Do medical schools accept any form of statistics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

schoolgirl99

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious if medical schools accept different forms of statistics. For example, there is a course called 'elementary statistical inference' or would they only accept something like 'principles of statistics I'?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm curious if medical schools accept different forms of statistics. For example, there is a course called 'elementary statistical inference' or would they only accept something like 'principles of statistics I'?

Depends entirely on the school. And course requirements only need to be fulfilled before matriculation and not before applying. Once you get accepted to a school, contact them to see whether you have met their requirements.

It would depend on the course description for those schools that are more open-minded. I've seen Business Stats, Econ Stats, and Psych Stats accepted at some schools, but not everywhere. Through what department is this class offered?

Members don't see this ad :)
I took Engineering Stats - I kind of assumed this would be acceptable everywhere, but I also have Diff Eqs, Calc 1, 2, & 3, and a few other math classes, so I haven't been focusing on math requirements since I pretty much have those covered. I have seen some schools that prefer biostats, such as Harvard: "One year, including one semester each of calculus and statistics (preferably biostatistics)" I can't think of other places off the top of my head (except maybe the Baylor/Rice combined MSTP program), but most schools I have looked at have stated "preferably" when referencing a specific type of statistics, so it sounds like any stats class would suffice.

I'm not sure about the differences between the two classes you are referencing, but you're probably safer with the second option if you haven't taken any, yet.

It would depend on the course description for those schools that are more open-minded. I've seen Business Stats, Econ Stats, and Psych Stats accepted at some schools, but not everywhere. Through what department is this class offered?
The class would be offered through the math department!

I took Engineering Stats - I kind of assumed this would be acceptable everywhere, but I also have Diff Eqs, Calc 1, 2, & 3, and a few other math classes, so I haven't been focusing on math requirements since I pretty much have those covered. I have seen some schools that prefer biostats, such as Harvard: "One year, including one semester each of calculus and statistics (preferably biostatistics)" I can't think of other places off the top of my head (except maybe the Baylor/Rice combined MSTP program), but most schools I have looked at have stated "preferably" when referencing a specific type of statistics, so it sounds like any stats class would suffice.

I'm not sure about the differences between the two classes you are referencing, but you're probably safer with the second option if you haven't taken any, yet.
Yeah, I agree with you. I do have my math requirements down with engineering maths - diff eq, cal 1, 2, and 3 as well!