Do I stand a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crusader2576

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a sophomore student athlete who has decided to change his major from business to pre-dental last semester. I have fallen in love with the dental field, but would I have a chance to get in Dental school with my current GPA being a 2.3? I was always a great student in high school, but honestly I would have to say that I have been lazy as far grades go in college so far. Waking up at 5 each day to workout/have football practice and then going to class 30 minutes prior is no easy feat. I am truly willing to push to become a dentist, but I'd like to know if I stand any sort of chance in doing so with my current GPA.

Thanks

(I have not taken any important sciences up this point either such as gen chem, ochem, or biology)

Members don't see this ad.

If you applied with a 2.3 the chances of you getting in are probably near if not zero, just start taking your prereqs and try to pull up your GPA from this point

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't be applying no time soon.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
2.3=sudden death rejection. Aim for above 3.0 at least. Even then a DAT of 21AA+ minimum.

You need to bring your GPA to 3.0 or above. Maybe retake some of the classes you did not do well in. Change your study habits. Also, you need to have at 21+ DAT as mentioned above. How are your EC/Volunteering?

You need to bring your GPA to 3.0 or above. Maybe retake some of the classes you did not do well in. Change your study habits. Also, you need to have at 21+ DAT as mentioned above. How are your EC/Volunteering?

Would re-taking classes be a negative to schools? And I have plenty of volunteer work done & I plan to have at least 600 shadowing hours as well

Many schools wont even look at your application with a sub 3.0
Retaking isn't bad, but keep in mind that they average the grades.

You have 2 years to bring your GPA up. If you bring it up to over a 3.0 and do well on the DAT, you have a decent chance specially since you are an athlete (hopefully D1 athlete). Admission doesn't take D1 athletes lightly.

Science classes carry more weight in admission than non-science so don't count yourself out. Take all the pre reqs and kill it in those classes and that should bring up your overall gpa significantly. As others said, crush the DAT and you should be alright. Make sure to shadow a general dentist for 100+ hours as well.

1. Take your sciences and get A's.
2. Nobody in dental admissions will give you a pass for being an athlete (nor should they). Certainly nobody here feels bad for you. That train starts and stops with undergrad's coddling for football/basketball student athletes, in ways that would make people shake their head in shame. Quit football if you need to study more for getting into dental school.

Reactions: 1 users
You're early in the game. My first semester I got a 3.1x, I finished school with nearly a 3.7.

As long as you're serious and change your study habits no reason you can't raise your GPA to above 3.0, if you have to do a Masters after school.

You have 2 years to bring your GPA up. If you bring it up to over a 3.0 and do well on the DAT, you have a decent chance specially since you are an athlete (hopefully D1 athlete). Admission doesn't take D1 athletes lightly.
Thanks for the input, and yeah I go to the University of Missouri

You're early in the game. My first semester I got a 3.1x, I finished school with nearly a 3.7.

As long as you're serious and change your study habits no reason you can't raise your GPA to above 3.0, if you have to do a Masters after school.
Appreciate the input, makes me feel a lot better. Definitely going to bust my ass to raise my GPA and do well on the DAT

Reactions: 1 user
1. Take your sciences and get A's.
2. Nobody in dental admissions will give you a pass for being an athlete (nor should they). Certainly nobody here feels bad for you. That train starts and stops with undergrad's coddling for football/basketball student athletes, in ways that would make people shake their head in shame. Quit football if you need to study more for getting into dental school.
I understand that clearly, just wanted to give a insight on why I didn't do so well earlier. I'd say that I have recently gotten used to managing both football and school.