NHSC Do people take out extra loans with NHSC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuperGrover44

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Delete

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The NHSC pays a monthly stipend of approximately $1300. This is to be used for living expenses. You could certainly take out additional loans if needed, though, if the $1300 isn't enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can certainly apply for federal loans; there is no reason why you shouldn't try if you need the extra money.

Based on your post history, I agree that it will be tight - I went to Jefferson, so I'm familiar with the area. Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 users
I am a current scholar in finishing service repayment. During school, I did take all federally subsidized loans thinking it would be helpful when moving for residency and starting a family. The money definitely made transitioning more comfortable but now that I am more settled, I wonder if it would have been better not to accrue the $30K debt I wouldn't have otherwise. I am applying for loan repayment to get rid of the rest, but it would be nice not to think about that.

[...] I wonder if it would have been better not to accrue the $30K debt I wouldn't have otherwise [...]

Do you mean 300k? Certainly you could've paid off 30k living frugally for just a few months out of residency?

Do you mean 300k? Certainly you could've paid off 30k living frugally for just a few months out of residency?

Purchased home, spouses educational debt, supporting family of 5 on family medicine salary...weighing that against 30K that I will likely be able to get loan repayment for. Certainly I can pay off the 30K. However, in looking back, I'm not sure I really needed to take the debt on and credit always = interest. In my situation I think it will have been worth it due to likely loan repayment but my current attitude towards any debt is to take it on only when ABSOLUTELY necessary.