are a miss? I'm considering a newer school, and the rotation sites all seem to be solid and are located at decent sized hospitals.

Hmm tough to say.. I think asking students there is prob your best bet.

Look a lot of new schools are really solid programs! Don't be deterred simply by the founding date.

Look at preceptor based vs. Ward based. Size is good as larger hospitals will likely have more variety.

I am also interested in answer to this question. I struggle evaluating the quality of rotation sites.

It is really hard to judge before you are a student honestly, even hospital size doesn't really tell you anything as long as it is somewhat decent sized like 200+ beds. One thing I would do is look at the sites and see how many have residency programs. Once you start school the best way is to ask the upperclassmen what the better sites are (generally don't worry about it until 2nd year) The rule of thumb is that the more established schools will tend to have more good rotation sites than not. Every school will have some combination of good ones and bad ones