DO LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amlope03

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious, has anyone ever received an acceptance WITHOUT a letter of recommendation from a DO?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, especially to PT school. Hope that's not your real pic, or part of your name, need to remove if you haven't already been told. DO LOR help but are not required for half the schools.

Sorry, I didn't know it was "against the rules" to ask a question on another forum for a friend.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, I didn't know it was "against the rules" to ask a question on another forum for a friend.
:smack: I answered your question. Nowhere in your original question did you indicate that the question was for someone else. The suggestion about your name and picture should be common sense (and notice I never stated you were breaking the rules). I can see that the baseline knowledge is low, so I will break it down for you.

A. Yes you can get into DO school without a MD letter (only about half require a DO letter, and even those will usually interview you without one).
B. If you are pre-pt, don't be a tightwad if I make a joke about you asking a pre-DO question, especially if you never indicated that it wasn't for you.
C. It is common knowledge in the premed forum that Admins/Adcoms scout SDN (and now you are aware). Therefore if you have your picture up, with parts of your real name as a user, they can find you and use that as one more reason not to accept you.

Your welcome.

Last edited:
The reason you don't want your real name and picture is that admissions committee members are on SDN. If you're immaculate you maybe don't have anything to worry about. If you're soliciting advice how to make a mountain out of your molehill of volunteering, or cracking snarky jokes, it might not go down too well. There is an old story about someone having an acceptance rescinded over social media.

Some DO schools might not required a letter. But many of those, like Rowan, say it's strongly recommended. They will ask "why DO?" So unless you are not living within 50 miles of a DO, have a parent who is a DO, etc. it may not fly.

I do not think there is any reason a pre-PT student should get flack for asking a pre-DO question. What's wrong with having a change of heart?

Last edited:
I know what you mean, man. It's really PAINFUL to get a DO LOR.

Rimshot!

I was accepted without a LOR from a DO & got II to 7/11 DO schools I applied to.

Also didn't know that DO schools existed until November. Honest to GOD thought a DO was just an MD trained physician who had done some sort of special additional fellowship.